oil leak and clunking on bumpy roads

Old July 19th 05, 05:07 PM
Cheeky B via CarKB.com

Default oil leak and clunking on bumpy roads

Recently I have noticed a small amount of oil being 'sprayed' or blown by the
fan near to the oil cooler onto the underside covers of my 1999 1.9 TDI A6. I
cleaned up the oil and put in some Wynns stop leak - 150 mile journey later
no leak. Got back from journey and the oil leak is back. It's only a slight
amount of oil but I want to avoid any unnecessary upset. Has anyone else had
this problem or any ideas what it could be???

Also noticing a slight clunking noise when going over 'potholed' roads very
slowly. No real noise otherwise except when sometimes braking down steep
hills. Have had the car recalled for the boot covers but no comments were
made about the arms. Has anyone any ideas? I have heard about injecting
grease into the boot covers to stop the joints drying out, but would this
help?

Old July 19th 05, 06:14 PM
Iain Miller

"Cheeky B via CarKB.com" > wrote in message

> Recently I have noticed a small amount of oil being 'sprayed' or blown by
> the
> fan near to the oil cooler onto the underside covers of my 1999 1.9 TDI
> A6. I
> cleaned up the oil and put in some Wynns stop leak - 150 mile journey
> later
> no leak. Got back from journey and the oil leak is back. It's only a
> slight
> amount of oil but I want to avoid any unnecessary upset. Has anyone else
> had
> this problem or any ideas what it could be???

Oil leaks are never fun. Products like "stop leak" arn't a great idea
either. You may have a split oil cooler or hose if it's really coming from
that area - but whatever it is its only going to get worse so I'd suggest
you get it looked at.

> Also noticing a slight clunking noise when going over 'potholed' roads
> very
> slowly. No real noise otherwise except when sometimes braking down steep
> hills. Have had the car recalled for the boot covers but no comments were
> made about the arms. Has anyone any ideas? I have heard about injecting
> grease into the boot covers to stop the joints drying out, but would this
> help?

Sounds a lot like control arms. Front lowers are covered under the recall,
the rest won't be if the problem is with any of them.

I.