Need Help with 4000 fuel injection system

Old June 28th 04, 06:31 PM
Cappy

Default Need Help with 4000 fuel injection system

I'm hoping someone here can help me with this maddening problem. I'm having
trouble with the vacuum system on my 1985 Audi 4000S (1.8liter 4cyl fuel
injection). The problem is with the air flow sensor plate which seems to work
OK after a thorough cleaning, but quickly develops a dirty carbon-like film and
starts sticking after only a few minutes of run time. I've cleaned the entire
system, including replacing the air filter, fuel filters, put on a new intake
air duct, and re-centered the plate. The car runs OK when I manually move the
plate, but as soon as I put it all back together, it soon starts missing, and
quickly gets all gunked up again. It's starting to dirve me nuts. Can anyone
help me out there? Could it be a sabatoge of the fuel (although I can't imagine
how it would be connected)? The reason I ask is beacuse the car was running
fine, and one day I parked it for an hour & when I came out to the parking lot I
noticed a paper wadded up in the exhaust pipe. I removed the papaer, and guess
what? the car wouldn't start! Maybe I should plug up the exhaust again, huh?
(LOL). Any thoughts would be appreciated.
TIA
Cappy

Old June 28th 04, 08:48 PM
dave

>From: Cappy
>I'm hoping someone here can help me with this maddening problem. I'm having
>trouble with the vacuum system on my 1985 Audi 4000S (1.8liter 4cyl fuel
>injection). The problem is with the air flow sensor plate which seems to
>work
>OK after a thorough cleaning, but quickly develops a dirty carbon-like film
>and
>starts sticking after only a few minutes of run time. I've cleaned the
>entire
>system, including replacing the air filter, fuel filters, put on a new intake
>air duct, and re-centered the plate. The car runs OK when I manually move
>the
>plate, but as soon as I put it all back together, it soon starts missing, and
>quickly gets all gunked up again. It's starting to dirve me nuts. Can
>anyone
>help me out there? Could it be a sabatoge of the fuel (although I can't
>imagine
>how it would be connected)? The reason I ask is beacuse the car was running
>fine, and one day I parked it for an hour & when I came out to the parking
>lot I
>noticed a paper wadded up in the exhaust pipe. I removed the papaer, and
>guess
>what? the car wouldn't start! Maybe I should plug up the exhaust again, huh?
>(LOL). Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>TIA
>Cappy

Where is the hose for the crankcase breather going to? This is probably where
the fumes are coming from that might be causing the sticking gummy stuff.
What does the motor oil smell and feel like? I am thinking thin with a gas
smell.

Still have the locking gas cap so no one can add crap to the gas?

Change your oil and see what happens.

later,
dave
Reminder........
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way,
when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their
shoes. Frieda Norris

Old July 1st 04, 04:39 PM
C.R. Krieger

Cappy > wrote in message >...
> I'm hoping someone here can help me with this maddening problem. I'm having
> trouble with the vacuum system on my 1985 Audi 4000S (1.8liter 4cyl fuel
> injection). The problem is with the air flow sensor plate which seems to work
> OK after a thorough cleaning, but quickly develops a dirty carbon-like film
> The reason I ask is beacuse the car was running
> fine, and one day I parked it for an hour & when I came out to the parking
> lot I noticed a paper wadded up in the exhaust pipe.

Are you sure it was paper? Could your catalytic converter have taken
a dump? What happens is that the paper-like thin metal substrate
falls apart and gets blown 'downstream' throughout the exhaust system.
It can also effectively *block* the system, which might cause this
kind of symptom. Unless your cat has been replaced, this is worth a
look.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Car entertainment system. Antonio MichaelDe Palma Alfa Romeo 6 December 27th 04 10:54 AM
156 Alarm System Martyn Alfa Romeo 0 October 18th 04 01:53 AM
Looking for fuel pump for my 11/1997 156 2.5 V6 Berny Alfa Romeo 0 September 13th 04 11:52 AM
Fuel Injector problem torretta Alfa Romeo 1 June 1st 04 09:17 PM
Power loss at 4000 rpm GTV 2.0L steve Alfa Romeo 1 May 9th 04 07:36 AM