Oil around spark plugs 1991 2.2 EFI engine

Old April 28th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Oil around spark plugs 1991 2.2 EFI engine

1991 Accord EX wagon, 192k miles. I had some trouble getting through
the emissions inspection this year excess NOx. I've checked the EGR
valve by the manual, vacuum on the port, and it doesn't stall the
engine just slowed it down a little so I'm figuring I need to cleanup
or replace the EGR. I figured I might as well also tune the engine
since I've acummulated 15k miles since the car was given to us. I
pulled a spark plug wire and found it loaded with oil. I have no
experience with this car but I'm guessing that is abnormal. The
achives talk about this, but it's not clear to me exactly how to tackle
this problem. Looks like I need to take off the valve cover and work
my way down. The manual shows a plate that has grommets that I assume
seal the plug stems, but I've seen some advice about taking off the
rocker arm. Can I get away with new grommets and a new valve cover
gasket? I also figure I'll check the valve clearance while I'm in
there.
Bob

Old April 28th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

For a Honda this age, the chances are good that the seals
(O-rings, to be exact) lower down, beneath the rocker tower
like you noted, have failed. If you're handy with cars,
their replacement is a do-it-yourself job. See
http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id3.html for more
discussion.

Comes up here from time to time.

"lswpubrw" > wrote

Old April 28th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Elle wrote:
> For a Honda this age, the chances are good that the seals
> (O-rings, to be exact) lower down, beneath the rocker tower
> like you noted, have failed.

elle, those things almost never go. the ones that go all the time are
the "b" gaskets at the top because they get disturbed each time the
rocker cover comes off. the undisturbed o-rings at the bottom of the
rocker assembly need to be subject to serious erosion before failure,
and frankly every /other/ single seal or gasket in the entire motor will
go before they do. i know /you/ replaced them, but it doesn't mean your
diagnosis was correct.

Old April 28th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

lswpubrw wrote:
> 1991 Accord EX wagon, 192k miles. I had some trouble getting through
> the emissions inspection this year excess NOx. I've checked the EGR
> valve by the manual, vacuum on the port, and it doesn't stall the
> engine just slowed it down a little so I'm figuring I need to cleanup
> or replace the EGR.

google this group for info on how to do it. they may even be a pdf on
tegger's website.

> I figured I might as well also tune the engine
> since I've acummulated 15k miles since the car was given to us. I
> pulled a spark plug wire and found it loaded with oil. I have no
> experience with this car but I'm guessing that is abnormal.

yes, but very common.

> The
> achives talk about this, but it's not clear to me exactly how to tackle
> this problem. Looks like I need to take off the valve cover and work
> my way down.

just replace the seals in the cover - the big one around the edge and
the 4 donuts that seal the plug holes - the "b" gaskets.

> The manual shows a plate that has grommets that I assume
> seal the plug stems, but I've seen some advice about taking off the
> rocker arm. Can I get away with new grommets and a new valve cover
> gasket?

yes. cost about a buck each and take about 10 minutes to replace. this
fixes the leak every time. go to any parts store - they'll have them
because its such a common failure.

> I also figure I'll check the valve clearance while I'm in
> there.

good idea. check the timing belt while you're there too. it's very
common for it to be incorrectly tensioned.