tires older than 6 years old could kill you

Old May 10th 08, 08:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default tires older than 6 years old could kill you

check the date of manufacture on your tires. If there is a number on a
tire say 434 (the last number after a long list of numbers and
letters) then the tire was manufactired in the 43rd week of 1994 if
the number is 2505 then the tire was manufactured in the 25th week of
2005. According to ABC news 20/20 any tire older than 6 years old
could separate and you could lose control of your vehicle and be
killed.
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/popup?id=4819387
Old May 10th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kruse

On May 10, 3:38 am, wrote:
According to ABC news 20/20 any tire older than 6 years old
> could separate and you could lose control of your vehicle and be
> killed.

Maybe so.
It is also my belief that any NEW tire could separate and kill you.
Didn't some Chinese-built
tires have a recall recently?
Actually, I stopped believing in national news about the time when NBC
did their show on the
Chevy pickup tanks that explode every time they get hit in the side.
(For you guys with short memories,
this is where NBC actually staged these explosions with a little help
from Estes toy rocket engines)
Let see now. I also remember when CBS's Dan Blather read the military
review on George Bush that
turned out to be a hilarious hoax. I'm not sure what ABC has pulled
and really don't care.

BTW, were there any tire advertisements during this show? Think about
it..........
Old May 10th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Kruse wrote:
> On May 10, 3:38 am, wrote:
> According to ABC news 20/20 any tire older than 6 years old
>
>>could separate and you could lose control of your vehicle and be
>>killed.

> Maybe so.
> It is also my belief that any NEW tire could separate and kill you.
> Didn't some Chinese-built
> tires have a recall recently?
> Actually, I stopped believing in national news about the time when NBC
> did their show on the
> Chevy pickup tanks that explode every time they get hit in the side.
> (For you guys with short memories,
> this is where NBC actually staged these explosions with a little help
> from Estes toy rocket engines)
> Let see now. I also remember when CBS's Dan Blather read the military
> review on George Bush that
> turned out to be a hilarious hoax. I'm not sure what ABC has pulled
> and really don't care.
>
> BTW, were there any tire advertisements during this show? Think about
> it..........

I think that tire mfgrs. actually do recommend time-based replacement at
the 6-10 year mark, but I've never had a set last that long. now there
are some tires on the truck that were on it when I bought it; no idea
how old those are but it doesn't get driven much, or particularly fast.
If I were to go on a long trip with a load, I might consider replacing
them.

Also, buying tires from recognized brands (right now, I've got Yokohamas
on the Porsche, Michelins on the truck, and Dunlop snow tires on the
extra Porsche rims) is never a bad plan. yes, I do recall the Chinese
tire thing, I think it was a missing bonding strip or something? But I
remember when I read the article that it seemed like these were only
sold as off-brands.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old May 11th 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >,
> wrote:
>check the date of manufacture on your tires. If there is a number on a
>tire say 434 (the last number after a long list of numbers and
>letters) then the tire was manufactired in the 43rd week of 1994 if
>the number is 2505 then the tire was manufactured in the 25th week of
>2005. According to ABC news 20/20 any tire older than 6 years old
>could separate and you could lose control of your vehicle and be
>killed.
>http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/popup?id=4819387

Where does that six year number come from? Somebody just pulled it out
of a hat, that's where.

I have seen tread separation on tires that were poorly stored, in much
less than six years. I have also seen tires much older with no separation
issues.

What you want to see is a plot of the separation incident rate versus the
age of the tires so you can make an informed decision for yourself rather
than just taking a scalar number from a reporter.

In addition, if you are driving older tires, or even if you are driving
brand new tires, you should inspect your tires whenever you check the air
pressure, which should be pretty often. Pay attention to how the car
drives. Often with tire problems you will get a good bit of warning that
something is wrong, but too many drivers just ignore the signs and keep
driving.
--scott

Old May 12th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

wrote:

> check the date of manufacture on your tires. If there is a number on a
> tire say 434 (the last number after a long list of numbers and
> letters) then the tire was manufactired in the 43rd week of 1994 if
> the number is 2505 then the tire was manufactured in the 25th week of
> 2005. According to ABC news 20/20 any tire older than 6 years old
> could separate and you could lose control of your vehicle and be
> killed.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/popup?id=4819387

The only tire I've ever had that self destructed spectacularly was
relatively new. Probably about 3 or 4 years old with about 30K miles on
it. It did so at 70 MPH on an SUV. It didn't kill me. In fact, it wasn't
that big a deal to pull over onto the shoulder.

Sure, an old tire may be more likely to blow out than a new one. But if
you don't panic, its no big deal. So I'm going to run them down to
minimum tread depth. As long as I keep them properly inflated and
rotated and check them for bumps, I don't care how old they get.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Disclaimer: This publication is the sole property of monkey #108765
Old May 12th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

On May 10, 3:38*am, wrote:
> check the date of manufacture on your tires. If there is a number on a
> tire say 434 (the last number after a long list of numbers and
> letters) then the tire was manufactired in the 43rd week of 1994 if
> the number is 2505 then the tire was manufactured in the 25th week of
> 2005. According to ABC news 20/20 any tire older than 6 years old
> could separate and you could lose control of your vehicle and be
> killed.http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/popup?id=4819387

That show is long decoding tire manufacture date and woefully short on
information actually showing a correlation between age and dangerous
deterioration. It's sensationalist reporting that I would expect to
see on the cover of a National Enquirer and not from ABC News.
Old May 16th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

Default BRAND NEW CHINESE TIRES CAN KILL YOU!!!! N/M

n/m

Old May 16th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

On May 16, 10:05*am, "*" > wrote:
> n/m

Does n/m stand for Not Mature? Just a guess...
Old May 16th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Saab C900 Viggenist

"*" > writes:

>n/m

Are they exploding tyres made with gunpowder impregnated into the rubber?
8-)

Craig.

--
Craig's Saab C900 Page at | Craig's Classic Saab Workshop - Sydney .au
http://lios.apana.org.au/~c900 | http://www.classicsaab.net and other URL's
Old May 17th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

John S. > wrote in article
On May 16, 10:05*am, "*" > wrote:
> n/m

Does n/m stand for Not Mature? Just a guess...

Believe what you wish, but at least I can read the newspapers and tire
trade publications that outlined the practice of certain Chinese tire
builders of NOT including the bonding layer between the tread and carcass
which caused NEW tires to come apart at Interstate speeds.

I thought most intelligent people realized that n/m stood for "no message",
but I guess I failed to account for the non-intelligent.