identifying rear axle 89 yj

Old May 29th 05, 10:05 PM
wraithyjeep

Default identifying rear axle 89 yj

these are the numbers I managed to get off the tag.
5300387 possibly a 1 at the end
07 605295
That is about all I can see
my question is what ratio and is it limited slip.
thanx for the help

Old May 29th 05, 10:34 PM
Mike Romain

Why don't you just count to be sure? Tags mean crap usually on old
vehicles, it could have been changed 10 times.

If you jack up both rear wheels and turn one, the other will spin
opposite if you have an open diff and spin the same way with a limited
slip or locker.

With one wheel in the air only and it in neutral, you put a chalk mark
at the bottom of the wheel and on one ear of the rear u-joint. You then
turn the tire two rotations while counting the driveshaft turns. If you
get 3.88 turns of the driveshaft, you have 3.88 gears.

My CJ7 has 3.31 turns.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 29th 05, 10:56 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The tags I'm familiar with were bolted between the two left axle
cover bolts, and rusted over as see at:
http://www.billhughes.com/chrys8dana35covers.jpg and had the axle ratio
stamped without the decimal. If you have the four cylinder it'll be
4.11. And a separate tag saying use limited slip additive if you have
one. You may email and request a build order via:
http://www.jeep.com/universal/J/inde...r=wccs&prefix=
and find out exatly what you have.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O