2000-2002 SL2 Stereo install

Old July 21st 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected][_1_]

Default 2000-2002 SL2 Stereo install

I searched and I searched and found no useful tips on how to do this,
so I just decided to do it and hope for the best. Here is what I did
(and the stereo works and no loose bits hanging out).

What you will need:
1. a well lit area or a friend with a bright flashlight
2. Mini socket set (or full size with the mini adapter). Specific
sockets needed: 6.5mm, 7.5mm (I think - somewhere between 6 and 7.5mm -
two different sizes).
3. new single DIN radio with fit kit of your choice and adapter

How to:
PULL FUSES first. These are located behind a door that is on the
passenger side of the console - see user manual for location if you
can't find it. Pull any and all fuses for radio and clock. Wait til
clock turns off to begin taking off the dash.

Open Driver's door. In the side of the dash that you can see two
circular holes about an inch across each. In each of these holes is a
7.5mm socket style screw. Remove. Pop off the section that these two
screws hold on (there is a visible split in the dash immediately to the
left of the gas gauge).

Remove all the screws that are under the steering column. There are
two that are sunken in tubelike things that hold the top cover of the
column on. One is on the righthand side and the other is only
reachable when you fold the height lever down. Release the pressure
clips on the top piece by pulling vertically up. All screws on this
housing are smaller, 6.5mm headed screws.

All that remains is to pull at the dash until all the pressure
fasteners release.

Unscrew the existing radio, unplug it, and plug in your new radio.
replace dash. replace fuses. done.

/2002 Saturn SL2 Automatic and now with Sony CDXGT100 stereo

Old July 22nd 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

wrote:
> I searched and I searched and found no useful tips on how to do this,
> so I just decided to do it and hope for the best. Here is what I did
> (and the stereo works and no loose bits hanging out).
>
> What you will need:
> 1. a well lit area or a friend with a bright flashlight
> 2. Mini socket set (or full size with the mini adapter). Specific
> sockets needed: 6.5mm, 7.5mm (I think - somewhere between 6 and 7.5mm -
> two different sizes).
> 3. new single DIN radio with fit kit of your choice and adapter
>
> How to:
> PULL FUSES first. These are located behind a door that is on the
> passenger side of the console - see user manual for location if you
> can't find it. Pull any and all fuses for radio and clock. Wait til
> clock turns off to begin taking off the dash.
>
> Open Driver's door. In the side of the dash that you can see two
> circular holes about an inch across each. In each of these holes is a
> 7.5mm socket style screw. Remove. Pop off the section that these two
> screws hold on (there is a visible split in the dash immediately to the
> left of the gas gauge).
>
> Remove all the screws that are under the steering column. There are
> two that are sunken in tubelike things that hold the top cover of the
> column on. One is on the righthand side and the other is only
> reachable when you fold the height lever down. Release the pressure
> clips on the top piece by pulling vertically up. All screws on this
> housing are smaller, 6.5mm headed screws.
>
> All that remains is to pull at the dash until all the pressure
> fasteners release.
>
> Unscrew the existing radio, unplug it, and plug in your new radio.
> replace dash. replace fuses. done.
>
> /2002 Saturn SL2 Automatic and now with Sony CDXGT100 stereo

Thanx johnpeter,

I reciently got an ipod and was wondering about changing my stereo so I
could plug it in directly for best sound, but owing to the rash of B&Es
downstairs, I'll have to leave that for some time in a better future.

Laz

Old July 22nd 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Gary[_1_]

Something I found out about by accident.
If you go to the Crutchfield site and register your car "What fits my car"
and buy an air filter, you get the full stereo replacement instructions for
free...or at least I did.
BTW they did not have K&N filters in any auto parts store in my area....

oups.com...

Old July 24th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

Modification:
After taking a road trip with the stereo mentioned above, I decided it
needed to be mounted with a little more oomph than the fit kit
provided. Using the original brackets worked after I folded the lock
bracket back and forth(weird bit on the right bracket that connected to
some hole in the back for no apparent reason) and broke it off. Using
the fit kit and bolting it in front of the brackets, it is firmly
attached and no longer shakes.
addition to tools needed: gerber multitool or other pliers.

hope this helps someone.

Old December 27th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Jocko

One correction for you. Most of the bolts are 7mm, except the ones for the
ones for the steering column, which are 5.5mm. At least that's what my 2001
SL2 has.

oups.com...

258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
Alfa 156 SW stereo Mike Johnson Alfa Romeo 4 August 31st 05 06:58 PM
Forza Car List Rob Berryhill Simulators 19 May 7th 05 11:37 PM
2000 Jetta Stereo Removal [email protected] VW water cooled 1 April 29th 05 02:31 AM
Where the heak is the flasher module on my 2002 TJ? Brett Little Jeep 4 March 16th 05 03:42 AM