'86 302 Balance question

Old November 14th 04, 05:54 AM
Ironradio

Default '86 302 Balance question

I realize this FSB balance issues have been asked and answered here
before but I have an additional couple questions.

I recently bought a vehicle which has a '86 5.0L Mustang engine which
vibrated when it ran. I noticed the ring on the harmonic damper was
cocked and thinking that was the problem, I bought a new 50 oz. damper
to replace it with. When I pulled the bad damper off, I noticed it was
a 28 oz model - no wonder the engine vibrated!

In checking with the guy who put together this engine he admitted to
putting on a 1965 damper - a '65 flywheel too! I checked the flywheel
he put on and its an old 160-tooth model. (slap - slap!)

Now for my question - I now have a good damper on the engine now but
as for the flywheel, should it be a neutral balance or a 50 oz.
imbalance? The engine runs pretty vibration free now, so I'm guessing
that I need a neutral balance 'wheel. Is that correct? Does the '65
160-tooth flywheel have neutral balance? Do I need to get that old
flywheel off of there or should it be OK?

Thanks!
Old November 14th 04, 09:31 PM
Mark

Depends on what year the engine (crankshaft) is. The '65 flywheel is a 28oz
imbalance so it too would need to be changed, that is, if it's actually a
later model engine. I would be suspicious because a 28oz flywheel on a 50 oz
crank would still vibrate like hell. As far as I know there is no "neutral
balance" flywheel/flex plate from the factory. It's either 28oz or 50oz
imbalance unless you're running a custom crank. Be sure you figure out what
you're engine is because an out of balance condition would ruin the engine
very quickly. I wouldn't drive it until everything got worked out.

Mark

om...

Old November 14th 04, 09:42 PM
Ironradio

Going on the assumption that its an '86 302 with a 50 oz imbalance, it
now has a 50 oz. imbalanced damper. So is the engine now balanced or
does it also need a 50 oz. imbalanced flywheel for a total of 100 oz.
of external balance? Does just the damper need the 50 oz. imbalance
weight or does the flywheel need one too?

Thanks, Dave
Old November 14th 04, 11:05 PM
Deadcarnahans

> Does just the damper need the 50 oz. imbalance
>weight or does the flywheel need one too?

Get the 50oz flywheel or flexpate (A/T).
You must have this. No other balance will work.

DC
Old November 15th 04, 05:37 AM
Mark

Early engine use a 28oz imbalance damper and flywheel. later use a 50oz
imbalance damper and flywheel. There's no mixing and matching.

"Deadcarnahans" > wrote in message
>> Does just the damper need the 50 oz. imbalance
>>weight or does the flywheel need one too?

> Get the 50oz flywheel or flexpate (A/T).
> You must have this. No other balance will work.
>
> DC

Where to get Official Speed Limit Info [email protected] Driving 40 January 3rd 05 08:10 AM
009 Distributor question [email protected] VW air cooled 5 December 31st 04 10:52 AM
BMW Recommended Tire Balance mwh BMW 8 November 9th 04 12:17 PM
JEEP question - 4.0 vs 4.0HO James Morrow 4x4 12 June 2nd 04 05:16 PM