New initiate to OIL CHANGE CLUB

Old May 26th 08, 09:51 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Built_Well

Default New initiate to OIL CHANGE CLUB

I just checked the Amsoil site. They say for the '06 Camry, there
are zero fittings and zero plugs for chassis lubrication. So
I guess no lubing under the chassis is necessary. Thank you Toyota.

http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa...msoiloaf:index
Old May 26th 08, 10:50 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Ray O

"Built_Well" > wrote in message

> Ray O, I think you're right and like your interpretation of the
> "Maintenance
> Required" light, but would you believe the 2006 _Scheduled Maintenace
> Guide_
> refers to it as the "oil replacement reminder light."
>
> Here's the exact quote found in the footnotes of almost every other
> page
> in the Guide:
>
> "Reset the oil replacement reminder ("MAINT REQD") light after
> replacing engine oil, if
> vehicle is equipped with this light."
>
> Bruce, I've been wondering about grease issues since reading a couple
> days ago a brochure
> from an Advance Auto store called _Chassis Ca Why You Should
> Inspect and Lube
> Your Chassis Every 6 Months_.
>
> In the brochure, it says to "Use a grease gun to lubricate the
> Ball-joints and Tie-rod ends. Some manufacturers do not provide
> grease fittings on OEM Tie-rod ends since they are pre-lubricated,
> sealed units from the factory. A flexible hose helps in tight
> spots. Apply until grease oozes from the seal. Wipe off
> extra grease."[End Quote]
>
> Does anyone know if the '06 Camry is one of those cars that has
> pre-lubed sealed units that don't require greasing? Are there
> other spots in the chassis and suspension that require lubing?

Since the maintenance guide also lists everything that should be done at
various mileage intervals, the writers probably thought it was safe to call
it the "oil replacement reminder light." There are lots of drivers who
never open the owner's manual so on the dashboard, someone probably decided
to have it display "maintenance required" so drivers might get the hint that
something other than an oil change might be needed.

Your Camry does not require periodic chassis lubrication and uses sealed
joints.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old May 28th 08, 01:12 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Built_Well

Ray O wrote:

> If you want Toyota to warrant your engine during the
> warranty coverage period, use API certified oil. Amsoil
> may or may not be great stuff, but I am always a little
> skeptical of claims without any kind of warranty to back
> them up.

========

Ray O, I was surprised to learn this, but Amsoil does apparently
carry 2 lines of API-*certified* oil: one gasoline line and one
diesel line, according to the Wikipedia entry on AMSOIL.

The gasoline engine line of API-certified products begins with
XL. The 5w-30 viscosity would be XLF.

Some of the Wiki entry:

"Another common misconception is that motor oils must be
API certified in order to meet warranty requirements. The
fact is, lubricants are not required to be certified by the
API, only meet or exceed API specifications. An API license
indicates that a specific motor oil formulation has passed
the minimum performance standards as defined by a series of
laboratory bench tests that include physical, chemical and
engine tests.

"API licensing was originally developed for mineral-based
oils. Petroleum motor oil companies can take advantage of
the convenience and flexibility associated with base stock
interchange, which allows them to buy petroleum base stocks
from any number of suppliers without being required to
re-test and re-certify their products. This ensures adequate
supply and competitive pricing. Most synthetic base stocks,
on the other hand, are supplier specific and base stock
interchange is not allowed. If, for instance, if AMSOIL
wanted to blend an API-approved motor oil using the same
type of base stock from a different supplier, the oil would
have to be re-tested and re-certified."
Old May 28th 08, 07:14 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
SMS

Built_Well wrote:

> Some of the Wiki entry:
>
> "Another common misconception is that motor oils must be
> API certified in order to meet warranty requirements. The
> fact is, lubricants are not required to be certified by the
> API, only meet or exceed API specifications. An API license
> indicates that a specific motor oil formulation has passed
> the minimum performance standards as defined by a series of
> laboratory bench tests that include physical, chemical and
> engine tests.
>
> "API licensing was originally developed for mineral-based
> oils. Petroleum motor oil companies can take advantage of
> the convenience and flexibility associated with base stock
> interchange, which allows them to buy petroleum base stocks
> from any number of suppliers without being required to
> re-test and re-certify their products. This ensures adequate
> supply and competitive pricing. Most synthetic base stocks,
> on the other hand, are supplier specific and base stock
> interchange is not allowed. If, for instance, if AMSOIL
> wanted to blend an API-approved motor oil using the same
> type of base stock from a different supplier, the oil would
> have to be re-tested and re-certified."

That entry is incorrect. Totally incorrect. Actually it's a bald-faced lie.

The reason that Amsoil doesn't have certification on all of their
products is simply because the products don't meet the API specification
because they have too much ZDP and hence too much phosphorus (which is
limited by the API because it poisons the catalytic converter).

Here's an e-mail from Amsoil that explains it (I'm sure this person got
into a lot of trouble for letting the truth slip out):

From: "Selbrede, Byron" >
To: '" >
Subject: Technical Service Contact Form
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 16:18:15 -0500

"Actually it's the amount of phosphorus that is regulated-- but that is
directly related to the amount of zinc that can be used as they
are combined as zinc dithio phosphate (ZDP). This is only regulated in 2
viscosity grades, 5W30 and 10W30. Other than the Series 7500, AMSOIL
lubes all contain more ZDP than can be used in an API licensed oil. For
examples of our ZDP levels refer to data sheets for AMO, ARO, AMF or AMV."

Some people may feel that a shorter catalytic converter life is worth
the extra engine protection afforded by the higher level of ZDP, but you
never know what kind of excuses an automaker will come up with to get
out of performing warranty service, even when the problem is unrelated
to something like the oil. The best bet is to avoid non-certified oils
until the end of the warranty, including the emissions warranty.

Remember, the warranty fore emissions related components is 8 years/
80,000 miles. Avoid non-API oils during this time. Use one of the Amsoil
API certified synthetic base stock oils, or one of the many other
certified synthetic base stock oils. They're all pretty much the same
when you're using them on something like a Camry, which doesn't have a
high performance engine (of course an oil with mineral base stock is
also just as good).
Old May 28th 08, 08:01 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Built_Well

SMS wrote:

> Remember, the warranty fore emissions related components
> is 8 years/80,000 miles. Avoid non-API oils during this time.

========

8 years? According to Edmunds.com: "Emissions equipment is
required by Federal law to be covered for five years or
50,000 miles."

Are you saying Toyota warrants emissions equipment for
3 years longer than federal law requires? That would be great if it's
the case.

Well, I had been considering using Amsoil's XLF next time
since it is API-certified, but I really want to use
the ASL (which is also 5w-30 like XLF), but has a higher
TBN value, meaning more zinc and other good stuff.

You don't think using ASL for 6 or 12 months is going to
hose a catalytic converter, do ya? I just wanna hear
how my engine sounds and feel how the car runs with the
ASL in it. Once I experience that, I'll probably go back to
Pennzoil Platinum, or put in the API-certified Amsoil
XLF.
Old May 28th 08, 08:04 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
*

clifto > wrote in article
> Hachiroku ???? wrote:

> >> '91 Grand Marquis
> >> '94 Acclaim

> > My '94 LHS was easy!

> The Acclaim is easy, but the arm comes out oily. Barely have to raise the
> Acclaim to do the job.
>
> --

If you spin the plug from the top, not underneath, your arm usually stays
dry.

If you cannot accomplish that, try to find an oil that contains underarm
deoderant.

Old May 28th 08, 11:57 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
SMS

Built_Well wrote:
> SMS wrote:
>> Remember, the warranty fore emissions related components
>> is 8 years/80,000 miles. Avoid non-API oils during this time.

> ========
>
> 8 years? According to Edmunds.com: "Emissions equipment is
> required by Federal law to be covered for five years or
> 50,000 miles."
>
> Are you saying Toyota warrants emissions equipment for
> 3 years longer than federal law requires? That would be great if it's
> the case.

No, Edmunds is incorrect.

"http://www.epa.gov/obd/warranties.htm"

> Well, I had been considering using Amsoil's XLF next time
> since it is API-certified, but I really want to use
> the ASL (which is also 5w-30 like XLF), but has a higher
> TBN value, meaning more zinc and other good stuff.
>
> You don't think using ASL for 6 or 12 months is going to
> hose a catalytic converter, do ya?

No. It just shortens the life of the overall life of the converter.
Maybe instead of 150K miles you'll get 75K or 100K miles, there's no
hard and fast rule. If you don't have emissions testing where you are
then you'll never know if your converter is hosed.

I just wanna hear
> how my engine sounds and feel how the car runs with the
> ASL in it. Once I experience that, I'll probably go back to
> Pennzoil Platinum, or put in the API-certified Amsoil
> XLF.

LOL, you think you're going to be able feel or hear a difference with
Amsoil versus Mobil 1?
Old May 29th 08, 12:36 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Built_Well

I do see the 8 years mentioned at the EPA site. I suppose
EPA is more reliable than Edmunds ;-) Here's the link to
the Edmunds quote about 5 years or 50,000 miles:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/toyo...arranties.html

The following quote is found at the end of the second
paragraph on that page:

"Emissions equipment is required by Federal law to be covered
for five years or 50,000 miles."

Well, you never know. I might detect a difference in engine
sound and performance between Pennzoil Platinum and Amsoil ASL.
I did hear a change in engine sound (same sound volume, different
sound frequency), when I switched from Mobil 1 to Pennzoil
Platinum, but of course, the biggest difference was switching
from conventional to synthetic (much quieter).

They're all very good oils. It'll be fun to try Amsoil ASL
or XLF.

Who knows I might even gain an extra 1 or 1.5 miles per gallon
with Amsoil. Folks are raving about the new Amsoil 0w-30, but
I will stick with 5w-30 in case Toyota were to give me grief
about the viscosity change if I ever had to use their 5-year
drive train warranty, which I know we all doubt.
Old May 29th 08, 01:46 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Mark A

"Built_Well" > wrote in message
> 8 years? According to Edmunds.com: "Emissions equipment is
> required by Federal law to be covered for five years or
> 50,000 miles."
>
> Are you saying Toyota warrants emissions equipment for
> 3 years longer than federal law requires? That would be great if it's
> the case.

About a two years ago, the check engine light came on for my 1998 Camry V6.
At that time car was just under 8 years old and had 63,000 miles.

Dealer told me it was a bad charcoal canister, and they replaced it for free
under the emissions warranty.

Old May 29th 08, 02:25 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
SMS

Built_Well wrote:

> Who knows I might even gain an extra 1 or 1.5 miles per gallon
> with Amsoil. Folks are raving about the new Amsoil 0w-30, but
> I will stick with 5w-30 in case Toyota were to give me grief
> about the viscosity change if I ever had to use their 5-year
> drive train warranty, which I know we all doubt.

Yeah, the folks raving about it are the dealers, looking for new
victims...uh I mean customers.

NEW CLUB! Velocity Corvette Club - Houston, TX [email protected] Corvette 1 August 20th 06 09:26 PM
Transmission fluid: To Change or Not to Change Yank_fan_2965 Technology 10 April 16th 06 07:17 AM
Sig Change SteveH Alfa Romeo 1 May 23rd 05 09:39 PM
Change over Basile1 Technology 4 January 10th 05 11:03 PM
Oil change John Sloan Saturn 11 June 22nd 04 01:51 PM