1996 Jetta ( Question about new Struts)

Old June 23rd 05, 01:40 AM
wkearney99

> nope they just said that it would be better for me to goto sears cause he
> don't stock the unit and it would cost me more. I dunno.. maybe i'll call
> another dealer in the seattle area.. one i was talking bout was university
> vw in seattle.

Well, that's actually more honest that one might expect. Rather than make
you wait and inevitably have it cost you MORE in the process they're giving
it to you straight. I mean, what's worse for them, having a customer whine
to others about how long it took to get it fixed and how expensive it was
(checking after the fact with sears or pep boys) or suggesting another
solution. Sounds uncharacteristically smart for a dealer...

Old June 26th 05, 07:04 PM
Peter Parker

In article >,
Lee > wrote:
>Les Schwab wants $543.81 with Tax for all 4 installed with the 4 way
>alinement.
>They said they would be using Gabriel Gas Struts (gs2), i've call else where
>and they were plus or minus $50 of that. So I guess this is the soluton.
>As far as Woodchucks comment, VW told me to go else where. they said goto
>Sears so much for your no brainer.

Sounds too French for me. I wouldn't go to a place that says you need a
4 way alignment. I think your model only needs a front-end alignment. The rears
would need to be shimmed if they were way out.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old June 26th 05, 07:14 PM
Peter Parker

In article >,
Woodchuck > wrote:
>Find another dealer to service your car. We get VW parts from VW in 2 days
>max. Not to mention it's a easy job for us old fart technicians.

Woodchuck, here is a question for you. Does your dealership allow you to bring
in customer parts or is this just a political thing? If the parts are not
VW, they suck? It is so easy to sign a waiver so the dealer does not have
to warranty the job if the job was proven well done and correct. There
we go again on how the dealer makes overhead profit on the VW parts to
compensate the labor rate. I still think this is bogus. There was a VW
Porsche dealer in NJ that had the same labor rate for both. The Porsche
rate. The other nicer family owned ex racer VW Porsche dealer had a $30 or
so difference and they are in PA. I guess you have to live in NJ to afford
that VW labor rate.

. ..

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old June 27th 05, 11:53 AM
Woodchuck

Our dealer has no problems installing customer supplied parts 99% of the
time unless the part looks wierd. We call them generic parts which is no
different from buying Ford, Chevy, etc parts from the local auto parts
store.

"Peter Parker" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Woodchuck > wrote:
>>Find another dealer to service your car. We get VW parts from VW in 2 days
>>max. Not to mention it's a easy job for us old fart technicians.

> Woodchuck, here is a question for you. Does your dealership allow you to
> bring
> in customer parts or is this just a political thing? If the parts are not
> VW, they suck? It is so easy to sign a waiver so the dealer does not have
> to warranty the job if the job was proven well done and correct. There
> we go again on how the dealer makes overhead profit on the VW parts to
> compensate the labor rate. I still think this is bogus. There was a VW
> Porsche dealer in NJ that had the same labor rate for both. The Porsche
> rate. The other nicer family owned ex racer VW Porsche dealer had a $30 or
> so difference and they are in PA. I guess you have to live in NJ to afford
> that VW labor rate.

.. .