YJ No Spark

Old February 8th 05, 06:53 PM
Dave Lee

Default YJ No Spark

ok people, it's a 95 YJ, 4 cyl., 5 speed.
No spark. I replaced the distributor, the cap & rotor, wires, plugs, and
coil.
No spark. When I had my wife crank the engine I noticed a spark from the
starter, or thereabouts down there.

Any ideas?

Old February 8th 05, 08:23 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ninety nine percent of the time that'll be the Crankcase Position
Sensor:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cheroke...tdcsensor.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 8th 05, 08:39 PM
Brandy Wood

it also could be the timing chain.

Old February 8th 05, 08:57 PM
Dave Lee

Interesting. Now, I was having trouble before it died, and one morning I
went to the jeep and found the key in the on position, heater fan blowing.
Would juice through the ignition wires overnight hasten its demise??

Old February 8th 05, 09:41 PM
Jerry Bransford

Nope, the CPS doesn't have any current flowing through it unless the
engine is running... and then that current is self-generated.

Jerry

http://www.billhughes.com/

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old February 8th 05, 10:12 PM
Dave Lee

ok, makes sense. Perhaps it just died for good then. I remember my Dakota
losing the crank and cam sensor, twice. I'll check that next. Thanks

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 9th 05, 12:10 AM
DougW

Dave Lee did pass the time by typing:
> ok people, it's a 95 YJ, 4 cyl., 5 speed.
> No spark. I replaced the distributor, the cap & rotor, wires, plugs, and
> coil.
> No spark. When I had my wife crank the engine I noticed a spark from the
> starter, or thereabouts down there.
>
> Any ideas?

Start simple.

Spark from the coil? Hold the coil lead by the block and see if
it draws a spark when you turn the engine.

Double check you put the rotor in there.
And the camshaft position sensor pickup on the distributor is hooked back up.

And the plugs are going to the proper post.

--
DougW

Old February 9th 05, 12:17 AM
Will Honea

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 19:39:12 UTC "Brandy Wood" >
wrote:

With a bad timing chain, it's still gonna spark - just not where it
should. Crank Position Sensor would be #1 suspect, Cam Position
Sensor (inside the distributor) is a possibility as is a bad coil -
but the Crank sensor is more common.

--
Will Honea
Old February 9th 05, 01:36 AM
Dave Lee

No spark at plug, nor coil. Rotor in place, brand new distributor and
connected. Funny, after a while I did open the cap up just to double check
the rotor. You never know. Well, hopefully tomorrow I will attempt the crank
sensor. Any idea why I see a spark at the starter? My wife hits the ignition
and 2 out of 3 times I see a quick little spark down there.

Old February 9th 05, 01:46 AM
DougW

Dave Lee did pass the time by typing:
> No spark at plug, nor coil. Rotor in place, brand new distributor and
> connected. Funny, after a while I did open the cap up just to double check
> the rotor. You never know. Well, hopefully tomorrow I will attempt the crank
> sensor. Any idea why I see a spark at the starter? My wife hits the ignition
> and 2 out of 3 times I see a quick little spark down there.

Your seeing the solinoid close, it's basically a big ass relay and will spark.

Could be the coil. but before going there, double check the harnesses around
where you were working. Sometimes things come loose.

You can take a noid light (12V lamp) or multimeter and measure across the coil
primary (small side) while starting the engine. You should see 12V pulses
If you do then the coil is shot.

--
DougW

Broken Spark Plug - Need help fast Daniel J. Stern Dodge 5 January 31st 05 11:33 PM
No spark on 99 wrangler AKJEEPER Jeep 1 December 13th 04 08:05 PM
Twisted-off Spark plug Threads Removed Gene Gardner General 0 October 5th 04 07:08 PM
Spark Plugs for 93 SL1 SOHC Gary Compton Saturn 3 July 18th 04 12:33 PM
spark plugs condition newsgroup Saturn 2 July 11th 04 09:08 PM