CHP Speeder Crackdown

Old June 22nd 05, 07:13 AM
Old Wolf

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:

> And motorists can expect more of the zero-tolerance sweeps this
> summer, the CHP said.
>
> The extra officers were assigned for 24 hours, starting at 6 a.m.
> Wednesday. Violators were charged with traveling at speeds ranging
> from less than 10 mph over the speed limit to more than 30 mph.
>
> The CHP plans to conduct similar operations on every major interstate
> freeway in California this summer.

There was a TV show on here recently with police setting a speed
trap and then giving people tickets. (They do this for propaganda
purposes).

There is a motorway off-ramp that's about 1km long and a gentle
downhill slope with perfect visibility. Limit 100km/h.
About 3/4 of the way down, it changes to 50km/h (for no reason really),
and at the end is a T junction where you can go left or right.
If you go left you enter a short tunnel. Most traffic goes left.

The cop would stand at the bottom of the road with the laser gun
trained on the motorway exit, and the cop cars would be waiting in
the tunnel to pull people over.

They operated for about EIGHT HOURS, in dry weather, and it even
showed the cop running out of tickets in his ticket book. They
confiscated several cars and licences too. (the law here is that
if you do 100km/h or more in a 50 zone, instant loss of licence).

During this entire time, ONE person slid out and had a minor crash
on the corner. 99% at least of the speeders navigated the corner
successfully and without danger. (You can bet that if there were
any more dangerous cornerings, they would have shown it).

You could even argue that the person only slid out because they
panicked when the saw the cops.

How this reinforces the 'speed kills' mantra, is anyone's guess.

Old June 22nd 05, 03:10 PM
Scott en Aztlán

On 21 Jun 2005 07:47:20 -0700, "dr.benway" >
wrote:

> Heres the interesting thing. while there were a few extra cruisers on
>the I5, there were swarms of them on surface streets in towns adjacent
>to the I5. The local yokels are cashing in.

Maybe they're trying to catch the people who jump off the freeway to
avoid being caught by the CHP?

Old June 24th 05, 02:22 AM
dr.benway

Could be, but in Buena Park, they are ambushing motorists on local
thorofares.

Old June 24th 05, 02:24 AM
dr.benway

Wussie!