Oil Consumption A4 2.4

Old October 10th 04, 09:49 AM
martyn

Default Oil Consumption A4 2.4

Can anyone please give an indication of what to expect the oil consumption
to be after 15K miles??

I have heard somewhere that it can be high!!??

Is 1 litre/1000miles too high??

Thanks for any info.

Martyn

Old October 10th 04, 11:57 AM
Richard Goulding

"martyn" > wrote in message
> Can anyone please give an indication of what to expect the oil consumption
> to be after 15K miles??
>
> I have heard somewhere that it can be high!!??
>
> Is 1 litre/1000miles too high??
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> Martyn

This is 'normal' according to Audi dealers. My 2.8 A4 uses a litre per 2000
miles and I have had this checked and is ok. Yours may reduce as the engine
gets older. It is expensive though as the oil is Castrol SLX Longlife 2
which at the dealers costs about 12ukp. I get mine from Ebay and save a fair
amount. I wonder if oil consumption reduces with the normal regime as
opposed to the longlife changes.

Hope this Helps

Richard

Old October 10th 04, 01:03 PM
ronny

"martyn" > wrote in message
> Can anyone please give an indication of what to expect the oil consumption
> to be after 15K miles??
>
> I have heard somewhere that it can be high!!??
>
> Is 1 litre/1000miles too high??
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> Martyn

My 2.6 although sold now used no oil between services, and I sold it with
160k miles on, although it was just below the line after 10k miles

Ronny

Old October 10th 04, 04:06 PM
Peter Smith

"martyn" > wrote

<< I have heard somewhere that it can be high!!?? >>

It can be higher at the start. The engine is settling in, and that can use a
little more oil than normal.

Peter Smith

Old October 10th 04, 04:57 PM
Steve West

My 2.4 has 20,000 miles now and is still using approximately a litre every
3000-4000 miles, depending on how I drive it. When new it used a litre
every 1000 miles but seems to be settling down a bit now.

Apparently, how you run them in can make a big difference to the oil
consumption, as can the oil. Mine came with the synthetic Castrol SLX
longlife oil in from new so you have to expect a prolonged bedding in
period.

There is much discussion about the subject of oil usage on the
www.audiworld.com website forums. I have just come to accept it uses oil
now although i'd like to think that one day it will eventually properly bed
in!

Old October 10th 04, 06:36 PM
Peter Bell

In message >
"martyn" > wrote:

> Can anyone please give an indication of what to expect the oil
> consumption to be after 15K miles??
>
> I have heard somewhere that it can be high!!??
>
> Is 1 litre/1000miles too high??
>
> Thanks for any info.

The 2.4 is renowned for high oil consumption and, according to Audi,
1 litre/1000miles is acceptable.

Old October 10th 04, 09:49 PM
Wayne Crannell

In article >,
"martyn" > wrote:

> Can anyone please give an indication of what to expect the oil consumption
> to be after 15K miles??
>
> I have heard somewhere that it can be high!!??
>
> Is 1 litre/1000miles too high??
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> Martyn

I can count on using a quart per 10000 miles. I use synthetic.

--
Wayne Crannell
Xxxxxxx, TX

Neuspeed chip!!!!!!!!! darren Audi 13 October 9th 04 10:57 AM
164 oil consumption question Emjay Alfa Romeo 3 October 8th 04 02:06 PM
Alfa GT Servicing & running costs Vic Wolyncevic Alfa Romeo 1 August 11th 04 10:50 AM
fuel consumption of 3.2l GT? Thomas Hahn Alfa Romeo 7 June 12th 04 07:49 PM