ALfa 147 navteq - no gps signal !!!!!!! help!!!!!!!!

Old August 27th 04, 12:34 PM
pledge

Default ALfa 147 navteq - no gps signal !!!!!!! help!!!!!!!!

my car currently thinks it is in the north sea - navteq have confirmed that
it is all registered properly.

is anyone aware of any problems re gps signals and how to regain them - i
currently get no signal nor any satelites !

any common places to check ?

any help would be greatly appreciated

sean

Old August 27th 04, 01:30 PM
Simon C

"pledge" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> my car currently thinks it is in the north sea - navteq have confirmed

that
> it is all registered properly.
>
> is anyone aware of any problems re gps signals and how to regain them - i
> currently get no signal nor any satelites !
>
> any common places to check ?
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated
>
> sean

Hi Sean

I'm not sure if this will help, but I use TomTom navigator with an iPaq and
recently was told to update the GPS firmware.

Not sure why, but it may be something to do with satelitte positions,
upgrades or something.

It may be worth contacting your dealer

Simon C
156 2.4JTD V1 (2002)
To reply: remove nospam. from the address

Old August 27th 04, 01:47 PM
Catman

Simon C wrote:

> "pledge" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
>> my car currently thinks it is in the north sea - navteq have confirmed

> that
>> it is all registered properly.
>>
>> is anyone aware of any problems re gps signals and how to regain them - i
>> currently get no signal nor any satelites !
>>
>> any common places to check ?
>>
>> any help would be greatly appreciated
>>
>> sean

> Hi Sean
>
> I'm not sure if this will help, but I use TomTom navigator with an iPaq

Much rocking, have one myself

> and recently was told to update the GPS firmware.

I wasn't

> Not sure why, but it may be something to do with satelitte positions,
> upgrades or something.

Doubt it. Mine's fine

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS (two off)
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old August 27th 04, 03:54 PM
Simon C

> > Not sure why, but it may be something to do with satelitte positions,
> > upgrades or something.

> Doubt it. Mine's fine

I have the iPaq 1940 and use an NMEA 0183v2 compatible bluetooth gps device.
Perhaps the upgrade (now running GPS v.3.02) was to do with that
combination?!?!?

Much rocking indeed. I use CheckPOInt to warn me of potential hazards ahead
such as cameras, little chefs, mickey d's, etc (and believe, the latter are
hazards!)

Simon C

Old August 27th 04, 04:10 PM
Tom Boltwood

> From: "pledge" >
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 07:34:04 -0400
> Subject: ALfa 147 navteq - no gps signal !!!!!!! help!!!!!!!!
>
> my car currently thinks it is in the north sea - navteq have confirmed that
> it is all registered properly.
>
> is anyone aware of any problems re gps signals and how to regain them - i
> currently get no signal nor any satelites !
>
> any common places to check ?
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated
>
> sean

I did GPS as part of my coastal skipper's certificate. I can't remember the
details, but IIRC you have to have a signal from at least 3 satellites from
a possible 5, if it can't see at least 3 (which does happen from time to
time, for whatever reason) then it will show nothing. Satellites do break
from time to time and, of course, if the US decides it doesn't want a part
of the world to have GPS coverage then you ain't getting it.

Old August 27th 04, 06:18 PM
Catman

Simon C wrote:

>> > Not sure why, but it may be something to do with satelitte positions,
>> > upgrades or something.

>> Doubt it. Mine's fine
>>

> I have the iPaq 1940 and use an NMEA 0183v2 compatible bluetooth gps
> device. Perhaps the upgrade (now running GPS v.3.02) was to do with that
> combination?!?!?

Maybe. mine is H220 with the tomtom unit

> Much rocking indeed. I use CheckPOInt to warn me of potential hazards
> ahead such as cameras, little chefs, mickey d's, etc (and believe, the
> latter are hazards!)

Got that right
Old August 27th 04, 06:20 PM
Catman

Tom Boltwood wrote:

>> From: "pledge" >
>> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
>> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 07:34:04 -0400
>> Subject: ALfa 147 navteq - no gps signal !!!!!!! help!!!!!!!!
>>
>> my car currently thinks it is in the north sea - navteq have confirmed
>> that it is all registered properly.
>>
>> is anyone aware of any problems re gps signals and how to regain them - i
>> currently get no signal nor any satelites !
>>
>> any common places to check ?
>>
>> any help would be greatly appreciated
>>
>> sean
>>

> I did GPS as part of my coastal skipper's certificate. I can't remember
> the details, but IIRC you have to have a signal from at least 3 satellites
> from a possible 5,

5 gives you altitude as well

>if it can't see at least 3 (which does happen from time
> to time, for whatever reason) then it will show nothing. Satellites do
> break from time to time and, of course, if the US decides it doesn't want
> a part of the world to have GPS coverage then you ain't getting it.

Yebbut givent that he's in the UK, as am I the odds of him not being able
to see any, and me seeing (quick check) 8 are, to be blunt, slim.

Something's wrong either with his hardware or the setup thereof.
Old August 28th 04, 10:01 AM
pledge

Thankyou all for your replies.

the alfa dealership have finally replied and are now saying that :

1) i need to get the software rebooting
2) as my car is an 02 plate, it will cost 1 hours labour (100 inc vat )!-
as i have had car only since march and only used the sat nav a few dozen
times - any thoughts;
a) could any non alfa dealers do it ?
b) how strong is my bartering arm ? as i am not used to this at all

once again, any help would really be appreciated

sean

Old August 28th 04, 10:45 AM
Alfistagj

get a quote from another dealership!
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"pledge" > schreef in bericht
lkaboutautos.com...

Old August 28th 04, 02:46 PM
Catman

pledge wrote:

> Thankyou all for your replies.
>
> the alfa dealership have finally replied and are now saying that :
>
> 1) i need to get the software rebooting
> 2) as my car is an 02 plate, it will cost 1 hours labour (100 inc vat )!-
> as i have had car only since march and only used the sat nav a few dozen
> times - any thoughts;
> a) could any non alfa dealers do it ?
> b) how strong is my bartering arm ? as i am not used to this at all
>
> once again, any help would really be appreciated
>
> sean

In the UK, I'd claim not fit for purpose under the sale of goods act and
demand that they sort it FOC