Another Premature 156 Cambelt Failure

Old July 12th 04, 06:18 PM
Pete

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:39:07 GMT, s7uar7 >, wrote:

>I really wish I'd found this group earlier, but too late now...
>
>I have a 156 2.0 TS, four years old almost to the day, and with only 57k
>miles on the clock. I had the 36k mile service done at a main dealer at
>45k (I bought the car 2nd hand), including the cam belt check, and nine
>months and 12,000 miles later the cambelt has failed. Just spoke to the
>garage and it's going to need a reconditioned cylinder head - anyone
>know how much this is likely to cost? I've got a case open with Alfa UK,
>so hopefully they'll stump up a good part of the cost.
>
>Reading some posts on here, this seems to be so common that I'm amazed
>the cam belt change hasn't officially been changed to 36k - it must be
>costing them a fortune.
>
>Now I've got that off my chest, I'll go back to crying into my beer!
>
>Stuart, UK

Big box of tissues 4U mate. Hopefully Alfa GB will come through for you.
With the check having been done at 36K they certainly should do.

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)

Old July 12th 04, 06:39 PM
Arjan Renting

On 12-7-2004 19:39, s7uar7 wrote:
> I really wish I'd found this group earlier, but too late now...
>
> I have a 156 2.0 TS, four years old almost to the day, and with only 57k
> miles on the clock. I had the 36k mile service done at a main dealer at
> 45k (I bought the car 2nd hand), including the cam belt check, and nine
> months and 12,000 miles later the cambelt has failed. Just spoke to the
> garage and it's going to need a reconditioned cylinder head - anyone
> know how much this is likely to cost? I've got a case open with Alfa UK,
> so hopefully they'll stump up a good part of the cost.
>
> Reading some posts on here, this seems to be so common that I'm amazed
> the cam belt change hasn't officially been changed to 36k - it must be
> costing them a fortune.
>
> Now I've got that off my chest, I'll go back to crying into my beer!

IIRC I paid about EUR 1400,- for a new cambelt.... and 8 new valves!!
That was about 2 years ago for a 2.0 TS 155 (16v). Depending on the work
it good be more or less.

Arjan
Old July 12th 04, 11:32 PM
Antti

"s7uar7" > wrote in message
> I really wish I'd found this group earlier, but too late now...
>
> Reading some posts on here, this seems to be so common that I'm amazed
> the cam belt change hasn't officially been changed to 36k - it must be
> costing them a fortune.

depends where you live here in Finland official interval is 60 000km ~ 37500
miles or 3 years
also in V6

Antti

Old July 13th 04, 12:47 AM
s7uar7

Antti wrote:

> depends where you live here in Finland official interval is 60 000km ~ 37500
> miles or 3 years
> also in V6
>
> Antti

If that's what's recommended in the rest of Europe, and Alfa GB don't
pay in full for the repair, then I reckon there should be a pretty good
case taking them to the small claims court
Old July 13th 04, 12:46 PM
Joe Ortiz

"Antti" > wrote in message >...
> "s7uar7" > wrote in message
> > I really wish I'd found this group earlier, but too late now...
> >
> > Reading some posts on here, this seems to be so common that I'm amazed
> > the cam belt change hasn't officially been changed to 36k - it must be
> > costing them a fortune.
> >

> depends where you live here in Finland official interval is 60 000km ~ 37500
> miles or 3 years
> also in V6
>
> Antti

Hi. Is that for a change or just a check? I've never been very
convinced by this "check" business. What do they do, look at it? Or do
they perform some serious checks of some kind? Can anybody tell us?
Best regards.

Joe
Old July 13th 04, 07:15 PM
s7uar7

> Simple really. In the UK ONLY the recommendation from Alfa GB to dealers is
> to "check" at 36K. Please remember that you can't remove, inspect and
> replace a belt. <LOL>.
> In the rest of Europe the advise from Alfa to dealers is to replace at 36K.
>
> The cost of a full replacement of belt and sundry other parts for a 2,0 is
> apx £650 inc labour.
> There is a lot of labour involved.
>
> In the case of the OP, it is to be hoped that Alfa GB will provide the
> labour cost. :-)
> HTH
>
> Pete

I really hope so, I've just had the quote from the garage (Alfa main
dealer) - £2160. If I wasn't already sitting down I think I would have
fainted. I find out tomorrow whether Alfa will contribute.
Old July 13th 04, 09:52 PM
Pete

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:15:52 GMT, s7uar7 >, wrote:

>I really hope so, I've just had the quote from the garage (Alfa main
>dealer) - £2160. If I wasn't already sitting down I think I would have
>fainted. I find out tomorrow whether Alfa will contribute.

Yep! 'fraid so. If you had to find the whole of the cost then that would
sound about the price. Last time I spoke with them a re-furb engine to
replace one that had yanked it's belt, out of warranty, the engine was
quoted [ IIRC ] £1800 and that was ex parts and labour :-(

Pete

Old July 14th 04, 07:44 PM
Steve Knight

> Alfa are paying 75% of parts & labour, so I'll only be
> paying the cost of a normal service and cambelt change.
> I'm happy with that (and very relieved).

Very fair, good on Alfa for doing the right thing.

--
Remove Xs to reply direct