driver license for trailers?

Old February 17th 05, 05:00 PM
Brian

Default driver license for trailers?

I'm doing a little research. I just learned that in Ontario you need to
have a A-class drivers license to tow a trailer over 4,600 Kg (roughly
10,000 pounds). That's the same license to drive tractor-trailers, and you
need annual testing and periodic medicals to keep that license, plus you
need a three month course and a tractor-trailer rig to even take the test.

The issue is that a lot of racers use fifth wheel trailers to haul their
race cars, and they often have GVWR's over 11,000 pounds. It seems that up
here those guys are breaking the law since most don't have A licenses. What
are the rules in the US? Everybody thinks that if the tow vehicle is an RV
or if the trailer has living accomodations in the front it is exempt, but it
ain't...I double checked that!

thanks for any data...
Brian

Old February 20th 05, 09:07 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Brian" > wrote in message
> I'm doing a little research. I just learned that in Ontario you need to
> have a A-class drivers license to tow a trailer over 4,600 Kg (roughly
> 10,000 pounds). That's the same license to drive tractor-trailers, and

you
> need annual testing and periodic medicals to keep that license, plus you
> need a three month course and a tractor-trailer rig to even take the test.
>
> The issue is that a lot of racers use fifth wheel trailers to haul their
> race cars, and they often have GVWR's over 11,000 pounds. It seems that

up
> here those guys are breaking the law since most don't have A licenses.

What
> are the rules in the US? Everybody thinks that if the tow vehicle is an

RV
> or if the trailer has living accomodations in the front it is exempt, but

it
> ain't...I double checked that!

Have you ever heard of a cop pulling over a rig towing a 11,000 pound
trailer just to check to see if they have an A-class license? Have you ever
heard of a rig towing that which mangaged to reach, let alone violate,
the speed limit?

I think there's very little opportunity for someone to be caught who breaks
this law - as a result they all do it.

Ted

Old February 20th 05, 03:01 PM
Steve W.

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message

> "Brian" > wrote in message
> > I'm doing a little research. I just learned that in Ontario you

need to
> > have a A-class drivers license to tow a trailer over 4,600 Kg

(roughly
> > 10,000 pounds). That's the same license to drive tractor-trailers,

and
> you
> > need annual testing and periodic medicals to keep that license, plus

you
> > need a three month course and a tractor-trailer rig to even take the

test.

> > The issue is that a lot of racers use fifth wheel trailers to haul

their
> > race cars, and they often have GVWR's over 11,000 pounds. It seems

that
> up
> > here those guys are breaking the law since most don't have A

licenses.
> What
> > are the rules in the US? Everybody thinks that if the tow vehicle

is an
> RV
> > or if the trailer has living accomodations in the front it is

exempt, but
> it
> > ain't...I double checked that!
> >

> Have you ever heard of a cop pulling over a rig towing a 11,000 pound
> trailer just to check to see if they have an A-class license? Have

you ever
> heard of a rig towing that which mangaged to reach, let alone violate,
> the speed limit?
>
> I think there's very little opportunity for someone to be caught who

breaks
> this law - as a result they all do it.
>
> Ted

Ask people in Florida what happens when you drive over the class of
license. Yes getting stopped and weighed happens a LOT it depends on
where you are and what the local DOT folks have for time/equipment. Some
states it isn't a priority, others it is nearly a religion.
RVs are exempt from a LOT of the rules. That is how you end up with 90
year old sucking on oxygen driving converted Prevost buses....
Oh and FYI you do NOT have to do the annual testing or medicals IF your
not employed as a driver.
Steve W.

Old February 21st 05, 04:20 PM
Brian

Ted, yes it happens, has happened, will happen again. Specifically, a
routine check of a dually towing a fifth wheel, not overloaded, not
speeding. Driver had to call for an A-class license holder.

A big crackdown on trailers up here, particularly horse trailers, race
trailers and so on. Annual inspections and chains, mostly, but some on
licenses. I wondered what the equivalent rules are in the US. Do you know?

Thanks,

Brian

Old February 22nd 05, 04:31 PM
Brian

I checked four states (actually three states and a commonwealth) yesterday,
and found that there is an ambiguous recreational vehicle exemption that a
lot of racers use to get around the rules. RV's are exempt from a CDL
requirement, but RV's aren't defined. One assumes that an RV is a
motorhome/camper, but there is a loophole that an rv is any ehicle used for
personal recreation, including going to races. There is also a loophole
that if your trailer, etc, is not used for commerce you may be exempt.

The confusing thing is that these nuggets of information are scattered about
the websites of these states. The CDL sections actually mirrored our laws
fairly closely - if your towed vehicle is over 10,000 lbs, you need an A
license. If your single vehicle is over 26,000 lbs you need a lesser grade
(B or D)license. The question is whether you can wrangle an exemption based
on RV status or non-commercial status.

My trailer isn't over 10,000 lbs GVWR, so I'm just going to get it
inspected, do a driver log and probably not be stopped - I never have been
and I don't speed with it, so I probably never will be.

Cheers, Brian

Old February 23rd 05, 03:52 AM
Steve W.

CDL is federal BUT the states can alter a LOT of things within thier
borders.
In NY.
RVs are exempt, Volunteer firefighters are exempt, Farm vehicles are
exempt. The BIG item is if your being paid to haul something.

--
Steve Williams

Old February 24th 05, 09:59 PM
SAMMMMM

i believe there's a physical check required for rigs around 17,000 pounds
not a cdl but still a medical check.
i got rid of my big stuff because of that. (and some other issues)
just my 2 cents, sam in pennsy.

Old February 25th 05, 08:01 PM
Steve W.

The physical is required with a CDL, IF you are driving a vehicle for
hire. If your driving you car or P/U you don't need it.
Thing I would like to see is eliminating the RV exemption crap.
Just scares me that a 90 year old sucking on an oxygen tank can be
driving a Prevost conversion bus down the highway at 75 mph with NO
testing.

--
Steve Williams