Anyone stupid enough to buy that anitfreeze/water mixture?

Old February 3rd 05, 12:22 AM
OG Loc

TV's Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, OG Loc wrote:
>
>> There should be a law passed that holds politicians accountable for
>> their actions once they are elected.

> There should be a law passed that requires the deletion of five old laws
> for every one new law. There are a lot of laws that need passing and a lot
> more that need deletion. Will it ever happen? 'Course not.

Not until we break the chains of Republicrat and Dempublican slavery.

>> If they run on Issue A and once elected do not pursue Issue A they
>> should be fined/removed from office.

> And that would leave...exactly who in office?

A truthful President. There are truthful individuals in our nation, but
unfortunately they don't tend to run for office.

>> We also should abandon the winner-take-all system.

> Of course we should, but that will also never happen.
>
>> Instead of having an extreme-right and a far-left (for the US) candidate
>> running for president, there should be a moderate that most Dems and
>> Repubs alike can agree on.

> There is. His name is Paul Martin, and he's the Canadian Premier.

I've been talking to my family about moving to Canada. It looks like it
might actually happen in a few years. O Canada!

--

"Shake says that books are from the devil, and that TV is twice as fast" -
Meatwad

Old February 3rd 05, 12:23 AM
OG Loc

TV's Ignasi Palou-Rivera wrote:
> "Daniel J. Stern" > writes:
>> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, OG Loc wrote:
>>> Instead of having an extreme-right and a far-left (for the US) candidate
>>> running for president, there should be a moderate that most Dems and
>>> Repubs alike can agree on.

> I bet a bunch of non-NA people are chuckling at the thought of John
> Kerry being branded as "far-letf"...

That is why I put the "for the US" disclaimer.

On the worldwide political spectrum, I would put Kerry somewhere towards the
middle, leaning to the right.

Old February 3rd 05, 12:25 AM
Nate Nagel

OG Loc wrote:

> TV's Ignasi Palou-Rivera wrote:

>>I bet a bunch of non-NA people are chuckling at the thought of John
>>Kerry being branded as "far-letf"...

> That is why I put the "for the US" disclaimer.
>
> On the worldwide political spectrum, I would put Kerry somewhere towards the
> middle, leaning to the right.

I think Kerry is somewhat left-leaning, more so than I'd really like,
but that's still better than Bush who leans a bit towards "what the hell
is this guy doing?"

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old February 3rd 05, 01:12 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, OG Loc wrote:

> There are truthful individuals in our nation, but unfortunately they
> don't tend to run for office.

Can you blame 'em? It's a temp job, the pay is ****ty compared to the
private sector, there's no privacy or security, the press is on hand to
make sure even Gandhi or Jesus or Solomon would be perceived as doing a
bad job, and the ethics, morals and skills needed to *get* the job are 180
degrees out of phase with those needed do *do* the job.

> I've been talking to my family about moving to Canada. It looks like it
> might actually happen in a few years.

Few things bug me more these days than hearing Americans say "Y'know, I
think I'll pick up and move to Canada", as though it were as simple as
moving from Philadelphia to Denver. Y'know all that crapola you hear on
both sides of the border about it being "porous"? It's not true. Assuming
you qualify for immigration, it takes about one US Presidential term to
become a Canadian citizen *IF* everything goes quickly for you. I'm
working on year 2 of waiting for Canadian Permanent Residence (like a US
Green Card). It is NOT a fast, easy, inexpensive or surefire deal.

DS
Old February 3rd 05, 01:45 AM
OG Loc

TV's Daniel J. Stern wrote:
>> I've been talking to my family about moving to Canada. It looks like it
>> might actually happen in a few years.

> Few things bug me more these days than hearing Americans say "Y'know, I
> think I'll pick up and move to Canada", as though it were as simple as
> moving from Philadelphia to Denver. Y'know all that crapola you hear on
> both sides of the border about it being "porous"? It's not true. Assuming
> you qualify for immigration, it takes about one US Presidential term to
> become a Canadian citizen *IF* everything goes quickly for you. I'm
> working on year 2 of waiting for Canadian Permanent Residence (like a US
> Green Card). It is NOT a fast, easy, inexpensive or surefire deal.

This is a long-range plan, not something that is going to happen in the next
two or three years. Unless the draft comes, then I'm outta here sooner.

Old February 3rd 05, 02:08 AM
Bernard farquart

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...

> Few things bug me more these days than hearing Americans say "Y'know, I
> think I'll pick up and move to Canada", as though it were as simple as
> moving from Philadelphia to Denver. Y'know all that crapola you hear on
> both sides of the border about it being "porous"? It's not true. Assuming
> you qualify for immigration, it takes about one US Presidential term to
> become a Canadian citizen *IF* everything goes quickly for you. I'm
> working on year 2 of waiting for Canadian Permanent Residence (like a US
> Green Card). It is NOT a fast, easy, inexpensive or surefire deal.

Are you waiting in Canada? Or are you waiting in the U.S.?

Bernard

Old February 3rd 05, 02:41 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Bernard farquart wrote:

> > Few things bug me more these days than hearing Americans say "Y'know,
> > I think I'll pick up and move to Canada", as though it were as simple
> > as moving from Philadelphia to Denver. Y'know all that crapola you
> > hear on both sides of the border about it being "porous"? It's not
> > true. Assuming you qualify for immigration, it takes about one US
> > Presidential term to become a Canadian citizen *IF* everything goes
> > quickly for you. I'm working on year 2 of waiting for Canadian
> > Permanent Residence (like a US Green Card). It is NOT a fast, easy,
> > inexpensive or surefire deal.

> Are you waiting in Canada? Or are you waiting in the U.S.?

I'm fortunate: I've been granted a visitor permit. However, this is the
most grudging permission the government gives to remain in Canada.
Crossing the border (e.g. to visit family or friends) is fraught with
danger of not getting back in, so I am staying put 'til the government
either says "You can stay" or "You have to leave".

I'd be grumbling harder if I were stuck in America. My other half is
Canadian, and how long a minute is depends on which side of the bathroom
door you're on.
Old February 3rd 05, 02:42 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, OG Loc wrote:

> > Few things bug me more these days than hearing Americans say "Y'know,
> > I think I'll pick up and move to Canada", as though it were as simple
> > as moving from Philadelphia to Denver. Y'know all that crapola you
> > hear on both sides of the border about it being "porous"? It's not
> > true. Assuming you qualify for immigration, it takes about one US
> > Presidential term to become a Canadian citizen *IF* everything goes
> > quickly for you. I'm working on year 2 of waiting for Canadian
> > Permanent Residence (like a US Green Card). It is NOT a fast, easy,
> > inexpensive or surefire deal.

> This is a long-range plan, not something that is going to happen in the
> next two or three years. Unless the draft comes, then I'm outta here
> sooner.

I wish you the best of luck. Did you take the online prequalification
assessment? Only takes about 3 minutes.
Old February 3rd 05, 03:12 AM
Bernard farquart

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> I'm fortunate: I've been granted a visitor permit. However, this is the
> most grudging permission the government gives to remain in Canada.
> Crossing the border (e.g. to visit family or friends) is fraught with
> danger of not getting back in, so I am staying put 'til the government
> either says "You can stay" or "You have to leave".

Odd, the way it is presented, the Canadian system is full of terrorists
waiting in Canada getting welfare trying to get residency. That guy
who drove the car full of explosives (Resam?) into Port Angeles in
late '99 was apparently getting welfare in Canada. Even though he
had been refused sanctuary, he had not been deported, and still
was cashing his govt. checks. (or is it cheques?)

> I'd be grumbling harder if I were stuck in America. My other half is
> Canadian, and how long a minute is depends on which side of the bathroom
> door you're on.

Well, being stuck in the bathroom can be frightening, do
the knobs turn the other way or something up there?

Seriously, on the west coast, at least, Canada is nice
to visit, but not really Urban enough for me.

Bernard

Old February 3rd 05, 03:32 AM
OG Loc

TV's Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, OG Loc wrote:
>
>>> Few things bug me more these days than hearing Americans say "Y'know,
>>> I think I'll pick up and move to Canada", as though it were as simple
>>> as moving from Philadelphia to Denver. Y'know all that crapola you
>>> hear on both sides of the border about it being "porous"? It's not
>>> true. Assuming you qualify for immigration, it takes about one US
>>> Presidential term to become a Canadian citizen *IF* everything goes
>>> quickly for you. I'm working on year 2 of waiting for Canadian
>>> Permanent Residence (like a US Green Card). It is NOT a fast, easy,
>>> inexpensive or surefire deal.

>> This is a long-range plan, not something that is going to happen in the
>> next two or three years. Unless the draft comes, then I'm outta here
>> sooner.

> I wish you the best of luck. Did you take the online prequalification
> assessment? Only takes about 3 minutes.

I'm not even that far along. It's just an embryonic idea right now.