relay failure ?

Old February 2nd 05, 04:09 PM
Jim Lacko

Default relay failure ?

85 Golf

Sometimes when I put the key into the ignition switch and start the starter,
the horn(s) sound for only about a second. Is this a VW-ism? Maybe the
horn relay is in failure mode. I think all VW relays are built with a
solid-state (transistor and/or IC) interface and that might be the problem.

Thanks,

Jim

Old February 2nd 05, 05:54 PM
Randolph

Jim Lacko wrote:

> 85 Golf
>
> Sometimes when I put the key into the ignition switch and start the starter,
> the horn(s) sound for only about a second. Is this a VW-ism? Maybe the
> horn relay is in failure mode. I think all VW relays are built with a
> solid-state (transistor and/or IC) interface and that might be the problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

On my '87 GTi I have had issues with the horn sounding when it
shouldn't. The connection between the steering wheel and the steering
column is a wiper / slip ring. On mine, the wiper part had gotten sloppy
and touched other metal parts every so often, thus sounding the horn. If
you take off the steering wheel, you will see what I mean. I don't
remember if I replaced the wiper part or if I just bent it back into
shape, but my problem is solved.
Old February 2nd 05, 09:26 PM
N8N

Jim Lacko wrote:
> 85 Golf
>
> Sometimes when I put the key into the ignition switch and start the

starter,
> the horn(s) sound for only about a second. Is this a VW-ism? Maybe

the
> horn relay is in failure mode. I think all VW relays are built with

> solid-state (transistor and/or IC) interface and that might be the

problem.

> Thanks,
>
> Jim

This sounds stupid, but I'd be willing to bet money that you don't have
a problem at all. I got in the habit of carrying my VW keys by
themselves, because if you have other keys and/or a metal hangy thingy
on the same keyring, sooner or later something will slip in between the
wheel and the column and activate the horn circuit. Embarassing!

nate

Old February 3rd 05, 12:42 AM
Bill Leary

"N8N" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> This sounds stupid, but I'd be willing to bet money that you don't have
> a problem at all. I got in the habit of carrying my VW keys by
> themselves, because if you have other keys and/or a metal hangy thingy
> on the same keyring, sooner or later something will slip in between the
> wheel and the column and activate the horn circuit. Embarassing!

Can be worse than embarassing, I've had the "other thing" (an oddly shaped key
to a lock box) get hug up on the ring contacts that operate the horn and ripped
one of them out pulling it free. Well, not quite out. Just mangled it enough
that the horn wouldn't shut up at all. I had to pull the wire under the hood
for immediate relief, then pull the wheel when I got home and fix the mess I'd
caused. '84 Scirocco in this case, but same principal.

- Bill

Old February 3rd 05, 01:10 AM
Simplstupd

My 89 Jetta's horn comes on too when the house key gets in there by accident.
Probably your only problem like Nate posted
Old February 3rd 05, 03:07 AM
Woodchuck

Loose keys or the 3 screws are loose under the steering wheel which hold the
switches down.

news:1107359738.5b21a5912118a839601fe2270e66e5ca@1 usenet...

Old February 3rd 05, 01:37 PM
Jim Lacko

Yea, I've read previous threads about keys touching the ignition switch ring
and grounding -- so I changed the key ring. But I have changed the turn
signal switch and I think I'd better look at the three screws Woodchuck
pointed out! I'm not the kind of person who cranks down when torquing
hardware -- I'll bet that's that problem.

Thanks All!

Jim