Engine running hot? - Need advice

Old July 20th 05, 01:29 PM
Houdsie

Default Engine running hot? - Need advice

The engine in my '73 Super seems to be running hot. When I pull into
the garage I can smell the engine. Also, I can hold the dipstick for 2
or 3 seconds before it starts to burn. I drive it to work a few days a
week which requires 20 miles of highway (I do 65mph tops)and always
figured it was the highway speeds causing the smell. But last night I
took a little drive of 7 miles or so and never broke 45mph with similar
results. One question is how hot is too hot?

I know for a fact my engine is running lean. I have the engine run on
exhaust backfire. However, the PICT 30 carb adjusting screws seem to
be clogged. When I adjusted the screw for the backfire, there was no
change in the engine. It's been a long time since I've dealt with
carbs. Can I remove the screws from the carb while it is in the car
(being careful not to drop one) and shoot carb cleaner in?

All the cooling tin is in place and I recently cleaned the underside of
the engine. Timing was set by the POs mechanic shortly before I bought
it (700 miles) and I adjusted the valves 500 miles ago. Any advice
will be greatly appreciated. It's been a hot summer and I don't to
leave the Bug at home due to the temperature. Thanks.

Houdsie

Old July 20th 05, 02:37 PM
Remco

Houdsie wrote:
> The engine in my '73 Super seems to be running hot. When I pull into
> the garage I can smell the engine. Also, I can hold the dipstick for 2
> or 3 seconds before it starts to burn. I drive it to work a few days a
> week which requires 20 miles of highway (I do 65mph tops)and always
> figured it was the highway speeds causing the smell. But last night I
> took a little drive of 7 miles or so and never broke 45mph with similar
> results. One question is how hot is too hot?
>
> I know for a fact my engine is running lean. I have the engine run on
> exhaust backfire. However, the PICT 30 carb adjusting screws seem to
> be clogged. When I adjusted the screw for the backfire, there was no
> change in the engine. It's been a long time since I've dealt with
> carbs. Can I remove the screws from the carb while it is in the car
> (being careful not to drop one) and shoot carb cleaner in?
>
> All the cooling tin is in place and I recently cleaned the underside of
> the engine. Timing was set by the POs mechanic shortly before I bought
> it (700 miles) and I adjusted the valves 500 miles ago. Any advice
> will be greatly appreciated. It's been a hot summer and I don't to
> leave the Bug at home due to the temperature. Thanks.
>
> Houdsie

This is probably way out there in left field, but is the thermostat ok?
It controls flaps in the schroud on mine. From what I've heard and
read, some people have taken them out and opened the flaps to aid
cooling - not sure if that's a good idea or not.
Remco

Old July 20th 05, 02:40 PM
Speedy Jim

Houdsie wrote:
> The engine in my '73 Super seems to be running hot. When I pull into
> the garage I can smell the engine. Also, I can hold the dipstick for 2
> or 3 seconds before it starts to burn. I drive it to work a few days a
> week which requires 20 miles of highway (I do 65mph tops)and always
> figured it was the highway speeds causing the smell. But last night I
> took a little drive of 7 miles or so and never broke 45mph with similar
> results. One question is how hot is too hot?
>
> I know for a fact my engine is running lean. I have the engine run on
> exhaust backfire. However, the PICT 30 carb adjusting screws seem to
> be clogged. When I adjusted the screw for the backfire, there was no
> change in the engine. It's been a long time since I've dealt with
> carbs. Can I remove the screws from the carb while it is in the car
> (being careful not to drop one) and shoot carb cleaner in?
>
> All the cooling tin is in place and I recently cleaned the underside of
> the engine. Timing was set by the POs mechanic shortly before I bought
> it (700 miles) and I adjusted the valves 500 miles ago. Any advice
> will be greatly appreciated. It's been a hot summer and I don't to
> leave the Bug at home due to the temperature. Thanks.
>
> Houdsie

"To measure is to know..." Anon

Measure the oil temps. Either get a dash gauge or find a meat/candy
thermometer that will fit in the dipstick hole.

Road speed is the biggest determinant of engine temp.
At 65 MPH on a hot summer day, oil temp can go to 95 to 105C
as a rough estimate.

Find out what temps you are actually running before doing anything.

I would not remove the carb screws.

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old July 20th 05, 05:24 PM
Joao Eliseu

"Houdsie" > wrote:
>The engine in my '73 Super seems to be running hot. When I pull into
>the garage I can smell the engine. Also, I can hold the dipstick for 2
>or 3 seconds before it starts to burn. I drive it to work a few days a
>week which requires 20 miles of highway (I do 65mph tops)and always
>figured it was the highway speeds causing the smell. But last night I
>took a little drive of 7 miles or so and never broke 45mph with similar
>results. One question is how hot is too hot?
>
>I know for a fact my engine is running lean. I have the engine run on
>exhaust backfire. However, the PICT 30 carb adjusting screws seem to
>be clogged. When I adjusted the screw for the backfire, there was no
>change in the engine. It's been a long time since I've dealt with
>carbs. Can I remove the screws from the carb while it is in the car
>(being careful not to drop one) and shoot carb cleaner in?
>
>All the cooling tin is in place and I recently cleaned the underside of
>the engine. Timing was set by the POs mechanic shortly before I bought
>it (700 miles) and I adjusted the valves 500 miles ago. Any advice
>will be greatly appreciated. It's been a hot summer and I don't to
>leave the Bug at home due to the temperature. Thanks.
>
>Houdsie

Probably the backfire comes from a hole on the heat exchanger near the position
on it connects to the muffler. Look there and you will find it.
The mixture is made by the jets not by the screws. The screws are to set the idle
mixture only.
The temperature on my engine is similar to yours and I also don't know if it is
to hot.

Joao
Old July 20th 05, 07:47 PM
Ben Boyle

That's an awesome idea, I think I'll get a thermometer as you describe. I don't believe I am overheating but that is a
fairly easy way to know.

Old July 20th 05, 08:18 PM
Ted

Speedy Jim wrote:
> Measure the oil temps. Either get a dash gauge or find a meat/candy
> thermometer that will fit in the dipstick hole.

This one works very well:

http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/produ...C8&src=21TL002

Ted

Old July 20th 05, 08:18 PM
Ted

Old July 20th 05, 08:29 PM
Houdsie

Thanks for all the replies. I've got a list of homework for the
weekend.

Joao, I'll check the heat exchange. I never thought of that.

Houdsie

Old July 20th 05, 08:40 PM
Speedy Jim

Ted wrote:
> Speedy Jim wrote:
>
>>Measure the oil temps. Either get a dash gauge or find a meat/candy
>>thermometer that will fit in the dipstick hole.

> This one works very well:
>
> http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/produ...C8&src=21TL002
>
> Ted

HoHo! Excellent product! Bookmarked.

Jim
Old July 20th 05, 10:15 PM
Dennis Wik

Today I made a run with my Bus and it ran cooler than normal. Outside
temp 96; oil temp after 30 miles 205 degrees. Forgot to close the
engine door after checking oil level before I left. I had no idea
leaving the door open would lower the temp 10 degrees or more in this
heat.

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>