Tire Rotation?

Old June 22nd 05, 05:31 PM
Seahag

Thanks, the dealer has been rotating my 4 tires every other
oil change. I'll have to see if the spare is in good enough
shape to include next time. I once bought a whole set of
dry-rotted tires so I know _that_ drill:^(

Seahag

Old June 22nd 05, 11:44 PM
Tomes

If your 4 have any significant wear on them, the 5th will now be of a
different circumference and then not appropriate to include in the mix. You
would need to wait until the next set is bought.
Tomes

Old June 23rd 05, 01:11 AM
Seahag

I was thinking about that after reading all the posts. I'll
have to check, may just be too late!

Seahag

link.net...

Old June 23rd 05, 04:35 AM
mabar

Yes, it probably is too late now to start rotating the spare into the mix. I
assume it's a Goodyear GSA factory original tire. Your other 4 tires have
15,000 miles which could be approaching 40 to 50% of the useful tread life..
I would guess that Goodyear GSA's have a useful life of about 40,000 miles.
That means your un-used spare is a slightly larger diameter than the other 4
tires. It also has more tread, with better traction, which will adversely
effect the vehicle handling, and could actually be dangerous.

Probably best to stick with your 4-way rotation for now.

Tom

Old June 29th 05, 04:55 PM
Seahag

Guess the spare is a spare then!