transmission swap on a 89' F-150

Old September 12th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
trusouthernboy69

Default transmission swap on a 89' F-150

I have a 89' F-150 4x4 with a 4 speed tranny and i want to know, If I swap it
out for the mazda 5 speed tranny in a 89' F-150 that is 4 wheeel drive will
I have to change the computer?they both have the same 302 engine and are
identical other than it being a 5 speed and mine is a 8ft bed the other is a
6ft which leads me to another question , that wont effect the driveshart will
it, since it is after the transfer case i wouldnt think it would make a
diffrence but i want to be sure.

Thanks, Matt

Old September 12th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
SnoMan

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:03:37 GMT, "trusouthernboy69" <u26530@uwe>
wrote:

>I have a 89' F-150 4x4 with a 4 speed tranny and i want to know, If I swap it
>out for the mazda 5 speed tranny in a 89' F-150 that is 4 wheeel drive will
>I have to change the computer?they both have the same 302 engine and are
>identical other than it being a 5 speed and mine is a 8ft bed the other is a
>6ft which leads me to another question , that wont effect the driveshart will
>it, since it is after the transfer case i wouldnt think it would make a
>diffrence but i want to be sure.
>
>Thanks, Matt

If bolt patterns and splines match, I see no problems other than maybe
overall length with mounts and driveshafts but you should be able to
figure that out before hand. The splines could be a deal killer if
they do not match same. The engine computer could not care less.
TheSnoMan.com