Shifter Bushing

Old February 25th 05, 01:31 AM
Joey Tribiani

"bill may" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> working as a vw beetle tech. at vw dealership in 60's and 70's i got to
> see lots of pos stuff. cutting hole in pan to replace a shift bushing
> is one. kinda like peeling the bottom plate off tunnel to replace fuel
> line inside tunnel or cutting roof off to get to wiring going from
> front to rear of beetle..

i like it when you buy a new to you bug and find that one of the previous
owners was apparently allergic to jacking the car up, so they cut the rear
cargo area to replace the starter....

Old February 25th 05, 03:52 AM
bill may

by the way - when working at dealership i saw techs. (not me) install
bushing with shift rod in place.. but i did not say or tell how to do
it. but if curiouse i would be glad to pm answer to this.maybe i should
hide behind a screen name like bill67bug or something instead of my
real name. yes i am the one that has been answering questions on
vintagvw list for 9 years and do lots of samba tech answers and had my
my 1976 vin.vw club of america patch in hot vw's in rich kimballs
column.. some guys in madison wisconsin club may know me as i moved to
san diego,ca usa in 99 from racine,wisconsin i was B&D Beetles parts
there.

Old February 25th 05, 06:34 PM
TerryB

"Randall Brink" > wrote in
:

> I would certainly like to know how to install the bushing with the rod
> in place!

I would suspect that it gets cut in half, so that you can just slip it over
the rod and then push it into place.

--
Terry B
AKA VDUBBS
Old February 25th 05, 11:24 PM
Mike64Bug

Nobody is hiding anything. Maybe you should simply
learn to be polite. If you have ideas and help to
offer then say so. If you had just said that you knew
of a different way to get the job done and described it
that would have been fine. Instead you chose to bash
someone you don't even know without justification.

--
>>>Mike

'64 sunroof Beetle
'55 semaphore Beetle

Old February 26th 05, 01:52 AM
Mike64Bug

>>maybe i should hide behind a screen name like bill67bug or something instead of my
real name.

Just replying to Bill who seems to have some sort of problem. I guess your message got entered in before mine did while
I was typing. Not sure what his problem is. I've never said anything to him before.

--
>>>Mike

'64 sunroof Beetle
'55 semaphore Beetle

Old February 26th 05, 04:54 AM
bill may

i have no problem with you mike,just bad advice gives me bad taste.
cutting hole in tunnel to replace a shift rod bushing is "butchering"
as to the art of bojutsu(using a staff to pop someone upside the head
would be a bad move.) there are vw manuals out there called robert
bentley workshop manuals that show correct way to do it.as the other
guy said-people cut out rear shelf area to remove a starter. i know of
a 1949 vw beetle owned by Randee Pickton (randar wheels) that had rear
apron cut in two places downwards from top so engine could be pulled
out the top as pos thought it was how they come out, but if i came on
samba and said to do that would you offer any contrary advice Mike??? i
have no problem with people getting more than one opinion as long as
the "butchering " is not done.

Old February 26th 05, 03:06 PM
Mike64Bug

Bill, I wasn't suggesting that people butcher their cars. I've never had to
do the repair myself.(yet) When I did a bit of research on it it appeared that
several people cut the tunnel open because it made the repair easier for
THEM, not that it was the best way or the only way. Perhaps I shouldn't have
mentioned it since I've never done it myself. Sorry. We're all just trying
to help each other out. (I hope) Hopefully when I get in to a tight spot with
something difficult those who have many years of experience such as yourself
will offer your help and advice.

Michael Koch
Hagerstown, MD
aka Mike64Bug, WB2KPH, $#+_%#@!, etc., etc.