Rain Sensor

Old September 21st 06, 01:31 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jenn

Default Rain Sensor

I am not sure if I have a rain sensor or not. In fact, I wasn't aware
of them at all until a couple of rocks hit my windshield and I called
about a quote. I called the glass repair people and they told me I
would know if I had it because it would come on automatically when it
started to rain. I then checked my manual and there was an asterix next
to this feature. So, I called the dealership and they said I probably
didn't have it. I mentioned that the wiper speed automatically slows
when I am at stop lights and it isn't raining very hard. Then, the
dealership said maybe I do have it. Anyways, I sure need to get my
windshield repaired and I don't want the wrong thing installed so I
just don't know what to do. I tried pouring water on the glass but I
don't think I had the wipers in the 1 position. Does anyone know more
about this? I drive a 2003 325i. I would really appreciate any help I
can get.

Old September 21st 06, 01:42 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
SharkmanBMW![_2_]

even without rain sensor, the wipers slow at stop lights.
I have it and love it BTW.

If you give your serial # to the dealer, they shoud be able to give you the
answer.

oups.com...

Old September 21st 06, 02:00 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Mike G

"Jenn" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am not sure if I have a rain sensor or not. In fact, I wasn't aware
> of them at all until a couple of rocks hit my windshield and I called
> about a quote. I called the glass repair people and they told me I
> would know if I had it because it would come on automatically when it
> started to rain. I then checked my manual and there was an asterix next
> to this feature.

The asterisk simply means it's an option that might be fitted.

So, I called the dealership and they said I probably
> didn't have it. I mentioned that the wiper speed automatically slows
> when I am at stop lights and it isn't raining very hard.

The wiper is speed controlled. My E34, without a rain sensor, awitches to
intermittant when the car stops if the wipers are switched on.

Then, the
> dealership said maybe I do have it. Anyways, I sure need to get my
> windshield repaired and I don't want the wrong thing installed so I
> just don't know what to do. I tried pouring water on the glass but I
> don't think I had the wipers in the 1 position. Does anyone know more
> about this? I drive a 2003 325i. I would really appreciate any help I
> can get.

The rain sensor is quite obvious on my E39. The sensor area is immediately
behind the mirror, with the a box, about 3" x 2" x 1" attached to the w/s on
the inside.
Doesn't sound like your car is fitted with one.
Mike.

Old September 21st 06, 11:05 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

Jenn wrote:
> I am not sure if I have a rain sensor or not. In fact, I wasn't aware
> of them at all until a couple of rocks hit my windshield and I called
> about a quote. I called the glass repair people and they told me I
> would know if I had it because it would come on automatically when it
> started to rain. I then checked my manual and there was an asterix next
> to this feature. So, I called the dealership and they said I probably
> didn't have it. I mentioned that the wiper speed automatically slows
> when I am at stop lights and it isn't raining very hard. Then, the
> dealership said maybe I do have it. Anyways, I sure need to get my
> windshield repaired and I don't want the wrong thing installed so I
> just don't know what to do. I tried pouring water on the glass but I
> don't think I had the wipers in the 1 position. Does anyone know more
> about this? I drive a 2003 325i. I would really appreciate any help I
> can get.

When it's not raining, put the wiper stalk in the first position. If
the wipers wipe intermittently then you don't have the rain sensor.
On some cars it's a separate box under the mirror & on others it's
built into the mirror assembly.

Personally I dislike the intermittent-at-stop wipers 'cos in heavy rain
it means you can't see!

Old September 21st 06, 01:22 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Sam Smith

"Jenn" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I called the glass repair people and they told me I
> would know if I had it because it would come on automatically when it
> started to rain.

If you have your wipers set to the first position and they change speed
whilst it's raining you have them. Also I think you will have a small wheel
on your stalk that lets you control the sensitivity (it's on the Z4).

>I then checked my manual and there was an asterix next
> to this feature.

All optional features have an asterix. It says so in the manual.

>So, I called the dealership and they said I probably
> didn't have it. I mentioned that the wiper speed automatically slows
> when I am at stop lights and it isn't raining very hard.

This happens anyway - even on old E36s - it isn't the rain sensor but a
system for reducing the wiper speed when the car stops.

I am amazed at how little your dealer knows. AFAK the glass itself has
nothing to do with the rain sensor so it will not make any difference if you
have it or not.

---
Sam

Old September 21st 06, 02:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

Sam Smith wrote:
> I am amazed at how little your dealer knows.

Get used to it.

>AFAK the glass itself has
> nothing to do with the rain sensor so it will not make any difference if you
> have it or not.

Many of the screens have the rain sensing gubbins molded into the
screen itself. Therefore no sensor in the glass pretty much means no
rain sensitive wipers.

I am amazed at how little..... ;-)

Old September 21st 06, 09:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Speedbox

I drive a 2004 330d with rain sensor and just changed the screen. You
would know you got it if starts automatically when raining and if you
have a small black box behind the inside mirror, which AFAK is for tha
automatic headlights, but this two features came together (at least in
Spain). If you have to replace the screen, pay attention the sensors
are in the glass, as adder1969 said, so it is a special one. If not
covered by insurance (hopefully is not the case) prepare to pay over
600 €.

Old September 21st 06, 10:29 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

Speedbox wrote:
> I drive a 2004 330d with rain sensor and just changed the screen. You
> would know you got it if starts automatically when raining and if you
> have a small black box behind the inside mirror, which AFAK is for tha
> automatic headlights, but this two features came together (at least in
> Spain). If you have to replace the screen, pay attention the sensors
> are in the glass, as adder1969 said, so it is a special one. If not
> covered by insurance (hopefully is not the case) prepare to pay over
> 600 €.

Neither of my rain sensing cars have auto lights.
I just shopped around for a screen for my 740 and I managed to get a
heated one, with rain sensor for under 200 euros. Most of the extra
you pay for is in the distribution ie. the middlemen.

Old September 22nd 06, 12:31 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
JRE

Sam Smith wrote:
<snip>
> I am amazed at how little your dealer knows. AFAK the glass itself has
> nothing to do with the rain sensor so it will not make any difference if you
> have it or not.
>
> ---
> Sam

Not so. There is an area of the glass free of tint for the rain sensor,
which works by sensing reflected infrared light from the surface of the
glass. You need the correct windshield to work with the rain sensor.

The sensor, built into the rear view mirror on E46's, includes a
rectangular bit (housing the LEDs and sensors) that is flush against the
inside of the glass.

JRE
Old September 22nd 06, 01:35 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dan Krueger

Jenn wrote:

> I am not sure if I have a rain sensor or not. In fact, I wasn't aware
> of them at all until a couple of rocks hit my windshield and I called
> about a quote. I called the glass repair people and they told me I
> would know if I had it because it would come on automatically when it
> started to rain. I then checked my manual and there was an asterix next
> to this feature. So, I called the dealership and they said I probably
> didn't have it. I mentioned that the wiper speed automatically slows
> when I am at stop lights and it isn't raining very hard. Then, the
> dealership said maybe I do have it. Anyways, I sure need to get my
> windshield repaired and I don't want the wrong thing installed so I
> just don't know what to do. I tried pouring water on the glass but I
> don't think I had the wipers in the 1 position. Does anyone know more
> about this? I drive a 2003 325i. I would really appreciate any help I
> can get.

Look for a 2" X 2" "box" above the rear view mirror that is in direct
contact with the windshield. From the outside it will have a bluish
tint to it. If you have that, you probably do have rain sensing wipers.

Dan

Rain Sensor Broken 750il Eddie BMW 1 February 6th 06 07:07 PM
L98: starts, but won't keep running. Dave Gee Corvette 15 October 22nd 05 08:43 PM
Other Sensor Problem? - WAS: Rain Sensor Help needed please. RichieP BMW 0 January 7th 05 01:02 AM
Rain Sensor Help needed please. Andy BMW 14 January 6th 05 04:42 PM
Climatronic Diagnostic Controls Luís Lourenço Audi 1 November 12th 04 08:22 AM