Eurovan Upgrade to V6?

Old December 8th 04, 10:56 AM

Default Eurovan Upgrade to V6?

Anyone tried to upgrade their older Eurovan to a newer V6? Is it
possible even to replace the 5 cylinder engine/transmission with a VR6
powerplant and transmission?

Old December 8th 04, 12:15 PM
Woodchuck

anything can be done with enough $$$$$. That said you would be better off
selling yours and buying one with the VR6.

oups.com...

Old December 8th 04, 12:15 PM
Woodchuck

anything can be done with enough $$$$$. That said you would be better off
selling yours and buying one with the VR6.

oups.com...

Old December 9th 04, 07:49 AM
Matt B.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Anyone tried to upgrade their older Eurovan to a newer V6? Is it possible
> even to replace the 5 cylinder engine/transmission with a VR6 powerplant
> and transmission?

Since VW decided that the VR6 version should have the different (slightly
longer) nose, I wouldn't bother.

If you wanted to convert a Eurovan to something other than the 5-cylinder
gasser, I'd try a TDI transplant. VR6 or TDI...either way it'd be pricey
but at least with a TDI and a 5-speed you can expect great mileage. With a
VR6 and the auto that they were fitted with, yo can only expect 16-21mpg
(city/highway).

Old December 9th 04, 07:49 AM
Matt B.

oups.com...

Old December 10th 04, 02:01 AM
Matt B.

"Steve Grauman" > wrote in message
> >If you wanted to convert a Eurovan to something other than the 5-cylinder
>>gasser, I'd try a TDI transplant.

> Would Audi's 2.5 litre TDI V6 fit into the Eurovan? That's probably
> powerful
> enough to make a decent motor for the hefty Eurovan. The 90-100 Horsepower
> 1.9
> litre TDI probably isn't going to cut it.
> Steve Grauman

Not likely. The Audi 2.5 TDI is a traditional 90-degree V6 right and
usually mounted longtitudinally? The EV has a very short nose and an inline
engine or the VR6 are the only likely candidates (and the VR6 probably only
in the longer nose EV, which still is probably too short for an Audi V6).

VW fitted the T4 van with 2.5L inline-5 TDI engines overseas. I believe
there were three versions, the most powerful of which required the longer
nose EV for the larger intercooler. But the mid and base 2.5 TDIs were in
the short-nose T4.

Old December 10th 04, 02:01 AM
Matt B.

Old January 7th 05, 03:21 AM
LaM

Hear, hear!

How about replacing the automatic tranny with a manual too? Anybody got
an idea on that effort and cost?

oups.com...

Old January 7th 05, 03:43 AM
Matt B.

"LaM" > wrote in message
> Hear, hear!
>
> How about replacing the automatic tranny with a manual too? Anybody got
> an idea on that effort and cost?

Someone on the vortex recently bought a '03 EV on ebay that was the 24V VR6
and manual transmission, which was never offered anywhere that I know of.
All of us EV folks were mystified at how this manual-trans 24V VR6 EV came
to be and he was able to trace it back to the first owner who had it
converted using all OEM VW parts. The conversion was about 99% perfect with
the only known issue being they forgot to add in the cruise control cancel
switch on the clutch pedal. Otherwise it looked all stock. I think he
somehow was able to contact the original tech that did the work and it was
something like $7K (that number comes to mind). Wasn't cheap at all.

Dinan upgrade [email protected] BMW 8 January 20th 05 05:58 PM
1994 Voyager 3 liter pressure regulator - dealer for tran sw upgrade Treeline Chrysler 2 November 19th 04 02:04 AM
Passat upgrade Tado VW water cooled 2 October 29th 04 01:31 AM
Help required. CD upgrade on 166? Steve A Alfa Romeo 2 July 7th 04 10:36 AM