Question octane rating

Old August 12th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

Default Question octane rating

I understand that what octane meant in 1971 no longer applies.
Just received a set of owner's manuals purchased on eBay for
my 1971 Mustang. The book says I need 99.8 octane.
Where do I buy that? Do I need to go to a local hardware store
and buy some toluene to pour in the tank?

mike

Old August 12th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB[_1_]

goodnigh wrote:

> I understand that what octane meant in 1971 no longer applies.
> Just received a set of owner's manuals purchased on eBay for
> my 1971 Mustang. The book says I need 99.8 octane.
> Where do I buy that? Do I need to go to a local hardware store
> and buy some toluene to pour in the tank?
>
> mike

You only need enough octane to prevent pinging. Lots of factors involved there.
Start with premium pump gas. If it pings, add toluene. If it doesn't, try mid
grade.
If it doesn't ping with mid grade, try the "cheap" stuff.

--
..boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.

Old August 12th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Names Nobody

"goodnigh" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I understand that what octane meant in 1971 no longer applies.
> Just received a set of owner's manuals purchased on eBay for
> my 1971 Mustang. The book says I need 99.8 octane.
> Where do I buy that? Do I need to go to a local hardware store
> and buy some toluene to pour in the tank?
>
> mike

You can adjust (re-curve the distributor) or replace (electronic
distributor) your ignition system to run your 1971 Mustang on today's (low
octane) pump gas without pinging.

Old August 12th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson, PE

..boB wrote:
> goodnigh wrote:
>
>> I understand that what octane meant in 1971 no longer applies.
>> Just received a set of owner's manuals purchased on eBay for
>> my 1971 Mustang. The book says I need 99.8 octane.
>> Where do I buy that? Do I need to go to a local hardware store
>> and buy some toluene to pour in the tank?
>>
>> mike
>>

> You only need enough octane to prevent pinging. Lots of factors
> involved there. Start with premium pump gas. If it pings, add
> toluene. If it doesn't, try mid grade.
> If it doesn't ping with mid grade, try the "cheap" stuff.

Toluene is some nasty stuff. I looked into using it but decided not to
after reading up on it. It's not something I would want in my garage,
especially if there are kids running around.

Unless the compression ratio is in the 11.0-12.0 range he should be able
to adjust the timing to keep it from pinging with Sunoco 94 octane.
Also, carbon buildup on the pistons can cause big detonation problems.
Old August 12th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Itsfrom Click

maybe somebuddy elses memory is better than mine, because this goes way
back:

there were once two different octane rating methods (seems to be they
were "Motor" and "Research") in use......can't remember who came up with
them or why, but one had a much higher number range that went to like
110 for fuels available at retail. At some point, retailers went to
"Pump" octane which is the average of the two ratings and is the nuber
you see displayed on pumps today.

so......it's possible to have an owners manual for an older car that is
referring to 100+ octane that really translates into 89 - 92 in today's
lingo. not that new gas isn't crap, but you should be able to run about
anything on modern premium.

anybuddy else old enough to remember buying gas at airports to get
"aviation" octane? for conspiricy theorists: no doubt the lower "pump"
ratings were implemented by the evil oil companies to get us to buy more
octane than we need......and how many other dumb kids like me dropped
the big bucks to put Sunoco 260 in some old roach that hardly had any
compression left and probably would have run on kerosene, lol.

Old August 12th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Al Antosca

I found this information on the internet:
STRAIGHT TALK BY JAMES HALDERMAN

http://wheels.coxohio.com/wl/Content...ight041605.htm
Gasoline octane rating can be confusing:

Wheels: Tim asked about the octane needed for old 1970s vehicles. How
does the octane rating differ today?

Halderman: The gasoline rating used today is an average of two methods
used to rate gasoline - the Research method and the Motor method. Today,
regular is 87 octane (R + M/2), midgrade or plus is 89 octane, and premium
is 91 or higher. In the old days (1970s and older), gasoline was rated using
the Research scale, which gave a higher reading. Back in the 1970s, regular
was 91 or 92 octane, midgrade was 94 or 95, and premium was 99 or 100.
Therefore, regular 91 grade gasoline in 1970 is equal to our 87 octane using
the newer method.

Wheels: Does this mean that older engines can use 87 octane as posted
on the pump?

Halderman: For most older vehicles, the answer is yes. However, if the
older engine has high compression, a higher octane rated fuel will likely be
needed. If there is a concern, you can start by using premium (91 + pump
octane) and see if the engine runs knock free. If so, then maybe midgrade or
regular (87 octane) may be used.

Note: Many European vehicles specify that 91 octane or higher is
required. However, this is specified in the Research octane rating system
and is equal to regular 87 octane rated at the pump.

Here are a couple of other articles on Octane Rating:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasolin..._II_and_octane
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

ink.net...

Old August 12th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Kruse

goodnigh wrote:
> I understand that what octane meant in 1971 no longer applies.
> Just received a set of owner's manuals purchased on eBay for
> my 1971 Mustang. The book says I need 99.8 octane.
> Where do I buy that? Do I need to go to a local hardware store
> and buy some toluene to pour in the tank?

Not sure exactly what engine you got in your Mustang or how well it's
built, but I've got a '71 Cougar (351C) that I put a few hundred miles
on per year. I will run on 91 octane with no problem but if I'm going
to get on it a little bit, 93 can be used. If you need higher octane,
which I doubt, you can mix some racing gas with it and blend it until
you find your best mix.

If it ran good with pump gas before you got your manuals from ebay,
why would that change now?

Old August 12th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

"Kruse" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> goodnigh wrote:
>> I understand that what octane meant in 1971 no longer applies.
>> Just received a set of owner's manuals purchased on eBay for
>> my 1971 Mustang. The book says I need 99.8 octane.
>> Where do I buy that? Do I need to go to a local hardware store
>> and buy some toluene to pour in the tank?

> Not sure exactly what engine you got in your Mustang or how well it's
> built, but I've got a '71 Cougar (351C) that I put a few hundred miles
> on per year. I will run on 91 octane with no problem but if I'm going
> to get on it a little bit, 93 can be used. If you need higher octane,
> which I doubt, you can mix some racing gas with it and blend it until
> you find your best mix.
>
> If it ran good with pump gas before you got your manuals from ebay,
> why would that change now?

What I am getting from this thread is, if the engine runs without pinging at
89 octane, using 91 octane will not improve performance. If the car
pings with 91 octane, tuning the engine to run on 91 octane will likely
improve performance. The engine is a 351C 4V, but with the Edelbrock
parts, it is not stock.

mike

Old August 16th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
nospam

Default Question octane rating(How about Aussie Heads?)

"goodnigh" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I understand that what octane meant in 1971 no longer applies.
> Just received a set of owner's manuals purchased on eBay for
> my 1971 Mustang. The book says I need 99.8 octane.
> Where do I buy that? Do I need to go to a local hardware store
> and buy some toluene to pour in the tank?
>
> mike

I put Aussie heads on a 351C and haven't installed it yet, (fenders off and
painting the engine bay right now).
I always thought you need to run 104+ octane booster for that application.
Am I wrong?
Can I run premium, I have forged pistons with bronze valve guides and
hardened valve seats.
Keep in mind, I haven't even started this engine yet (can't wait!!!)
Dave

Old August 16th 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Names Nobody

"nospam" > wrote in message

> "goodnigh" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>>I understand that what octane meant in 1971 no longer applies.
>> Just received a set of owner's manuals purchased on eBay for
>> my 1971 Mustang. The book says I need 99.8 octane.
>> Where do I buy that? Do I need to go to a local hardware store
>> and buy some toluene to pour in the tank?
>>
>> mike
>>

> I put Aussie heads on a 351C and haven't installed it yet, (fenders off
> and painting the engine bay right now).
> I always thought you need to run 104+ octane booster for that application.
> Am I wrong?
> Can I run premium, I have forged pistons with bronze valve guides and
> hardened valve seats.
> Keep in mind, I haven't even started this engine yet (can't wait!!!)
> Dave

I run 1971 open chamber four barrel heads (351 Cobra Jet) on the four bolt
main 351 Cobra Jet Block. I started with a custom arched Duraspark
electronic ignition system, and switched to a Mallory Unilite and Mallory
Hi-Fire IGNITION BOX. Both ignition systems worked well with no pinging on
pump premium gas.