Why were so many British cars positive earth?

Old June 22nd 05, 04:07 PM
Hugo Schmeisser

Default Why were so many British cars positive earth?

I did some Googling and came up with nothing. Hard to believe no one
else has apparently ever asked this question. Or maybe I'm looking in
the wrong place.

Anybody know? (Besides "because they were British", that is...)
Old June 22nd 05, 04:43 PM
M. MacDonald

So were a lot of old 6 volt American cars prior to about 1955.

Mack

Old June 22nd 05, 04:56 PM
ray

Hugo Schmeisser wrote:
> I did some Googling and came up with nothing. Hard to believe no one
> else has apparently ever asked this question. Or maybe I'm looking in
> the wrong place.
>
> Anybody know? (Besides "because they were British", that is...)

probably the same reason that Honda engines spin backwards.
Because that's the way they did it?

I'd like to know why the hot wire in car wiring is red and the ground
wire is black, but at home it's the black wire that's hot.
Old June 22nd 05, 06:27 PM
John Kunkel

"Hugo Schmeisser" > wrote in message
>I did some Googling and came up with nothing. Hard to believe no one
> else has apparently ever asked this question. Or maybe I'm looking in
> the wrong place.
>
> Anybody know? (Besides "because they were British", that is...)

It actually makes more sense (to me) to have a positive ground since DC
current flows from negative to positive.

Old June 22nd 05, 07:36 PM
John S.

John Kunkel wrote:
> "Hugo Schmeisser" > wrote in message
> >I did some Googling and came up with nothing. Hard to believe no one
> > else has apparently ever asked this question. Or maybe I'm looking in
> > the wrong place.
> >
> > Anybody know? (Besides "because they were British", that is...)

> It actually makes more sense (to me) to have a positive ground since DC
> current flows from negative to positive.

Well, it's a story with a long history. The Brits were on a roll when
they declared Greenwich Mean Time as the time standard, so they also
declared that cars (when developed) would always have a positive
ground. Unfortunately the British Empire fell onto hard times and
their advice was ultimately ignored and we now have Universal
Coordinated Time and negative grounded cars.

Old June 22nd 05, 11:17 PM

"John Kunkel" > wrote in message

> > Anybody know? (Besides "because they were British", that is...)

> It actually makes more sense (to me) to have a positive ground since DC
> current flows from negative to positive.

No, actually it does not, John. DC flows from positive to negative, by
convention.
Electrons from from negative to positive, but electron flow is not defined
as current.

Old June 23rd 05, 01:04 AM
AZ Nomad

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:27:18 -0700, John Kunkel > wrote:

>"Hugo Schmeisser" > wrote in message
>>I did some Googling and came up with nothing. Hard to believe no one
>> else has apparently ever asked this question. Or maybe I'm looking in
>> the wrong place.
>>
>> Anybody know? (Besides "because they were British", that is...)

>It actually makes more sense (to me) to have a positive ground since DC
>current flows from negative to positive.

DC flows in a circle. It makes absolutely no difference which side you use
as your reference.
Old June 23rd 05, 01:05 AM
AZ Nomad

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:25:01 -0400, Ototin > wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:56:23 -0500, ray > wrote:

>>Hugo Schmeisser wrote:
>>> I did some Googling and came up with nothing. Hard to believe no one
>>> else has apparently ever asked this question. Or maybe I'm looking in
>>> the wrong place.
>>>
>>> Anybody know? (Besides "because they were British", that is...)

>>probably the same reason that Honda engines spin backwards.
>>Because that's the way they did it?
>>
>>I'd like to know why the hot wire in car wiring is red and the ground
>>wire is black, but at home it's the black wire that's hot.

>In house wiring the red wire is also "hot".

Black is hot, IIRC.
White is neutral.

Red is only used for three plus ground as in wiring for a 3-way (three terminal
actually) switch.