Is 2.4 I4 really enough for a Wrangler?

Old May 7th 05, 02:22 AM
Indirecto

Default Is 2.4 I4 really enough for a Wrangler?

Hi folks,

I live in Chile and the only engine option for a Wrangler is a 2.4L gasoline
I4. It seems to me that this engine is not really suited for this truck.

It seems to me that the 2.8 I4 diesel in the Liberty (Cherokee down here)
would be a much better choice, but alas, it's not available.

What do you think?

-Indirecto

Old May 7th 05, 03:49 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

With mountains above twenty thousand foot, I vote no.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 7th 05, 04:31 AM
bryan

In rural WV, with lots of steep hills, but altitudes less that 4000 feet
usually, I have no trouble.
I have found in my short 2 months of Wrangler ownership that the
occassional downshift to 5th, and maybe even 4th sometimes covers the
bases. Off road has been fine too. Been places where only ATV have been
for years, with follow conversations being "you took your jeep THERE....."
With gas mileage ranging from a low of 20 to a high of 27, with the usual
being 24, I have to give praises to the 2.4 / 6-speed combo.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who kept ripping transmissions out of
his truck (He went through 1 a year usually). After telling him for years
that his particular trans was not only NOT rated for towing, the vehicle
owners manual specifically said DO NOT TOW with this transmission. (My dad
had the same truck/motor/trans).
He finally bought a truck suitable for the task of towing his camper, and
lived happily ever after.
The moral of the story I guess it pick the right tool for the right job.

4 cyl. Wranglers are fine for a lot of folks, but I can see where they
might not be the right tool for the job for everyone.

Just my 2 cents, which is probably more than it is worth.
:-)

Bryan

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III > wrote in
:

Old May 7th 05, 05:25 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Indirecto" > wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> I live in Chile and the only engine option for a Wrangler is a 2.4L
> gasoline I4. It seems to me that this engine is not really suited for
> this truck.

Yes.

Old May 8th 05, 01:40 AM
mic canic

it is available, we have one sitting on our lot

Old May 8th 05, 07:00 AM
Dave Milne

You have a 2.8 diesel WRANGLER in your lot ?

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old May 8th 05, 07:26 AM
ElAlumbrado

"Indirecto" > wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> I live in Chile and the only engine option for a Wrangler is a 2.4L
> gasoline I4. It seems to me that this engine is not really suited for
> this truck.
>
> It seems to me that the 2.8 I4 diesel in the Liberty (Cherokee down
> here) would be a much better choice, but alas, it's not available.
>
> What do you think?

If you plan on doing *any* freeway or highway driving, avoid the
4-cylinder. I have a 4-cylinder 2000 Wrangler that (1) will just plain
not reach 70 mph under any circumstances and (2) gets no more than 17
mpg under the best of conditions. The little 4-cylinder is just not
enough engine for this vehicle and you'll end up running the poor thing
at max power most of the time (which is not a good thing to do to any
engine). It is, however, a great around-town run-about, seems pretty
happy at 34-45 mph (still returning only 14-17 mpg, though), and has
sufficient power for most "light duty" offroad chores.

Yes, a diesel Wrangler would be a much better choice than the 4-cylinder
gas engine. Too bad Jeep won't sell us one here in the States.

El Alumbrado
"Civis Texanus Sum"

Old May 8th 05, 07:32 AM
ElAlumbrado

"bryan" > wrote:

> With gas mileage ranging from a low of 20 to a high of 27, with the
> usual
> being 24, I have to give praises to the 2.4 / 6-speed combo.

Bryan, you are the only person I have ever heard of that claims more
than 18-19 mpg out of a 4-cylinder Wrangler. I expect 14-15 mpg out of
mine (a 2000/5-speed), and sometimes see as much as 17. A neighbor has a
2005 4-cylinder/6-speed Wrangler and does a little better, but still
does not see as much as 20 mpg.

What are you doing differently than the rest of us?

El Alumbrado
"Civis Texanus Sum"

Old May 8th 05, 10:39 AM
Indirecto

What is available... the diesel?

Old May 8th 05, 10:53 AM
Dave Milne

I don't believe they make a diesel Wrangler anywhere.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ