serpatine belt keeps coming off

Old June 12th 05, 07:37 PM
deesnowbird

Default serpatine belt keeps coming off

I have a 98 dodge grand caravan..we have replaced the serpatine belt 5
times.why does it keep shredding off?

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-serp...ict124226.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=604877
Old June 12th 05, 08:17 PM
RWM

Have you ever replaced the tensioner?

Old June 12th 05, 09:38 PM
Leroy

On 12 Jun 2005 14:37:09 -0400, deesnowbird
> wrote:

>I have a 98 dodge grand caravan..we have replaced the serpatine belt 5
>times.why does it keep shredding off?

My 92 Dakota has 200,000 miles on the original Serpintine belt (I
carry a spare . Check all of the pulleys and figure out which one
is locked up .. or so floppy because of bearing wear that it is eating
the belt. I'm betting on the tensioner pulley.

"Leroy"
Old June 12th 05, 10:57 PM
maxpower

"deesnowbird" > wrote in message
news:1_604877_ed31d9979e1e125350101059e02d5ca5@aut oforumz.com...
> I have a 98 dodge grand caravan..we have replaced the serpatine belt 5
> times.why does it keep shredding off?
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
> Topic URL:

http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-serp...ict124226.html

http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=604877

More then likely the tensioner is at fault. But if the belt comes off on
turns with the A/C on you may be missing the drain sock on the a/c drain. It
may be dumping water on the P/S steering pump pulley causing the belt to
jump off.....Just a thought

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old June 13th 05, 01:16 AM
ArchTaib

my money as well on the tensioner pulley... i had one GM dealer 'mechanic'
SOMEhow manage to put the belt on the wrong side of the pulley and still get
the belt tight. not that that is the problem in your case, but the
tensioner is usually to blame for repeated belt failure, from what i read
and experience.

Old June 13th 05, 03:31 AM
Wesley

A friend's parents had a 91 Caravan with the 3.3 v6 and the tensioner broke
off on it (after shredding and dropping the belt - 2 hours from home with 6
people in it!). Apparently they went through several more tensioners before
someone told them to put a genuine Chrysler part on it (not sure if it was
just dumping the belt or breaking?, but I haven't heard of any problems
since...

I found the belt on my 92 3.0 v6 one notch off a few years back, so I took
it to my local garage and they replaced the belt and tensioner - he assured
me they hadn't had any problems with aftermarket tensioners, so that's what
they put on it. No problems so far (knock on wood). Maybe just something
with the 3.3? Anyway, something else to keep in mind in case you run into
that problem...

Wesley

Old June 13th 05, 05:45 AM
Raymond Sirois

On 12 Jun 2005 14:37:09 -0400, deesnowbird
> wrote:

>I have a 98 dodge grand caravan..we have replaced the serpatine belt 5
>times.why does it keep shredding off?

Check your pulleys for burrs and rough spots...

Raymond Sirois KU2S
SysOp: The Lost Chord BBS
607-733-5745
telnet://thelostchord.dns2go.com:6000
Old June 22nd 05, 05:35 AM
deesnowbird

"Raymond Sirois" wrote:
> On 12 Jun 2005 14:37:09 -0400, deesnowbird
> > wrote:
>
> >I have a 98 dodge grand caravan..we have replaced the

> serpatine belt 5
> >times.why does it keep shredding off?

> Check your pulleys for burrs and rough spots...
>

> Raymond Sirois KU2S
> SysOp: The Lost Chord BBS
> 607-733-5745
> telnet://thelostchord.dns2go.com:6000

We replaced the tensioner...........so far so good. Thanks for
everyone’s advice.....................

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-serp...ict124226.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=611946