Lower shifter boot

Old January 31st 05, 02:29 AM
bokuglen

Default Lower shifter boot

When instaling the lower shifter boot (the small one) I couldn't decide
how far to slide it down on the shifter. I slipped it over the top
part and then it popped onto the part where the shifter goes from being
fat to being skinny. There is a little groove there that the top of
the boot slid into, so I left it there. But when bolting it down, this
meant that the shifter base had to be stretched a bit to fit down on
the transmission top - like 1/2 inch.

This puts stress on the rubber and seems that it would be bad over
time. But I was afraid to slide the boot top down more for fear that
it would leak.

Anyone have experience with exactly where the top of the shifter boot
should end up on the shifter?

Old January 31st 05, 06:04 AM
Chris D'Agnolo

been a long time but I don't think the rubber is stressed when properly
installed, could you possibly have it upside down or backwards? I just don't
remember if that is even possible but maybe someone else will.

Chris
92BB&T

oups.com...

Old February 2nd 05, 10:46 PM
Frank Berger

"bokuglen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> When instaling the lower shifter boot (the small one) I couldn't decide
> how far to slide it down on the shifter. I slipped it over the top
> part and then it popped onto the part where the shifter goes from being
> fat to being skinny. There is a little groove there that the top of
> the boot slid into, so I left it there. But when bolting it down, this
> meant that the shifter base had to be stretched a bit to fit down on
> the transmission top - like 1/2 inch.
>
> This puts stress on the rubber and seems that it would be bad over
> time. But I was afraid to slide the boot top down more for fear that
> it would leak.
>
> Anyone have experience with exactly where the top of the shifter boot
> should end up on the shifter?

Does this help?

http://www.camsmx5.com/techshift.html