Access denied! (Bloody bonnet release)

Old August 11th 04, 03:22 PM
Hughes.

Default Access denied! (Bloody bonnet release)

Trying to get under the bonnet of my 156 to check the coolant level and oil I
had a handful of nothing when I pulled the bonnet release.

I had a look at the lever and when I pulled it I could hear a little click. I
undid the two allen bolts so I could get a better look, but nothing appears to
be broken. I seperated the red plastic lever from the black plastic mounting so
I could give it a good pull but the bonnet is still fastened down tight.

It seems that whatever has gone wrong with the mechanism is at the bonnet end,
which, as I can't open the bonnet, means I can't get in to do anything about it.

My old E36 BMW allowed you to knock out one of the plastic grille kidneys and
release the bonnet by hand, is there a similar trick to getting the bonnet of my
156 open when the bonnet release fails?

--
I Amuse (I am Hughes.)
Judge Nutmeg in #Digi

1998 156 2.0 TS Sport
Old August 11th 04, 05:03 PM
Gareth Tuckwell

Mine did that - thought I had snapped the cable, but its the bonnet release
catch at the front of the bonnet - it ceases up.

Get someone to push down a little on the front of the bonnet, while you pull
the lever (gently) and it should pop up nicely.

Then grease it when you get in there!!

Old August 11th 04, 07:07 PM
Roel van der Made

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:03:54 +0000, Gareth Tuckwell wrote:

> Mine did that - thought I had snapped the cable, but its the bonnet release
> catch at the front of the bonnet - it ceases up.
> Get someone to push down a little on the front of the bonnet, while you pull
> the lever (gently) and it should pop up nicely.
> Then grease it when you get in there!!

Oh so true :-) Had the same with mine, took two persons indeed to fix it,
and grease it like it's your gf :-)

Roel.
-156 SW 2.0 '2000

Old August 12th 04, 08:38 AM
Neuropean

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:07:31 +0200, Roel van der Made
> wrote:
[....]
=>and grease it like it's your gf :-)
=>Roel.
=>-156 SW 2.0 '2000

Godfather?
You're a sick man, mister!
;-)
Neuropean
Old August 12th 04, 09:36 PM
Hughes.

In article >,
"Gareth Tuckwell" > wrote:

> Mine did that - thought I had snapped the cable, but its the bonnet release
> catch at the front of the bonnet - it ceases up.
>
> Get someone to push down a little on the front of the bonnet, while you pull
> the lever (gently) and it should pop up nicely.
>
> Then grease it when you get in there!!

Thanks, I'll give this a go tomorrow, squirty can of grease at the ready!

--
I Amuse (I am Hughes.)
Judge Nutmeg in #Digi

1998 156 2.0 TS Sport
Old August 12th 04, 09:37 PM
Hughes.

In article >,
Roel van der Made > wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:03:54 +0000, Gareth Tuckwell wrote:
>
> > Mine did that - thought I had snapped the cable, but its the bonnet release
> > catch at the front of the bonnet - it ceases up.
> > Get someone to push down a little on the front of the bonnet, while you pull
> > the lever (gently) and it should pop up nicely.
> > Then grease it when you get in there!!

> Oh so true :-) Had the same with mine, took two persons indeed to fix it,
> and grease it like it's your gf :-)
>
> Roel.
> -156 SW 2.0 '2000

Why am I suddenly thinking of Last Tango in Paris?

Pass the butter.

--
I Amuse (I am Hughes.)
Judge Nutmeg in #Digi