I know...I know....I know..but...

Old August 15th 04, 11:07 PM
JJ

Default I know...I know....I know..but...

do you seriously go 10,000 miles between oil changes? We all grew up on the
3,000 mile deal. Is it synthetic? I just bought this A4 with 15,000 and it
says I'm not due till hell freezes over!!!!!

Old August 15th 04, 11:30 PM
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

JJ wrote:

>do you seriously go 10,000 miles between oil changes?

No

>We all grew up on the 3,000 mile deal.

Who is "we all"?

I certainly didn't. Since I can recall My fathers cars (some 30 years
ago) we never changed at less than the company recommendation.

>Is it synthetic? I just bought this A4 with 15,000 and it
>says I'm not due till hell freezes over!!!!!

Possibly. My A6 needs oil changes every 35.000 km and the 4 cylinder
TDI's go until 50.000 km.

Regards

Wolfgang

--
1999 Audi A6 Avant TDI
Old August 16th 04, 09:49 AM
Peter Bell

In message >
"JJ" > wrote:

> do you seriously go 10,000 miles between oil changes? We all grew up
> on the 3,000 mile deal.

Blimey - those must have been the days when you had to lift the head for
a decoke every other month - my dad used to talk about doing this back
in the 1940s.

Even when I started driving in the 1960s we were on 6000 mile intervals.

I suspect that the oil/service companies are taking the American public
for suckers!

Yes, my RS6 is on 10,000 mile intervals, because it has a 'performance'
engine. My previous car (A6 2.7T) was on 20,000 mile intervals.

Old August 16th 04, 02:26 PM
Hairy One Kenobi

"JJ" > wrote in message
> do you seriously go 10,000 miles between oil changes? We all grew up on

the
> 3,000 mile deal. Is it synthetic? I just bought this A4 with 15,000 and it
> says I'm not due till hell freezes over!!!!!

Only on the fixed service - otherwise it's nearer to 18,000.

The oil is fully synthetic and (just for reassurance on that 3000 thing) -
my 1971 mini used to go 6000 between changes. That's with 1950s technology,
and mineral oil.

Extreme climate and performance aside, 3,000 is very low and (AFAIK) very
much a US thang.

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Old August 17th 04, 06:46 PM
Jorge Fonyat

Adding my two cents:
From everything IŽve read we can now change oil at far more than 3K
miles.
We can debate how much... I wouldŽt go too far from 7.500.
No objective data to support that. Just the fact that an engine
overhaul is so expensive that I prefer to "invest" in oil.
On the other hand I feel there is a second and perhaps as important
variable: time.
I run a very low monthly mileage. This means that making 7.5K takes me
well over one year.
In this case, again, no objective data, I change synthetic every year
or mineral every six months.
On top of low mileage I have lots of very low mileage use from cold
engine.
IŽd really like to know your thougths
Old August 18th 04, 12:40 AM
Hairy One Kenobi

"Jorge Fonyat" > wrote in message
om...
> Adding my two cents:
> From everything IŽve read we can now change oil at far more than 3K
> miles.
> We can debate how much... I wouldŽt go too far from 7.500.
> No objective data to support that. Just the fact that an engine
> overhaul is so expensive that I prefer to "invest" in oil.
> On the other hand I feel there is a second and perhaps as important
> variable: time.
> I run a very low monthly mileage. This means that making 7.5K takes me
> well over one year.
> In this case, again, no objective data, I change synthetic every year
> or mineral every six months.
> On top of low mileage I have lots of very low mileage use from cold
> engine.
> IŽd really like to know your thougths

For low mileages (like mine! ;o), I agree.

AFAIK, Audi also specify an annual service, as well as a mileage-based
service.

The only thing that I'd *really* disagree with them (in the UK) is their
inattention to brake fluid.

*Three* years is not, IMHO, an adequate interval.

H1K

Old August 18th 04, 08:10 PM
C.R. Krieger

Peter Bell > wrote in message >. ..

> I suspect that the oil/service companies are taking the American public
> for suckers!

BINGO!
--
C.R. Krieger