Alfa 156 2001 alarm deactivation in the UK?

Old August 31st 04, 11:22 AM
Bruce

Default Alfa 156 2001 alarm deactivation in the UK?

Can anybody help?

Everything I have read suggests that you can't deactivate the alarm in the
UK because they don't give you the keys. But I am totally fed up with it.
Two keys have now broken (the bridge contact underneath the button). I
'fixed' one by removing the cover with a knife and using silver foil to make
the contact, and now the other has broken. The second key was working by
connecting wires to the contacts and holding together but this one has now
stopped working altogether, doors and boot. My last trip home started with
the alarm going off for the first 5 mins or so and then fortunately it
stopped, only going off again when I opened the door. I really don't think
the alarm is worth the hassle and would like to deactivate it. But how?

Old August 31st 04, 04:48 PM
Jacopo

In my old 164 there was a key switch on the siren in the boot; but for the
156 (that I have actually) I really don't know. I know that there's a key
switch where the relés and resistors are, but it's operated by a key that -
as I understood - they don't give to you in the UK. Sounds strange to me.
The wouldn't do a copy of the original key with the serial number?

--
Jacopo
Prato, Italia

Old August 31st 04, 06:47 PM
Pete

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:48:32 GMT, "Jacopo" >,
wrote:

> they don't give to you in the UK. Sounds strange to me.

This is for reasons of UK motor insurance.
Having tried the key-fob bodged, the next step is going to be to
go to AR main dealer, with documentary evidence of ownership, and get
replacement keys. [this is detailed in the handbook]
If you decide to remove the alarm, by somehow by-passing it, you will need
to inform your insurers. You may not like the increase in premiums. One of
the pricings for insurance of the 156 is based upon the fact that it is
fitted with a Thatcham Class1 alarm/immobiliser. Without this, the cost of
insurance Will Rise. Up to you really. The new keys are dear, but could
save the same as increased premium for a year <g>

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)
Old August 31st 04, 10:47 PM
fmt

"Bruce" > wrote in message >...
> Can anybody help?
>
> Everything I have read suggests that you can't deactivate the alarm in the
> UK because they don't give you the keys. But I am totally fed up with it.
> Two keys have now broken (the bridge contact underneath the button). I
> 'fixed' one by removing the cover with a knife and using silver foil to make
> the contact, and now the other has broken. The second key was working by
> connecting wires to the contacts and holding together but this one has now
> stopped working altogether, doors and boot. My last trip home started with
> the alarm going off for the first 5 mins or so and then fortunately it
> stopped, only going off again when I opened the door. I really don't think
> the alarm is worth the hassle and would like to deactivate it. But how?

You should be able to deactivate the horn quite easilly. As you press
the main "lock the car / set the alarm" button on your keyfob, keep it
held down for about 5 seconds after the system engages. You should
hear 5 beeps in quick succession after the normal long tone to signify
the car alarm is activated. This has the effect of setting the system
security but disengaging the alarm system.

As far as I know you have to perform this same said operation every
time, since it doesn't remember it as a master command...not as far as
I know anyway.

Hope this helps.