mower white smoke

Old May 10th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default mower white smoke

I just started the mower and it runs on and off with a lot of smoke.
I did drain off the mower engine oil last winter and refilled that with
5w30 after checking up with this newsgroup.
My guess is that I put in some gas that has been around over 6 months.
What other option do I have?
The mower has been in use only for 3 years.

Daniel
Toronto

Old May 10th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

> I just started the mower and it runs on and off with a lot of smoke.
> I did drain off the mower engine oil last winter and refilled that with
> 5w30 after checking up with this newsgroup.
> My guess is that I put in some gas that has been around over 6 months.
> What other option do I have?
> The mower has been in use only for 3 years.

You sure it isn't from the oil-soaked air filter? My Honda engine'd
lawnmower does that. No crankcase oil burned as the level never changes,
but when I take off the air cleaner it stops belching smoke.

B~

Old May 10th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote:
>I just started the mower and it runs on and off with a lot of smoke.
>I did drain off the mower engine oil last winter and refilled that with
>5w30 after checking up with this newsgroup.
>My guess is that I put in some gas that has been around over 6 months.
>What other option do I have?
>The mower has been in use only for 3 years.

White smoke? White? On an air-cooled engine?

Did you drain the gas also? This sounds like it could be bad gas more
than anything else.
--scott
Old May 10th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I did put in pure gas no mixture.
I am to check the air filter and spark plug later this evening. I will
also get some fresh gas to see if stale gas was the problem (idle for 6
months)
The mower runs steadily but with a lot of white smoke on and off.
I will double check if I put in too much oil - which I doubt as I did
check the dip stick.
Thanks a lot from your guys advice.

Daniel

Old May 10th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> > wrote:
>
>>I just started the mower and it runs on and off with a lot of smoke.
>>I did drain off the mower engine oil last winter and refilled that with
>>5w30 after checking up with this newsgroup.
>>My guess is that I put in some gas that has been around over 6 months.
>>What other option do I have?
>>The mower has been in use only for 3 years.

> White smoke? White? On an air-cooled engine?

Oil. Been there, done that. THICK white smoke that practically looks
liquid. Mosquitoes hated it. :-)

Assuming its not over filled with oil (check that first) I'll bet you
tipped the mower on its side to change the oil. I'll bet the oil
breather filled with oil, and the breather is connected to the air inlet
for emissions control.

Fire it up, let it run for a while, and I'll bet the smoke clears up in
a few minutes..
Old May 10th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

white smoke, if it is truly white, is caused by *water* - so say the
experts.

as long as the engine runs normally, I'd use it, chances are the source
for the water will be eliminated through use.