shocks/struts

Old October 30th 04, 11:48 PM
Derek

Default shocks/struts

Just had my 97 Explorer XLT (135k miles) in the shop and they told me I
needed
new struts on the front and new shocks on the rear. What is the difference
between
shocks and struts and why does the front need one and the rear the other?
Thank you.

Old October 31st 04, 01:08 AM
Jim Warman

A '97 that needs front struts........ I'd like to think it might have been a
slip of someones tongue but I have this nagging voice in the back of my head
screaming "Back away....... NOW".

With this amount of time and mileage, your current shocks will have degraded
slowly enough that you have yet to notice anything extrordinary - new,
quality pieces will surprise you as to how ride quality has degraded since
new. I have a problem with the shops usage of the term struts when talking
about the front. "Struts" brings visions of high parts prices and large
labour quotes since struts are more complex in physical design, absorb
different forces and require more time to install than the shocks you do
have.

Parts and labour costs for the front should closely mimic parts and labour
prices for the rear. If your shops pricing reflects this, OK... if the
fronts are sky high compared to the rear, find a different shop. Be aware
that, if you have the active suspension, it's gonna hurt either way.

The nitty gritty. Both shocks and struts dampen suspension action (without
dampers, the springs would constantly try to find equalibrium..... bouncing,
bouncing, bouncing, boun..... ). Shocks attach one end to the frame and one
end to a suspension component.... usually a control arm. Struts attach one
end to frame and one end to steering knuckle. There are two kinds of struts.
The MacPherson strut is a coil over design while the modified MacPherson
strut is a coil beside design. A shock absorber doesn't need to absorb side
forces while the strut (as a component of the steering system as well as
being a component of the suspensions system) needs to absorb side loads and
twisting loads.

HTH

Old October 31st 04, 02:52 AM
Searcher

Struts on the front??? Thats funny, I have a 97 XLT and mine has shocks.
Incedently, I just replaced them myself for $120. and about an hour of my
time with Rancho RS 5000's. Leave the mechanic and go to your nearest auto
parts store and ask them about replacements for yours, I am sure you will be
surprised.
BTW, The difference that you will notice is immediate. The other poster was
very right about your not noticing the ride quality.

Searcher1

Old October 31st 04, 03:07 AM
Jim Warman

Rule #1..... I'm ALWAYS right...

Rule #2 If I'm not right, refer to rule #1...... <insert BSEG here>

Just jokin', folks.....

Old October 31st 04, 06:23 PM
Bob Kegel

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message

> With this amount of time and mileage, your current shocks will have
> degraded
> slowly enough that you have yet to notice anything extrordinary ...

The wife's '95 Explorer has the air ride suspension and 135K miles. As you
say, we haven't noticed anything extraordinary. The shocks aren't leaking
and the diagnostic panel says the system is OK. The Explorer spends most of
its time on paved roads in good condition.

Replacing the air ride shocks will cost about $800 in parts alone. Does the
air ride system compensate for wear or would that $800 produce a dramatic
improvement?

Old October 31st 04, 06:59 PM
Jim Warman

That's kind of a double edged sword, Bob.... With that kind of miles I would
certainly expect a $250 improvement in ride quality (roughly what regular
shocks would cost). I would NOT expect to see an $800 improvement in ride
quality.

With the costs associated with interactive suspensions, I (personally) would
be inclined to wait for something more identifiable in the way of problems.
Your shocks will have experienced some degradation in ride quality (erosion
will occur in the piston ports) just as surely as a stream will round off
jagged rocks but I would question whether it is economically sound to pump
that much money into an aging automobile. Much of what I do is based on
judgement calls - this is one of those times.

As a side note..... active suspensions offer some interesting and 'nifty'
benefits. For my own part, I doubt that I would feel the difference in ride
height and it's associated CofG improvements with my driving style. I would
be hard pressed to purchase a vehicle with this amount of added complexity.

HTH

Old November 1st 04, 12:09 AM
David E.B. Smith

On 10/31/04 12:23 PM, Bob Kegel wrote:
> "Jim Warman" > wrote in message
>

>>With this amount of time and mileage, your current shocks will have
>>degraded
>>slowly enough that you have yet to notice anything extrordinary ...

> The wife's '95 Explorer has the air ride suspension and 135K miles. As you
> say, we haven't noticed anything extraordinary. The shocks aren't leaking
> and the diagnostic panel says the system is OK. The Explorer spends most of
> its time on paved roads in good condition.
>
> Replacing the air ride shocks will cost about $800 in parts alone. Does the
> air ride system compensate for wear or would that $800 produce a dramatic
> improvement?

Just had it done on our '96 Limited (with air ride) at 140K miles. It
made a world of difference. It was wallowing and weaving at Interstate
speeds and beating us to death on bad roads. With working shocks, it
actually handles *well*. Was that worth $800 for parts? Well, paying the
bill I wished I had an XLT without air ride...

Be aware that as someone else discovered, the replacement shocks no
longer have electronic damping adjustment. Originally, the air ride
shocks would supposedly change from soft to firm damping based on speed,
steering angle, size of bumps in the road, and a host of other factors.
The current replacment shocks don't do that, they only adjust ride
height and spring rate with the air system. The diagnostic system
doesn't seem to notice, but it also didn't notice when the alternator
went out on a Sunday night in the middle of Iowa in 8 degree weather....

---

David E.B. Smith
Old November 1st 04, 12:42 AM
Jim Warman

At least the alternator went out while it was still warm out 8^)

Old November 2nd 04, 12:05 AM
tobybul

The 98 does not have struts. Its like my 97. They just have plain shock
absorbers - front and back. They are extremely easy to replace (monroe,
kyb, gabriel, etc).

Old November 2nd 04, 05:07 AM
Jerry

Jim Warman wrote:
> With this amount of time and mileage, your current shocks will have degraded
> slowly enough that you have yet to notice anything extrordinary - new,
> quality pieces will surprise you as to how ride quality has degraded since
> new.

I recently had the shocks on my 99 XLT replaced at 90K miles. They
weren't leaking and still seemed to be working fine. I just figured it
had to be time. Replacements are Monroe Reflex. Unfortunately I can't
say that I notice any difference in ride or handling. :^(