Accord vs. Camry ?

Old June 3rd 05, 12:39 AM
Pars

"Jason" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Elmo P.
> Shagnasty" > wrote:

fall.

> > > In Canada, The 2005 Kia Spectrum was voted economy car of the year.

The
> > > economy class, is the most hotly contest segment for the canucks (who

have
> > > to put up with 15% sales tax and higher gas prices). The fact the

Spectrum
> > > was able to take top honors is a huge success for the under dog

company.

> > > Kia is a off-shoot from Hyundai and share mechanics (like the engine

and
> > > chassis). The 2006 Elentra will probably be an improvement over the

2005
> > > Spectrum...and should be a car to be recon with.
> > >
> > > Hyundai is on Toyota&Honda's heels, not decades behind.

> > Not technologically, necessarily, although they are building simpler
> > cars.
> >
> > But in the consumer mindset, they certainly are.

> Interesting post. If Hyundai wants to compete with Honda and Toyota they
> will have to build vehicles that not only look as great as Honda and
> Toyota vehicles but also are as well built as Honda and Toyota vehicles.
> It's possible to easily get over 200,000 miles on Honda and Toyota
> vehicles if those vehicles are well maintained. When it is possible to
> easily get over 200,000 on Hyundai vehicles--at that point they will be on
> par with Honda and Toyota vehicles.

I believe the newer Hyundai can easily get over 200,000 miles or as well as
any other manufactures out there (exception being Toyota and Honda who have
totally proven themselves in that department).

This also applies to Kia and any other
> car company. Neither Hyundai or Kia has reached that point as of 2005.

I think they have reached 'the point', but I'm not 100% sure...I'll know
better next year. In my driving job, 3 of the other cars are Hyundai
variations from 2000 to 2005 (one bought used and the other two bought new).
Combined, they've already undergone about 160,000km with only oil changes
(the drives of those cars can't afford any of the fancy preventative
maintenance schedule, so their cars only get oil changes or break-work via
backyard mechanics). The only problem to report is a windshield fracture for
a 2004 Aveo (covered under insurance). The girl driving that car isn't happy
with the Aveo poor mileage (since we do about 5000km/month...mileage is a
huge issue) and is working on switching it for a 5 door Echo hatch. From my
calculation, she'd be saving about $60/month in fuel expense by switching to
the Toyota instead of the Kia. Which is weird considering both cars are
almost identical with similar stats and features.

Pars

Old June 3rd 05, 01:07 AM
Jason

In article >, "Pars"
> wrote:

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message

> fall.
> > > >

> > > In Canada, The 2005 Kia Spectrum was voted economy car of the year. The
> > > economy class, is the most hotly contest segment for the canucks (who

> have
> > > to put up with 15% sales tax and higher gas prices). The fact the

> Spectrum
> > > was able to take top honors is a huge success for the under dog company.
> > >
> > > Kia is a off-shoot from Hyundai and share mechanics (like the engine

> and
> > > chassis). The 2006 Elentra will probably be an improvement over the

> 2005
> > > Spectrum...and should be a car to be recon with.
> > >
> > > Hyundai is on Toyota&Honda's heels, not decades behind.

> > Not technologically, necessarily, although they are building simpler
> > cars.

> The technology is on par. Hyundai's 4 bangers do come with the double
> overhead cam engine and variable valve timing.
>
> Hyundai doesn't have the experience or established parts producer to take
> their quality to the levels found in Toyota and Honda. Given the rapid
> improvements over succeeding generations, it shouldn't take long before they
> start becoming a player in the more influential comparisons test.
>
> Pars

Pars,
You may be right. Only time will tell. At one time in American history,
Ford and GM made the best cars. They dropped the ball. The same thing
could happen to Honda and Toyota. If they drop the ball, Hyundai and Kia
will be there to pick up the ball and run with it.
Jason

Old June 3rd 05, 07:01 PM
Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!!

Aveo is a Chevy not Kia.

Old June 3rd 05, 08:57 PM
S.S.

Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!! wrote:

> Aveo is a Chevy not Kia.

It's not really a Chevy either. It is a Chevy/Suzuki/Daewoo creation that
is built in Korea and (most likely) has no GM parts.
Old June 3rd 05, 10:39 PM
Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!!

GM controls majority stake in Daewoo and parts of Suzuki.... why
wouldn't it be GM/Chevy?

You sound like those retarded Saturn owners who used to claim it wasn't
GM, even though it was owned, funded and run by GM.

Regardless, Aveo is not KIA.

Old June 3rd 05, 10:51 PM
S.S.

Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!! wrote:

> GM controls majority stake in Daewoo and parts of Suzuki.... why
> wouldn't it be GM/Chevy?

I know GM controls both. I only implied that the Aveo has Suzuki or Daewoo
running parts, rather than domestic GM parts.

> You sound like those retarded Saturn owners who used to claim it wasn't
> GM, even though it was owned, funded and run by GM.

Not me. I always knew that Saturn was all GM, even though their minivan has
a Honda engine. :-)

> Regardless, Aveo is not KIA.

Correct. However, all Korean car brands, including Hyundai, lag behind
Honda and Toyota in fuel economy. And I believe that is what the other
poster was talking about as it pertained to the Aveo.
Old June 4th 05, 12:46 AM
Jason

In article .com>, "Tush
Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!!" > wrote:

> GM controls majority stake in Daewoo and parts of Suzuki.... why
> wouldn't it be GM/Chevy?
>
> You sound like those retarded Saturn owners who used to claim it wasn't
> GM, even though it was owned, funded and run by GM.
>
> Regardless, Aveo is not KIA.

Tush,
It's best not to worry about those issues since there are more important
things to worry about. The truth is that it does not matter which company
built a certain part. In some cases, parts are made by sub-contractors
that are not even owned by any car company. When a part breaks--just buy a
new part from the car company's dealership that has its name on the back
of your car and on the title of your car.
Jason

Old June 4th 05, 05:18 AM
SoCalMike

Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!! wrote:
> Aveo is a Chevy not Kia.

its a daewoo.

GM bought em, shut down their USA dealerships, then started rebadging em
as chevies. suzuki also gets a piece of the pie with a model or 2 of
their own. the forenza, or whatever.
Old June 4th 05, 05:19 AM
SoCalMike

Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!! wrote:
> GM controls majority stake in Daewoo and parts of Suzuki.... why
> wouldn't it be GM/Chevy?

because theyre made in south korea, in a daewoo plant.
Old June 4th 05, 10:46 PM
Pars

"S.S." > wrote in message
> Tush Smells Bush Kills!!!!!!!!!!! wrote:
>
> > Aveo is a Chevy not Kia.

> It's not really a Chevy either. It is a Chevy/Suzuki/Daewoo creation that
> is built in Korea and (most likely) has no GM parts.

I mistakenly group them all together (Kia/Daewoo,Hyundai) since they have
same parts supplier and produce near identical cars (but Kia's nicer
looking). GM seems to have big plans for Kia but at the moment, both
manufacture are producing similar stuff with identical engines. Somehow, It
would appear that Hyundai is benefiting from all the GM's inputs.

Pars

Should I Replace VSV On 01 Camry To Clear Check Engine Light??? [email protected] Technology 2 May 7th 05 10:56 PM
2005 Accord: iPod-friendly? Paul Wylie Honda 11 April 5th 05 09:09 PM
Honda OEM Parts Catalogs for Sale Joe Honda 0 February 12th 05 01:43 PM
2005 Accord ... Should I? DaveR Honda 21 February 10th 05 12:15 AM
2003 Accord power lock problem Steve Driska Honda 0 September 26th 04 04:02 AM