airbags and hats

Old January 7th 05, 07:51 PM
Olaf Gustafson

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 06:49:58 GMT, "Bernard Farquart"
> wrote:

>More importantly,how many people have you see driving while
>wearing pith helmets, in your entire life?
>
>Do you live in 1920's colonial africa?

I don't know why, but I found that remark hilarious
Old January 7th 05, 07:52 PM
Olaf Gustafson

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:02:25 -0500, "Magnulus" >
wrote:

>"Bernard Farquart" > wrote in message
>> More importantly,how many people have you see driving while
>> wearing pith helmets, in your entire life?
>>
>> Do you live in 1920's colonial africa?

> How many people have I seen wearing hats, aside from baseball caps (often
>turned backwards)? Very few (I've seen alot more African Americans wearing
>hats, though, than whites- and in some parts of the country they do wear
>western style hats). Hats are out of fashion with many people (they mess
>up your hair, or whatever), some people still wear them, though, like me.

Can you post a picture of yourself driving with a pith helmet?

Have you considered that it might be safer to wear a motorcycle
helmet?

Old January 7th 05, 07:52 PM
Olaf Gustafson

Old January 8th 05, 03:38 AM
Magnulus

"Olaf Gustafson" > wrote in message
> Can you post a picture of yourself driving with a pith helmet?
>
> Have you considered that it might be safer to wear a motorcycle
> helmet?

I don't own any pith helmets. I do have some hats that are semi-rigid
brimmed.

In the US in many states it is not legal to drive a car with a
motorcycle helmet on, or a bike helmet. That's true in many other
countries, as well. The idea is a helmet represents racing intent. It
really makes zero sense, since most street "racers" here in the States don't
wear helmets anyways, and if you have an old car with no airbag, a helmet
would be more effective than an airbag.

Old January 8th 05, 03:38 AM
Magnulus

Old January 8th 05, 04:22 AM
James C. Reeves

"Magnulus" > wrote in message
. ..
> Has anybody got any idea how an airbag deployment would affect a person
> wearing a rigid or semi-rigid hat (such as a cowboy hat or pith helmet,
> that
> sort of hat?).

Interesting question. The Maryland State Trooper uniforms include a
wide-brim hat. Often you see them wearing them while driving.

Old January 8th 05, 04:22 AM
James C. Reeves

. ..

Old January 10th 05, 06:17 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
James C. Reeves > wrote:

>"Magnulus" > wrote in message
>> Has anybody got any idea how an airbag deployment would affect a person
>> wearing a rigid or semi-rigid hat (such as a cowboy hat or pith helmet,
>> that
>> sort of hat?).
>>

>Interesting question. The Maryland State Trooper uniforms include a
>wide-brim hat. Often you see them wearing them while driving.

The airbag isn't going to hit the hat, not of your average state
trooper anyway. My bet is that the hat would simply be knocked off
during the collision, airbag or no airbag.

If you're short enough that the airbag would hit your hat, you should
disable it anyway.