Lubricate parking brake cables, yes or no?

Old June 11th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Lubricate parking brake cables, yes or no?

Hi;

I'm installing new front and rear parking brake cables on my '78 Trans
Am. Front and one of the rear are OEM with stainless steel cable,
while the other rear cable is aftermarket with a black, nylon-like
coating.

I have looked through my Pontiac service manual a few times, but have
never found any reference to lubricating parking brake cables.
(Neither have I found any reference that says *don't* lube the
cables!)

I know from bitter experience that, once a cable starts to seize up,
lubrication may free it for a short time but is not any kind of
permanent fix. Also, the back cables on this car are at least fourteen
years old (which is how long I've had the car), and this is the first
I've had to deal with them. (One snapped in January, and it looks
like the other is at least semi-seized.) So the cables may work
better unlubricated (less gunk attracted to the lube to get sucked
into the cable housing), and last just as long as lubricated ones?

Trying a quick google does not give any really authoritative results.
I wonder if some of the experienced mechanics in this group have any
advice?

Thanks!
Old June 11th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Phillipson

"Steve B." > wrote in message

> There are no front parking brake cables. Parking brake is attached to
> the rear only. No need to lubricate those cables. You should be
> fine for another 30 years with a new set.

How long has this been true? I remember in the 1980s a
parking brake cable jamming for (I was told) lack of lubrication.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old June 11th 08, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Don Phillipson wrote:
> "Steve B." > wrote in message
>

>>There are no front parking brake cables. Parking brake is attached to
>>the rear only. No need to lubricate those cables. You should be
>>fine for another 30 years with a new set.

> How long has this been true? I remember in the 1980s a
> parking brake cable jamming for (I was told) lack of lubrication.

Depending on where you live, it may never have been true. If you live
somewhere that uses lots of road salt, I'd lube the e-brake cables every
couple of years.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old June 12th 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I'm installing new front and rear parking brake cables on my '78 Trans
> Am. Front and one of the rear are OEM with stainless steel cable,
> while the other rear cable is aftermarket with a black, nylon-like
> coating.
>
> I have looked through my Pontiac service manual a few times, but have
> never found any reference to lubricating parking brake cables.
> (Neither have I found any reference that says *don't* lube the
> cables!)
>
> I know from bitter experience that, once a cable starts to seize up,
> lubrication may free it for a short time but is not any kind of
> permanent fix. Also, the back cables on this car are at least fourteen
> years old (which is how long I've had the car), and this is the first
> I've had to deal with them. (One snapped in January, and it looks
> like the other is at least semi-seized.) So the cables may work
> better unlubricated (less gunk attracted to the lube to get sucked
> into the cable housing), and last just as long as lubricated ones?
>
> Trying a quick google does not give any really authoritative results.
> I wonder if some of the experienced mechanics in this group have any
> advice?
>
> Thanks!

I usually lube them with a good dose of dry lubricant. Solvent carried
graphite seems to work real well. I also like to install rubber boots on
the ends of any open style cables. I get the boots from a local boat
shop. They are used on rudder cables and such to keep water out of the
cable.

In NY at least the salt and crappy winter eat cables for lunch. It is
almost the top cause for failures during inspection.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old June 12th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

Steve B. > wrote in article

> >Trying a quick google does not give any really authoritative results.
> >I wonder if some of the experienced mechanics in this group have any
> >advice?
> >
> >Thanks!

> There are no front parking brake cables. Parking brake is attached to
> the rear only. No need to lubricate those cables. You should be
> fine for another 30 years with a new set.
>
> Steve B.

Actually, there IS a "front" brake cable on most cars.

There is usually a single cable that comes from the activating mechanism
inside the car - this is known as the "front" brake cable.

There is usually a split where the "front" brake cable attaches to the two
cables that go off to the two rear wheels - these are known as the "rear"
brake cables.

On cars like the Subaru which applies the parking brake to the front
wheels, nomenclature is likely different, but the principle is the same.

Old June 12th 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jun 11, 7:31 pm, Steve B. > wrote:
> >How long has this been true? I remember in the 1980s a
> >parking brake cable jamming for (I was told) lack of lubrication.

> Forever in my part of the world... As Nate said it may be different
> in areas with lots of road salt though it seems to my salt free mind
> that the grease would just trap the salt making the problem worse.
>
> Steve B.

More of a problem than salt corrosion in areas with bad winters is
that the slush builds up around cables and bellcranks and freezes.
Many of us in these northern climes were taught to use emergency/
parking brake strictly as an emergency brake, never for parking,
unless you are willing to get under car with pliers or wrench and
return brakes to off condition.

Old June 13th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
doug

"Steve W." > wrote in message
>> Hi;
>>
>> I'm installing new front and rear parking brake cables on my '78 Trans
>> Am. Front and one of the rear are OEM with stainless steel cable,
>> while the other rear cable is aftermarket with a black, nylon-like
>> coating.
>>
>> I have looked through my Pontiac service manual a few times, but have
>> never found any reference to lubricating parking brake cables.
>> (Neither have I found any reference that says *don't* lube the
>> cables!)
>>
>> I know from bitter experience that, once a cable starts to seize up,
>> lubrication may free it for a short time but is not any kind of
>> permanent fix. Also, the back cables on this car are at least fourteen
>> years old (which is how long I've had the car), and this is the first
>> I've had to deal with them. (One snapped in January, and it looks
>> like the other is at least semi-seized.) So the cables may work
>> better unlubricated (less gunk attracted to the lube to get sucked
>> into the cable housing), and last just as long as lubricated ones?
>>
>> Trying a quick google does not give any really authoritative results.
>> I wonder if some of the experienced mechanics in this group have any
>> advice?
>>
>> Thanks!

> I usually lube them with a good dose of dry lubricant. Solvent carried
> graphite seems to work real well. I also like to install rubber boots on
> the ends of any open style cables. I get the boots from a local boat shop.
> They are used on rudder cables and such to keep water out of the cable.
>
> In NY at least the salt and crappy winter eat cables for lunch. It is
> almost the top cause for failures during inspection.

Your idea to use a marine cable boot is the best I've seen in a while!
Thanks for sharing it.

In the past, I've used a motorcycle cable oiling kit with excellent results.
A thin base solvent carried a teflon added grease the length of the cable,
giving it thorough lubrication and water resistance. Adding the rubber boot
as you describe would make it the best job ever.

Emergency brake cables azazel scratch VW air cooled 4 January 16th 07 12:26 AM
Parking Brake Brian Mazda 15 January 22nd 06 07:12 AM
AWA [OFFER] Brake Cables [email protected] General 0 December 8th 05 09:51 PM
volvo 960 parking cables nawks Technology 0 July 2nd 05 09:18 PM
parking brake BDragon Corvette 0 April 17th 05 03:47 AM