'93 Accord High Pressure PS Hose

Old February 2nd 05, 11:22 PM
Carl Gerhold

Default '93 Accord High Pressure PS Hose

My service shop has identified a leak close to the pulley and is
recommending replacing the hose. I personally can't see exactly where it's
coming from but the hood has a trail of fluid where the pulley is. Since I
already spent $$$ for the t-belt job yesterday, I'm wondering if this would
be a tough job for a DIY? '93 Accord SE, 224K miles. TIA.

CG

Old February 2nd 05, 11:39 PM
Remco

This would be coolant that is leaking?

If so, doing it yourself shouldn't be too hard. There are really only
two going to the engine from the radiator. Since you see coolant near
the pulley it is probably top hose but inspect both.
Follow both hoses from the radiator to the engine and wipe them clean.
Then start the engine and see where it is coming from. Perhaps do this
after the engine has not run for a while (like overnight) so that the
coolant will not heat up too much.

To replace the hose, you will have to drain the coolant from the
radiator. If the top hose is bad, you'll only need to drain a little -
just enough so that the coolant is no longer present in the top hose.
If the bottom hose is bad, you may need to drain the complete system.
You'll find a drain cock on the bottom of the radiator. Catch the
coolant in a container, being careful not to burn yourself as this can
be very hot. (if the engine has just been running that is).

After is has drained, loosen the clamps, replace the hose and refill
the coolant you let drain out.

Also, be careful spilling the coolant - Clean it up. Besides it looking
messy in your driveway, dogs and cats seem to like to drink it. Most
coolant is poison, so you don't want that to happen.

Old February 2nd 05, 11:42 PM
Remco

oops -- I noticed PS in your title just now. I take it that means
"power steering", not coolant.
Shouldn't be too hard, but I'd get a service manual to your car to get
specifics.

Sorry for possible confusion caused by my previous post.

Old February 3rd 05, 12:59 AM
Carl Gerhold

Hi all,

I Googled for info. and found this thread on what may be similar to what is
going on. I haven't seen the reservoir overflow. If the front shaft seal
is bad, what can I do to verify that this is the problem?

CG

The shaft seal on my 91 Accord LX MT P/S pump has failed. It slowly
leaks p/s fluid and the pulley flings it in a stripe underneath the
hood. It also inhales air sometimes, causing the fluid to foam and the
reservoir to overflow. It's been this way for quite some time, and even
though it doesn't seem to be getting worse, it makes a mess and I have
to keep my eye on the fluid level. I'd like to fix it, and to keep cost
down I'd like to do it myself.

I can't afford a new pump from the dealer. But, does anyone know if they
sell a rebuild kit? If not, who does? Helm manual talks all about the
rebuild, liberally specifying "Replace", and "Do not reuse old <washer,
gasket, o-ring etc." Presumably the parts are available somewhere.

Also, a year ago I spotted a junked similar vintage accord. Scrap yard
wanted $20 for the pump, so I got it figuring it might be cost effective
to have a place rebuild my spare pump. For folks who get into that kind
of work, can you give me an idea of how much to expect to pay for a
rebuild (in New England area)

Thanks,
Arthur

pcLoser Jun 22 2001, 9:20 pm show options
Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.honda
From: "pcLoser" > - Find messages by this author
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 21:20:33 -0700
Subject: P/S pump seal woes
Report Abuse

Hello Arthur.
The most common seal on 90-93 Accords pumps is the front shaft seal,which
can be replaced by itself.
If its leaking behind the pulley, that's your problem.
If its leaking anywhere else, the you will need to rebuild the pump, Honda
doesn't make a kit, but they are all available separate.
You can do it yourself, but I do recommend a good manual to help you
along.(Helm's factory manual)
Rich

Old February 3rd 05, 01:24 AM
motsco_ _

Carl Gerhold wrote:
> My service shop has identified a leak close to the pulley and is
> recommending replacing the hose. I personally can't see exactly where it's
> coming from but the hood has a trail of fluid where the pulley is. Since I
> already spent $$$ for the t-belt job yesterday, I'm wondering if this would
> be a tough job for a DIY? '93 Accord SE, 224K miles. TIA.
>
> CG

----------------------------

Search the previous few weeks. There was a post where a guy said it's
pretty normal for the high-milers to leak a little, but if you can get a
used one for $20 GO FOR IT ! Slap it in. Be happy. Wash under the hood
first, draw pictures if you're not sure what you're doing (or buying)
Use honda fluid.

'Curly'

Old February 3rd 05, 01:50 PM
Carl Gerhold

Hey Curly,

I found this thread and posted on it RAMH so you may not have seen it yet.
I'm thinking it's the shaft seal since I can't see an active leak from the
hose itself. Any ideas on how I can verify this? Thanks for the responses.

Carl

Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.honda

From: "pcLoser" > - Find messages by this author

Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 21:20:33 -0700