Trickle charge ?

Old January 7th 05, 03:52 PM
RideRT

Default Trickle charge ?

What is the best way to connect a trickle charger - like a Battery Tender -
to the Miata ?

I know the cigarette lighter is disconnected when the ignition is off, that
would have been ideal...

Looking for a professional and permanent connector I can use when my car is
hibernating.

Thanks.

Old January 8th 05, 01:28 AM
AlanRab

I have been using the Battery Tender on my Miata for its second winter and
it's been great. Always starts. I have the pigtail quick-connect that came
with the Tender permanently bolted to the battery termials. I gently slam
(an oxymoron?) the trunk over the cable and run it to the carger on my
garage floor. Doesn't hurt the charger's cable at all. Just don't forget to
quick-disconnet before driving away!

Alan
MiniMi the '03 SE

Old January 8th 05, 03:24 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"AlanRab" > wrote:

>I have been using the Battery Tender on my Miata for its second winter and
>it's been great. Always starts. I have the pigtail quick-connect that came
>with the Tender permanently bolted to the battery termials. I gently slam
>(an oxymoron?) the trunk over the cable and run it to the carger on my
>garage floor. Doesn't hurt the charger's cable at all. Just don't forget to
>quick-disconnet before driving away!

Right. If it was me, there would be some banana plugs in the
cable.

Leon

>Alan
>MiniMi the '03 SE
>
>"RideRT" > wrote in message
>> What is the best way to connect a trickle charger - like a Battery
>> Tender - to the Miata ?
>>
>> I know the cigarette lighter is disconnected when the ignition is off,
>> that would have been ideal...
>>
>> Looking for a professional and permanent connector I can use when my car
>> is hibernating.
>>
>> Thanks.

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old January 8th 05, 01:32 PM
Tom Howlin

There was a system for sale a while back in the magazine that used a
battery tender type device in a cord reel so you could hang it from your
garage ceiling, out of the way. It used a cigarette lighter connection
and so they must have provided some instructions on how to rewire the
lighter to be always hot. I'm not sure who made it, I almost want to
think it was Clearwater (same people with the speakers) but haven't seen
it in several years but it does tell me there is a way to wire the plug
differently and thus use that connection.

Tom
92 Red

Old January 8th 05, 06:13 PM
Kempi

"Tom Howlin" > wrote in message
> There was a system for sale a while back in the magazine that used a
> battery tender type device in a cord reel so you could hang it from your
> garage ceiling, out of the way. It used a cigarette lighter connection
> and so they must have provided some instructions on how to rewire the
> lighter to be always hot.

In my sister's Jetta ('04 SE) we found in the trunk a nice device.
It's a solar battery charger - plate (12in x 10in) with 4 suction cups to
mount it on a window, from inside,
and wire with lighter plug. VW has lighter socket always on.
It's great idea if one parks it's car outside for a long period of time -
like on airport parking during vacation trips.
I'm not sure if it was a gift from the dealer (Countryside VW in Illinois)
or standard Wolfsburg Edition equipment.

Regards,
Kempi
'01 silver