blinkerless driving in Florida

Old July 20th 05, 06:12 AM
Bernard Farquart

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." > wrote in message
> They always use blinkers here in WA state. Always. For miles and miles
> driving straight down the road, blinking away.

That's Ballard.

Old July 20th 05, 02:59 PM
Harry K

Bernard Farquart wrote:
> "Tim923" > wrote in message
> > I'm originally from the northeast and have never seen so much
> > blinkerless driving.
> >
> > I've been in Melbourne, Florida in Brevard County for a few months and
> > am having a hard time with all the cars that do not use blinkers. One
> > of the difficult situations is when I have to turn left on a green
> > light (with no arrow) and have to hesitate to find out what the
> > blinkerless car ahead of me intends to do. On I-95, cars will do quick
> > lane changes without blinkers in about a second even if there is no
> > reason to do so without much traffic. I was taught to make slow 2-4
> > second lane changes if there is low traffic and plenty of time.
> >
> > Is this what it is like in much of the south?

> I live in South Seattle, and people use turn signals
> in this part of the "south"

The other part of blinkers is the ones who do use them but incorrectly,
i.e., flick on the turn signal when they begin turning. A bit late to
do any good. Was following one down main the other day and my only
clue was they were slowing down some so I was expecting a turn, yep,
wheels turn and blinker comes on...hmm, maybe they have it slaved to
the steering wheel.

Harry K

Old July 22nd 05, 02:21 PM
Stan Horwitz

In article >,
Tim923 > wrote:

> I'm originally from the northeast and have never seen so much
> blinkerless driving.
>
> I've been in Melbourne, Florida in Brevard County for a few months and
> am having a hard time with all the cars that do not use blinkers. One
> of the difficult situations is when I have to turn left on a green
> light (with no arrow) and have to hesitate to find out what the
> blinkerless car ahead of me intends to do. On I-95, cars will do quick
> lane changes without blinkers in about a second even if there is no
> reason to do so without much traffic. I was taught to make slow 2-4
> second lane changes if there is low traffic and plenty of time.
>
> Is this what it is like in much of the south?

I don't know, but your new driving style is one you should have been
doing from the outset. Never assume that just because an oncoming car
has its turn signals on, or off, that the driver intends to do what you
expect. Defensive driving is a great way to avoid a collision with an
idiot.
Old July 22nd 05, 02:30 PM
John S.

Tim923 wrote:
> I'm originally from the northeast and have never seen so much
> blinkerless driving.
>
> I've been in Melbourne, Florida in Brevard County for a few months and
> am having a hard time with all the cars that do not use blinkers. One
> of the difficult situations is when I have to turn left on a green
> light (with no arrow) and have to hesitate to find out what the
> blinkerless car ahead of me intends to do. On I-95, cars will do quick
> lane changes without blinkers in about a second even if there is no
> reason to do so without much traffic. I was taught to make slow 2-4
> second lane changes if there is low traffic and plenty of time.
>
> Is this what it is like in much of the south?

That's strange indeed. I've driven in more than a few states over my
driving career, and I haven't noticed much difference in turn signal
usage between localities. Most people use them as second nature. I
have noticed a difference in one kind of courtesy though. On the open
road drivers (trucks and cars) are much more likely to flash headlights
to let you know when it's safe to change lanes.

Old July 22nd 05, 03:16 PM
Dan J.S.

"Tim923" > wrote in message
> Help me understand why cars wouldn't use blinkers on I-95 in Brevard
> County when doing quick 1-second lane changes. It's effortless to use
> a blinker and never hurts. Why not always use it? I've seen better
> driving on I-95 in Connecticut near NYC.

Cuz they are out of blinker fluid...

Old July 22nd 05, 10:43 PM
John David Galt

Tim923 wrote:
> I'm originally from the northeast and have never seen so much
> blinkerless driving.
>
> I've been in Melbourne, Florida in Brevard County for a few months and
> am having a hard time with all the cars that do not use blinkers. One
> of the difficult situations is when I have to turn left on a green
> light (with no arrow) and have to hesitate to find out what the
> blinkerless car ahead of me intends to do. On I-95, cars will do quick
> lane changes without blinkers in about a second even if there is no
> reason to do so without much traffic. I was taught to make slow 2-4
> second lane changes if there is low traffic and plenty of time.
>
> Is this what it is like in much of the south?

"Blinkerless driving" is practiced wherever people have the sense to
pull up and block you from changing lanes in front of them if you
make that possible by signaling.

Where are you from? I've never heard of a place where the drivers
are even stupider than the ones in Flori-duh.

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
The increasing stress of driving Alexander Rogge Driving 17 July 14th 05 05:48 AM
New Driving Laws in Florida Tom in Missouri Corvette 14 May 16th 05 05:21 PM
Ford Researcher Says Teen Drivers are Easily Distracted From Driving James C. Reeves Driving 9 May 11th 05 08:31 PM
Driving Issues Joe P. Driving 14 January 1st 05 12:33 AM