Tom and Ray on used cars

Old June 21st 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
RichD

Default Tom and Ray on used cars

I'm in the market for a used car, I note Tom and Ray offer a
pamphlet,
$4.75, "How to buy great used car.."

Can I expect any 'secrets' which aren't available elsewhere? Anyone
recommend a good checklist for a used car inspection?

--
Rich

Old June 21st 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
*

RichD > wrote in article
> I'm in the market for a used car, I note Tom and Ray offer a
> pamphlet,
> $4.75, "How to buy great used car.."
>
> Can I expect any 'secrets' which aren't available elsewhere? Anyone
> recommend a good checklist for a used car inspection?
>
> --
> Rich

The biggest "secret" about Click and Clack is that they often don't know
what they are talking about.

Old June 21st 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
Scott Dorsey

RichD > wrote:
>I'm in the market for a used car, I note Tom and Ray offer a
>pamphlet,
>$4.75, "How to buy great used car.."
>
>Can I expect any 'secrets' which aren't available elsewhere? Anyone
>recommend a good checklist for a used car inspection?

How long a car will last seems to have a lot to do with how well it was
treated in the first few thousand miles. Buy a car from somebody who
seems to be the kind of person who will treat a car well.

If you buy a car that was originally sold as a budget vehicle, it's more
likely that the first owner didn't have the money to do proper maintenance
on it early in the life of the car, than if you buy a high end vehicle.
Sadly, though, there are plenty of luxury cars out there that were abused
when they were new, too.

Ask for a maintenance log. Look around for stripped threads and rounded
bolts. Check the belts... if the belts aren't being changed on schedule,
odds are other things aren't either.
--scott
Old June 21st 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
Scott Dorsey

In article <01c8d3af$5bf9e360$eb98c3d8@race>, * > wrote:

>The biggest "secret" about Click and Clack is that they often don't know
>what they are talking about.

What I like about them is that they state flat out that they often don't
know what they are talking about. You gotta give them credit for that.
--scott
Old June 22nd 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
Steve W.[_4_]

Athol wrote:
> In aus.cars Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>
>> - look for repaint. Look around the door seals and the window
>> fuzzies, the base of mirrors, the trim around the windows, look into
>> the fenders behind the door hinges to see if it used to be a different
>> color or just look for over spray. A repainted car is worth less and
>> may have been in an accident, and if the whole car appears to have
>> been repainted it could have been a serious on.

> Or it could be that some prick keyed most of the panels and the car
> got resprayed to fix it.
>
> Respraying in the original colour proves little about crash damage
> unless it's accompanied by panel edges that have been re-welded or the
> bolted panels have been disturbed.

Or it could have been repaired on the dealers lot after delivery. More
than a few of them out there. They get delivered, get a small scratch or
ding on the ride to the dealer and the dealer agrees to repair the spot
for a discounted price on the vehicle.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old June 23rd 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
John S.

On Jun 20, 9:00*pm, RichD > wrote:
> I'm in the market for a used car, I note Tom and Ray offer a
> pamphlet,
> $4.75, "How to buy great used car.."
>
> Can I expect any 'secrets' which aren't available elsewhere? *Anyone
> recommend a good checklist for a used car inspection?
>
> --
> Rich

Secrets that are not available elsewhere in a little pamphlet for
$4.75? C'mon...let's be serious!! Tom and Ray I'm sure will offer
about the same stuff most other websites will.

If you are going to buy a car on your own you really need a fair
amount of technical experience. Or you should be willing to pay
someone for a pre-purchase inspection.
Old June 24th 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
RichD

On Jun 23, "John S." > wrote:
> > I'm in the market for a used car, I note Tom and Ray offer a
> > pamphlet, $4.75, "How to buy great used car.."

> > Can I expect any 'secrets' which aren't available elsewhere? *Anyone
> > recommend a good checklist for a used car inspection?

> Secrets that are not available elsewhere in a little pamphlet for
> $4.75? *C'mon...let's be serious!! *Tom and Ray I'm sure will offer
> about the same stuff most other websites will.

That's what I figure. Some folks here
have been helpful.

> If you are going to buy a car on your own you really need a fair
> amount of technical experience. *Or you should be willing to pay
> someone for a pre-purchase inspection.

What should the inspection include?
What should I see on the report?

--
Rich

Old July 8th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,aus.cars
z[_1_]

On Jun 20, 9:00*pm, RichD > wrote:
> I'm in the market for a used car, I note Tom and Ray offer a
> pamphlet,
> $4.75, "How to buy great used car.."
>
> Can I expect any 'secrets' which aren't available elsewhere? *Anyone
> recommend a good checklist for a used car inspection?
>
> --
> Rich

a few odds and ends to add on to any tips;

check the condition of the pedal pads. if they are worn inconsistently
more than the rest of the car looks, it's probably pretty worn but has
been spiffed up for sale. for whatever reason, people often forget to
replace the pads.

quick check for burning oil; coast down a longish hill with the engine
on and in gear but the throttle shut; floor it at the bottom. that'll
suck as much oil as possible into the cylinders and blow it out at
once, so check in the mirror for smoke or not.

generally, like people said, a real budget car will possibly not be
afforded good maintenance. likewise, a sporty model will likely have
been run hard. best bet is a pretty middle of the road plain vanilla
model, preferably owned by a mechanically inclined obsessive
compulsive. often somebody from another country will be raised more in
a culture of automotive maintenance. and often somebody with a family
will be less of a crazed street racer.

my overall judgement on japanese cars; they deteriorate by age more
than by mileage. assuming they've had the appropriate timing belt
changes and oil changes and such, i wouldn't pay a lot more for a
three year old honda with 25,000 miles than for one with 65,000
miles.

i don't like those extended warranties, etc.; obviously overall, they
must be monemakers for the company and therefore money losers for the
customer, but on the individual basis, from what I've seen, they can
be hard to collect from even when you do have a claim. your
transmission blew up? normal wear and tear. or they'll swap in a used
part from another model with the wrong gear ratios. (both of these
based on real cases i have seen)

i don't know how the above pertains to the "genuine factory selected"
used cars and their warranties though.

a surprising place to get decent used cars is rental places. you can
be guaranteed they've had all the proper maintenance at the right
times, and all the junk they auction out to the dealers, saving only
the creampuffs to sell themselves.