Need help with NR03

Old February 23rd 05, 09:30 AM
gbeard

Default Need help with NR03

I just move across the country and have not located a box with many of my
cd's. NR03 was one of them. So, I got a no-cd crack, but now every time I
load the game I get an error message that says "installation appears to be
incorrect, try re-installing NR03".
If I click on "ok" and then quickly click on a menu item within the sim I
can run the sim, but if I'm too slow going from the "ok" to the menu item
(literally like 1 second), the sim locks up on me.
I tried versions 1.0.0.0 and 1.2.0.1. Version 1.2.0.1 never worked, it just
cbtd. So, I tried 1.0.0.0 and I could run the sim as explained above. In
copying my original .exe numerous times it is now either renamed, or
corrupt, or just mixed in with the .exe's that don't work. So, I can't even
try re-patching it.
Any ideas on the best way to remedy this problem...and please don't
recommend I get NSR to solve this problem :-)

I also have had a heck of a time getting some tracks to load. I get the
"can not load complete track description" error with many tracks I have
downloaded. Most of them seem to be PWF tracks. Are they compatible with
the original sim? And if so do I need to tweak something to get them to
work? Do they only work with version 1.2.0.1?
Since moving to CA I now have DSL and am downloading mod's left and right.
So, I'd love to get NR03 figured out so I can take advantage of my new high
speed experience.

--
Thanks for any help,
GBeard

Old February 23rd 05, 02:54 PM
Dave Henrie

"gbeard" > wrote in
m:

<snip>

> I also have had a heck of a time getting some tracks to load. I get
> the "can not load complete track description" error with many tracks I
> have downloaded. Most of them seem to be PWF tracks. Are they
> compatible with the original sim? And if so do I need to tweak
> something to get them to work? Do they only work with version
> 1.2.0.1? Since moving to CA I now have DSL and am downloading mod's
> left and right. So, I'd love to get NR03 figured out so I can take
> advantage of my new high speed experience.

you most definately should run the patch and then make sure you have a
no cd file that has been written for the patched version. Blackhole
Motorsports has both no cd's, one for the original and one for the patch.
make sure you get the latter.
dave henrie
Old February 23rd 05, 04:39 PM
Marc Collins

Or spend $10 and just get a new CD...I am not being facetious, but just
pointing out this is probably cheaper/easier in the long run.

Marc

. 97.136...

Old February 23rd 05, 06:23 PM
gbeard

Dave,
That's exactly what I would do, but the only .exe I have that isn't corrupt
or somehow screwed up is the no-cd original version. Would you happen to
know what needs to be changed in the .exe to reverse the no-cd patch?
Could someone send me a pic of what each looks like in a hex editor (just
the part that's different) and I can probably hex edit the .exe and re-patch
it.

By the way Dave, I run F1C all the time thanks to your help with getting all
the mods while I was on dial-up. I really appreciate all you did for me!

--
GBeard

Old February 24th 05, 02:57 AM
The Captain

PWF's tracks only work with the patched version (ie, 1.2.0.1) of NR2K3.

Old February 24th 05, 04:03 AM
Dave Henrie

"gbeard" > wrote in
:

> Dave,
> That's exactly what I would do, but the only .exe I have that isn't
> corrupt or somehow screwed up is the no-cd original version. Would
> you happen to know what needs to be changed in the .exe to reverse the
> no-cd patch? Could someone send me a pic of what each looks like in a
> hex editor (just the part that's different) and I can probably hex
> edit the .exe and re-patch it.
>
> By the way Dave, I run F1C all the time thanks to your help with
> getting all the mods while I was on dial-up. I really appreciate all
> you did for me!

yer welcome, if I recall, the nocd exe is about a third smaller in size
than the original. You should be able to just drop in the nocd.exe from
Blackhole and overwrite the old one.
I haven't messed with a hex editor since the old days when I used to
crawl around Dungeons with a Monk named Kwai Chang Kain who could not be
hit and the meerest flick of his wrist destroyed whole parties of rif-raf.

dave henrie