July Autosimsport - Speed 7 wheel with Racing legends...

Old July 15th 05, 08:47 PM
Tim Epstein

Default July Autosimsport - Speed 7 wheel with Racing legends...

I thought that would get your attention :-)

Its true that the author of the speed 7 FF wheel review did mention the West
brothers turning up and powersliding his ferrari 612 with the speed 7 wheel,
but this was in the dream he had the night after testing the speed 7 wheel.

Well, the review is very positive. In fact, it reminds me of those esoteric
hi-fi system reviews that rely more on psychobabble about "openesss" and
"transperency " that any pragmatic evalutation. However, it does emphasise
that the wheel is there and will be out "hopefully" in November.

I'm genuinely prepared to pay £1000 pounds for a wheel if it will last 5
years+ and be future proof. However, "future proof" is the question. The
current delays are due to licencing issues, and I fully expect (in fact
insisit) that the wheel will be fully compatibile with and support future
sims on the Xbox 360 and PS3 platforms.

To be honest, I'm not expecting this level of compatibilty.

Pity.

tim

Old July 16th 05, 11:21 PM
Shrapnel

BRD informed me that there are no plans for Xbox or PSX support at this
time.

They do not believe consoles a viable platform for serious simracing at this
time.

Though it is not out of the question that such support could arise in the
future should this be reevaluated.

Jon.

. uk...

Old July 16th 05, 11:41 PM
Tim Epstein

I respect your opinon regarding FF, however, my strong interest in Richard
Burns Rally makes FF a neccesity for me. As many others have mentioned, RBR
provides the best force feedback possible. I simply cannot control the car
to any degree of accuracy without feeling the wheels lighten or lock up
through FF.

Old July 16th 05, 11:43 PM
Tim Epstein

I agree with the comment about "at this time". However, my query was
specifically about the next generation consoles, for which I have a very
different opinion.

I'll start a new thread to discuss this shortly.

Tim

Old July 17th 05, 10:56 AM
Byron Forbes

"Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:47:10 GMT, Tim Epstein wrote:
>>
>> I'm genuinely prepared to pay £1000 pounds for a wheel if it will last 5
>> years+ and be future proof. However, "future proof" is the question. The
>> current delays are due to licencing issues, and I fully expect (in fact
>> insisit) that the wheel will be fully compatibile with and support future
>> sims on the Xbox 360 and PS3 platforms.
>>

> I've never liked FF much for racing sims, and I will continue using my
> TSW2 for the forseeable future. However if this wheel turns out to be
> as good as it is according to ASS, I too would fork out some cash if
> the FF is not a distraction, but actually helpful while driving (as
> the article implies).
>
> I am looking forward to any reviews / comments by BRD owners which
> will buy the FF version when it comes out.

Since getting a black Momo about 12 months ago, simming without FF would
be like a huge step backwards.

I'd bet anyone who's tried FF and dismissed it probably simply has not
tried it for long enough to adapt. There is a 2 week min period b4 you get
used to it.

Old July 19th 05, 07:43 AM
whooo

Byron Forbes wrote:
> "Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
>
>>On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:47:10 GMT, Tim Epstein wrote:
>>
>>>I'm genuinely prepared to pay £1000 pounds for a wheel if it will last 5
>>>years+ and be future proof. However, "future proof" is the question. The
>>>current delays are due to licencing issues, and I fully expect (in fact
>>>insisit) that the wheel will be fully compatibile with and support future
>>>sims on the Xbox 360 and PS3 platforms.
>>>

>>I've never liked FF much for racing sims, and I will continue using my
>>TSW2 for the forseeable future. However if this wheel turns out to be
>>as good as it is according to ASS, I too would fork out some cash if
>>the FF is not a distraction, but actually helpful while driving (as
>>the article implies).
>>
>>I am looking forward to any reviews / comments by BRD owners which
>>will buy the FF version when it comes out.
>>

> Since getting a black Momo about 12 months ago, simming without FF would
> be like a huge step backwards.
>
> I'd bet anyone who's tried FF and dismissed it probably simply has not
> tried it for long enough to adapt. There is a 2 week min period b4 you get
> used to it.

Amazing, isn't it? People will call FF unrealistic and then use a dumb
spring, sprung wheel instead. The choice is simple: a computer
controlled FF system or a spring!
Old July 19th 05, 03:40 PM
Plowboy

I suggest you keep an eye out for the MS FF wheels, ebay. USB only, of
course if you are in XP... dang good wheels for RBR gpl and nr03 IMHO.
Tim Epstein enlightened us with:

Old July 19th 05, 03:46 PM
Plowboy

What you say is SOOOO true, I mean it takes a properly setup wheel to enjoy
any FF game. many i think got burned with Logitech's stuff, there for a
while I know I was helping 20 other drivers with the quirks of the wheels
reseeting themselves and all, fortunately we all went to the MS FF wheels.
We just cant go back, I have tried (I still have my plain old MS sidewinder
wheel, and the thrustmaster/crapper nascar wheels that just do NOT give you
that driving feeling...

Uwe, you need to try one, it takes at least 8 hours (for me that is a week
or 2) of driving, AFTER you set one up correctly to finally get benifit of
FF you get. RBR, pfff would not be fun nor acceptable sime without it IMHO.

whooo enlightened us with:

Old July 20th 05, 04:56 PM
whooo

Uwe Schürkamp wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:46:45 -0500, Plowboy wrote:
>
>>Uwe, you need to try one, it takes at least 8 hours (for me that is a week
>>or 2) of driving, AFTER you set one up correctly to finally get benifit of
>>FF you get. RBR, pfff would not be fun nor acceptable sime without it IMHO.
>>

> Hmm, sounds interesting. I might ask my mate Marco if he'd be willing
> to part with his red momo while he's on holiday. I don't like the momo
> pedals much though, would it be possible to continue using my tsw
> pedals toegether with the momo?
>
> All the best, uwe

Yes, you should be able to. In GPL, for example, all you would do is
reassign the steering and shifting to the momo, while leaving the brake
and throttle with your TSW pedals.

Hope that helps.

Whooo
Old July 21st 05, 11:53 PM
whooo

Uwe Schürkamp wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:56:04 GMT, whooo wrote:
>
>>Yes, you should be able to. In GPL, for example, all you would do is
>>reassign the steering and shifting to the momo, while leaving the brake
>>and throttle with your TSW pedals.
>>

> Hello Whooo, thanks for your reply. That would mean I'd leave both
> controllers plugged in, right? I have a gameport TSW attached to a
> rockfire USB adapter, so I assume the pedals would work without the
> tsw wheel being connected to it as a single controller?
>
> Cheers, uwe

Correct on both counts.