Disc Brake Conversion on C2

Old June 20th 05, 05:21 AM
StingRay

Default Disc Brake Conversion on C2

I'm considering doing a front disc brake conversion on my '63 and have been
looking at Stainless Steel Brake Corporation's "Front Force 10 2-Piston
Aluminum Caliper Disc Brake Kit ". I was advised by a local speed shop that
the 2 piston kit is excellent for a C2 and that a 3 or 4 piston system would
be a waste of money. I presently have the stock system with the single bowl
master cylinder and one brake-line. Has anyone done this conversion and do
you have any suggestions or recommendations? The kit has the dual bowl
master cylinder and all the necessary hardware, including the proportioning
valve. Did anyone who did the conversion have any unpleasant surprises? Any
pointers? All and any feedback would be appreciated. Here's a link to the
product:

http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/...ette&year=1963

Old June 20th 05, 07:54 AM
Tom in Missouri

You know that you can bolt on any '65 to '82 Corvette disc brake system with
only a few problems.

The easy way is to get spindles, calipers, and rotors from the front of one,
then get complete trailing arms, rotors, spindles, etc from the rear.

On a '63 and I think '64, you then have to cut the rear rubber snubber mount
off, as it sticks outboard and hits the caliper. You can get the one from a
'65 up and weld on if you want/need it.

The '65 up frame has a indent in the frame to clear the caliper, but I think
most clear even on the '63 and '64 without the indent.

Then run the standard Corvette dual master cylinder. You can get all of it
for less than the price of this conversion and if you add a power booster,
you will pull your teeth off the windshield.

Of course, if you watch eBay, you can find an entire chassis and just trade,
so you don't even have to change snubber mounts. You will have to cut out
the kickup braces on a late '68 up chassis, though, to fit under a Sting
Ray.

news

Old June 20th 05, 11:03 AM
Bob G.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:21:18 -0400, "StingRay" >
wrote:

>I'm considering doing a front disc brake conversion on my '63 and have been
>looking at Stainless Steel Brake Corporation's "Front Force 10 2-Piston
>Aluminum Caliper Disc Brake Kit ". I was advised by a local speed shop that
>the 2 piston kit is excellent for a C2 and that a 3 or 4 piston system would
>be a waste of money. I presently have the stock system with the single bowl
>master cylinder and one brake-line. Has anyone done this conversion and do
>you have any suggestions or recommendations? The kit has the dual bowl
>master cylinder and all the necessary hardware, including the proportioning
>valve. Did anyone who did the conversion have any unpleasant surprises? Any
>pointers? All and any feedback would be appreciated. Here's a link to the
>product:
>
>http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/...ette&year=1963

======================
Wish I could remember but it has been at least 10 years ,maybe longer,
since I tossed on a set of front disc on my 64 ... I usually buy from
s Brakes & Products but I am not sure if they sold me what I needed or
not... Anyway I retained the single chamber master cylinder, and used
regular Corvette C3 style calibers and rotors...I can not remember
having any difficulty ...it was (I think) a straight forward job...

Bob Griffiths
64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes
Old June 20th 05, 04:08 PM
StingRay

"Tom in Missouri" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> You know that you can bolt on any '65 to '82 Corvette disc brake system
> with
> only a few problems.
>
> The easy way is to get spindles, calipers, and rotors from the front of
> one,
> then get complete trailing arms, rotors, spindles, etc from the rear.
>
> On a '63 and I think '64, you then have to cut the rear rubber snubber
> mount
> off, as it sticks outboard and hits the caliper. You can get the one from
> '65 up and weld on if you want/need it.
>
> The '65 up frame has a indent in the frame to clear the caliper, but I
> think
> most clear even on the '63 and '64 without the indent.
>
> Then run the standard Corvette dual master cylinder. You can get all of
> it
> for less than the price of this conversion and if you add a power booster,
> you will pull your teeth off the windshield.
>
> Of course, if you watch eBay, you can find an entire chassis and just
> trade,
> so you don't even have to change snubber mounts. You will have to cut out
> the kickup braces on a late '68 up chassis, though, to fit under a Sting
> Ray.

Thanks for the great feedback Tom! I had talked to a buddy who put C3
brakes on his '64 and he said that he had to do a fair bit of cutting and
fabrication to make it work. From what you're saying, he may have
exaggerated a bit. He also had problems clearing the hood with the
booster/dual master cylinder he used. I thought about using '65 parts but
then reconsidered and decided that I'd like a more modern system, although I
may reconsider this route again. Thanks again for your advice and input.

Old June 20th 05, 04:16 PM
StingRay

"Bob G." > wrote in message
> ======================
> Wish I could remember but it has been at least 10 years ,maybe longer,
> since I tossed on a set of front disc on my 64 ... I usually buy from
> s Brakes & Products but I am not sure if they sold me what I needed or
> not... Anyway I retained the single chamber master cylinder, and used
> regular Corvette C3 style calibers and rotors...I can not remember
> having any difficulty ...it was (I think) a straight forward job...
>
> Bob Griffiths
> 64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes

Thanks for the great feedback Bob. The single chamber master cylinder
really worries me and is the main reason that I started to consider a disc
conversion when I go to a dual bowl master cylinder. I have always worried
about the single chamber because it could be catastrophic if the single line
failed while driving at speed. I have the brakes checked regularly but I
just don't trust the old system since dropping the ZZ4 engine into the car.
Did you use a booster on your '64?

Old June 20th 05, 10:30 PM
Kickstart

> just don't trust the old system since dropping the ZZ4 engine into the
> car. Did you use a booster on your '64?

http://www.vbandp.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=176

try these folk .
They have always answered my questions and have great products

Kickstart

Old June 21st 05, 01:40 AM
Bob G.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:30:12 GMT, "Kickstart"

>> just don't trust the old system since dropping the ZZ4 engine into the
>> car. Did you use a booster on your '64?

No....
I am not a NCRS freak BUT my 64 only has two faults... misdated
expansion tank and the wrong bracket for the transistorized ignition
everything else is correct and I have tons of documentation all the
way back to the original order forms which were signed in Vietnam...

I still felt that I would feel a little better with disc brakes on the
front so I put them on...BUT retained the single chamber master
cylinder...now the car has 3 things wrong with it...

Who cares.. I drive it and have no intention of selling it

Bob Griffiths
64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes

Old June 21st 05, 03:24 AM
StingRay

Kickstart" > wrote in message
m...
>> just don't trust the old system since dropping the ZZ4 engine into the
>> car. Did you use a booster on your '64?

> http://www.vbandp.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=176
>
> try these folk .
> They have always answered my questions and have great products
>

> Kickstart

Thanks for the link Kickstart. I went right through VB&P's website but
couldn't find any conversion kits for a '63. I'll call them tomorrow to see
if they have one. I suspect that Tom in Missouri is right when he says that
the '63 & '64 were put together a bit differently.

Old June 21st 05, 03:31 AM
StingRay

"Bob G." > wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:30:12 GMT, "Kickstart"
> > wrote:

>>> just don't trust the old system since dropping the ZZ4 engine into the
>>> car. Did you use a booster on your '64?

> No....
> I am not a NCRS freak BUT my 64 only has two faults... misdated
> expansion tank and the wrong bracket for the transistorized ignition
> everything else is correct and I have tons of documentation all the
> way back to the original order forms which were signed in Vietnam...

I'll probably pass on the booster too. The disc brakes should be a
significant improvement over the stock drums, even without a booster. You
caught my attention with your comment about the transistorized ignition. I
had always thought that the '65 was the first year with the transistorized
ignition. Live and learn!

> I still felt that I would feel a little better with disc brakes on the
> front so I put them on...BUT retained the single chamber master
> cylinder...now the car has 3 things wrong with it...

It doesn't sound as if you have any regrets about putting discs on. My mind
is just about made up. Now I just have to figure out which product to use.

> Who cares.. I drive it and have no intention of selling it

Likewise. I've had the car for about 17 years now and I'll drive it 'til I
drop. Which hopefully is longer off once I put the discs on it!

> Bob Griffiths
> 64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes

Thanks for your sage advice Bob! - StingRay

Old June 21st 05, 11:49 AM
Kickstart

> Thanks for the link Kickstart. I went right through VB&P's website but
> couldn't find any conversion kits for a '63. I'll call them tomorrow to
> see if they have one. I suspect that Tom in Missouri is right when he says
> that the '63 & '64 were put together a bit differently.

I didn't see any direct matches either , a call should do it.
I'd be willing to bet they know what to do, first hand. I've been changing
over the suspension on my 79 and updating the brakes as necessary (as money
and time allow)

kickstart