Wipers flopping around

Old February 25th 05, 12:15 AM
Cletus

Default Wipers flopping around

My wipers on my 68 bug have way too much travel. right side especially
goes off the car, then rests on the cowl. I know its loose in the
linkage, but i'm looking for ideas for where to look, wiper
shafts?,,somewhere on those arms under there, can they be rebushed?
anybody , ideas?

thanks

Old February 25th 05, 01:01 AM
Red Bug

In article .com>,
"Cletus" > wrote:

> My wipers on my 68 bug have way too much travel. right side especially
> goes off the car, then rests on the cowl. I know its loose in the
> linkage, but i'm looking for ideas for where to look, wiper
> shafts?,,somewhere on those arms under there, can they be rebushed?
> anybody , ideas?

First of all, observe it carefully while the wipers are in motion... Are
the arms slipping on the shafts where they attach? If so, you could get
the position just right, and file the shaft slightly into a "D" shape
and re-tighten with the lockscrew on the flattened spot... You wouldn't
have to replace the shafts for awhile... It's a fussy job to pull
everything out and disassemble and change the shafts and it's nice to
avoid if possible!

--
___
|___| '61 - VW
Old February 25th 05, 02:53 AM
Joey Tribiani

"Cletus" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My wipers on my 68 bug have way too much travel. right side especially
> goes off the car, then rests on the cowl. I know its loose in the
> linkage, but i'm looking for ideas for where to look, wiper
> shafts?,,somewhere on those arms under there, can they be rebushed?
> anybody , ideas?
>
> thanks

first pull the wiper arm out from the windshield and check that your
setscrews are tight.....i had this same problem on my 68 and it was because
the screw kept coming loose....mine are however worn out pretty good, so i
recently ordered up some new pivots and gromets from Aircooled.net to
replace mine...

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewpro... 200590694762