99-04 Mustang Hood Scoop

Old February 2nd 05, 12:58 AM
RhB629

Default 99-04 Mustang Hood Scoop

When did Ford change the non-functional hood scoops on the Mustang GT's
to functional ones (besides the Mach 1).

Old February 2nd 05, 01:45 AM
WraithCobra

Never, the only functional scoops were on the Mach's. The '99 Mustang's did
not have a scoop at all, the '00 Spring Feature GT was the only Mustang to
have a fake scoop that year, and the '01 - '04 GT's all had the fake scoop.
--
Mike
Silver 10th Anniversary Cobra Coupe

Old February 2nd 05, 05:06 AM
Dan S

"WraithCobra" > wrote in message
> Never, the only functional scoops were on the Mach's. The '99 Mustang's
> did
> not have a scoop at all,

That's odd. I just went into the garage and looked at my GF's 99 Mustang.
It has a hood scoop. I'm not really interested enough to pop the hood to
see if it's functional or now. Totally stock, by the way.

Old February 2nd 05, 06:07 AM
Erik D.

I thought the bullitt had a functional scoop as well. The '99 35th
anniversary edition had a scoop for sure, but it wasn't functional.
Only the 35th anniversary special edition had the scoop, the regular 99s
don't.
Erik D.
'94 white lightning
'01 white GT

Old February 2nd 05, 01:19 PM
Dan S

"Erik D." > wrote in message
>I thought the bullitt had a functional scoop as well. The '99 35th
>anniversary edition had a scoop for sure, but it wasn't functional. Only
>the 35th anniversary special edition had the scoop, the regular 99s don't.

It is a 35th Anniversary edition. Nice catch!

Old February 2nd 05, 09:25 PM
BK24

Old February 2nd 05, 10:55 PM
WraithCobra

I forgot about the '99 35th GT's and the Bullit's, but those were also non
functional.

Old February 2nd 05, 11:07 PM
WraithCobra

The '99 Cobras had the nostrils that were open to the under hood area, not
functional to the intake. My '98 GT also had the holes in the hood that were
open to the under hood area, and the Terminator Cobras have the open vents
in the hood. The Mach's shaker scoop is only functional to a point anyway.
It is routed to the filter area, but the snorkel from the filter area to the
fender is also open which would negate any (if any) ram air effect.

Old February 3rd 05, 04:01 AM
Rein

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:07:20 -0500, "WraithCobra" >
wrote:

>The '99 Cobras had the nostrils that were open to the under hood area, not
>functional to the intake. My '98 GT also had the holes in the hood that were
>open to the under hood area, and the Terminator Cobras have the open vents
>in the hood. The Mach's shaker scoop is only functional to a point anyway.
>It is routed to the filter area, but the snorkel from the filter area to the
>fender is also open which would negate any (if any) ram air effect.

Some useless engineering at work I guess. I think ram air doesn't even
really make a difference until you're well over 100mph.
I think they tested it on motorcycles. Even there it's probably more
of use due to high revving engines.

Old February 3rd 05, 04:56 AM
Tony Alonso

The scoop was shown to improve 1/4 mile times and speeds from testing by
Ford engineers. The effect does not come into play until after 80mph or
so. They tested by running with the scoop blocked and unblocked and
measuring 1/4 mile runs. Source for this information - Scott Hoag,
program manager for the Mach 1...