New transmission

Old November 3rd 04, 03:37 PM
jtblue33

Default New transmission

Hello. I have a 99 explorer sport SOHC 99K miles. I just had the
entire transmission replaced: torque converter, transmission, bell
housing with pump. Sorry if I don't know all of the parts, that's
pretty much what they told me.

Just picked it up, it runs great.

Just curious as to cost. I paid 2450.00 to an independent shop and was
wondering if this was a fair price. I tried to shop around a bit but
it is time consuming and did some research on the internet as to cost.
But again, it was confusing as to what parts can be fixed separately,
what composed a total cost and what people described and what they
paid.

For instance, they broke it down to me like this:
torque converter, new part from ford $900 to install.
torque converter plus soft transmission rebuild $1500.
all of the above plus a new transmission, $2450. Which is what ended
up happening.

Does it sound about right? Can someone explain the parts?

Thanks in advance.
Old November 4th 04, 10:17 PM
RikiTikiTavi

(jtblue33) wrotenews:71a89f55.0411030737.434ebb61
@posting.google.com:

> Hello. I have a 99 explorer sport SOHC 99K miles. I just had the
> entire transmission replaced: torque converter, transmission, bell
> housing with pump. Sorry if I don't know all of the parts, that's
> pretty much what they told me.
>
> Just picked it up, it runs great.
>
> Just curious as to cost. I paid 2450.00 to an independent shop and was
> wondering if this was a fair price. I tried to shop around a bit but
> it is time consuming and did some research on the internet as to cost.
> But again, it was confusing as to what parts can be fixed separately,
> what composed a total cost and what people described and what they
> paid.
>
> For instance, they broke it down to me like this:
> torque converter, new part from ford $900 to install.
> torque converter plus soft transmission rebuild $1500.
> all of the above plus a new transmission, $2450. Which is what ended
> up happening.
>
> Does it sound about right? Can someone explain the parts?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Did you read some of the "transmission" threads here already or does your
news server suck so bad they have already disappeared?

I got a great deal from an nice shop for $1400, which replaced the torque
converter, all the soft parts (a rebuild kit) and the ODrive hard parts
that had come apart. He told me normally he would have charged $1900 for
the same job, but he gave me a break.

It doesn't sound too bad, not a giant rape. Not like AAMCO.

-- riki
--Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Old November 5th 04, 02:58 AM
Chief_Wiggum

Just had an AODE rebuilt..

included rebuild, Torque Converter, sprag and drum. $1,250.00 out the door
tax ^&all.

I had gotten other bids of $2,000 - $2,500 so even though it was a lot of
money I felt pretty good about it.*shrug*

what the hell happened to those $250.00 trans jobs you could get 10 yrs ago

Old November 6th 04, 03:56 PM
oz

Whatever happened to not having to have any transmission work done on your
vehicle? How in the hell did all of those cars, years ago, make it without
having to have their trannies rebuilt? My parents owned a 1968 Mustang with
a V-8 and never ever had a problem with the transmission and I never knew
person who had to have significant transmission work done like I do
nowadays.

Now doubt the current situation regarding the abundance of transmissions
being rebuilt has a lot to do with the computers and electronics on the
newer vehicles.

Old November 6th 04, 07:19 PM
Big Bill

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 15:56:00 GMT, "oz" >
wrote:

>Whatever happened to not having to have any transmission work done on your
>vehicle? How in the hell did all of those cars, years ago, make it without
>having to have their trannies rebuilt? My parents owned a 1968 Mustang with
>a V-8 and never ever had a problem with the transmission and I never knew
>person who had to have significant transmission work done like I do
>nowadays.
>
>Now doubt the current situation regarding the abundance of transmissions
>being rebuilt has a lot to do with the computers and electronics on the
>newer vehicles.

Personal opinion...
Back then, a vehicle reacing 100,000 miles was unusual.
Now, reaching 100.000 miles means it's just about broken in.
Odometers then only had 5 spaces (plus tenths), now they have 6,
because the vehicles last so much longer.
Times change; trannies now have much longer to go bad.

Electronics aren't a bad thing. When's the last time you had to have
your pointless ignition timed?

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old November 6th 04, 08:18 PM
Fred W

oz wrote:
> Whatever happened to not having to have any transmission work done on your
> vehicle? How in the hell did all of those cars, years ago, make it without
> having to have their trannies rebuilt? My parents owned a 1968 Mustang with
> a V-8 and never ever had a problem with the transmission and I never knew
> person who had to have significant transmission work done like I do
> nowadays.
>
> Now doubt the current situation regarding the abundance of transmissions
> being rebuilt has a lot to do with the computers and electronics on the
> newer vehicles.

That and a lot of cars (including the mustang you quoted) never used to
last much more than 100k miles. It wasn't common for an auto tranny to
fail because it never saw the kind of mileage current ones do routinely.

-Fred W
Old November 6th 04, 09:14 PM
oz

300,000+ miles on the Mustang and never a transmission problem. And,
actually, I knew a lot of people who had over 100,000 miles on their
vehicles without transmission problems.

Old November 7th 04, 01:28 AM
Big Bill

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 21:14:41 GMT, "oz" >
wrote:

>300,000+ miles on the Mustang and never a transmission problem. And,
>actually, I knew a lot of people who had over 100,000 miles on their
>vehicles without transmission problems.

Yes, but that wasn't normal.
The fact that you *remember* those examples points that out.
How many of your friends have cars with over 100K on them? It's just
not remarkable now.
I clearly remember that when a car went over 100K miles without major
engine work, the owner would appear in commercials and/or ads saying
that he used such-and-such a product to help it reach that milestone.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old November 7th 04, 04:18 AM
Hairy

> Then the mechanics think everyone is rich and dumb and just start
> overcharging everyone.
>
> And of course, every mechanic thinks he deserves a big house, two cars,
> full health insurance and lots of toys too!
> --

That's the American dream. Anyone who is willing to work for it, deserves
it.

Old November 7th 04, 02:43 PM
Fred W

oz wrote:
> 300,000+ miles on the Mustang and never a transmission problem. And,
> actually,

Well, you will have to admit that a 300k mile mustang is a rare thing
indeed. The cars were cheaply built and the designers never intended
for them to last so long.

>I knew a lot of people who had over 100,000 miles on their
> vehicles without transmission problems.

I do now, too. It's not the single instances, but the averages that
make the case one way or the other

-Fred W