4x4 Buying Recommendations

Old December 1st 04, 06:51 PM
Loves2Backpack

Default 4x4 Buying Recommendations

I am selling my 98 Silverado 3/4 ton, and would like some feedback on
what vehicle would make a reliable commuting vehicle, but yet still be
able to hit the trails. I am frequently on the backroads of Colorado
and I was thinking about a Jeep. I prefer the CJ7, but perhaps there
is something better. The guys at my office think I should get a
Cherokee but I don't really like the Cherokee. Any suggestions would
be appreciated.
Old December 1st 04, 07:19 PM
Rusted

The last year of the CJ-7 was 1986, it is hard to think of any car that is
18+ years old to be reliable for commuting. But I do commute with my CJ7
daily. I would look at the newer TJ models (Wrangler), the 4.0L is a strong
engine I would look at that over the 4cyl models. If you are looking for
something newer the Rubicon model has many strong off-road options, but it
still as worth on-road as their other models.

om...

Old December 1st 04, 10:48 PM
Snow

You might want to ask for opions over at "rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys"
there you will find the best knowledgeable people on all things jeeps.

Snow...

Old December 1st 04, 11:22 PM
HarryS

I can only speak from what my hunting partners do, every time we go on a
hunting trip they all want to take my jeep. They own so called off road 4x4s
but they always go back to my jeep for the back country.

HarryS

Old December 2nd 04, 05:37 AM
Franko

Hello Loves2Backpack and HarryS,

Go for the TJ or Rubicon. I owned/drove a CJ7 for 120,000 miles, sold it to
an acquaintance who drove it 40,000, sold it to a mutual acquaintance who
drove it 50,000 miles before it eventually rusted out. We all took the CJ
off-road but used it mainly to commute although the 4.2 liter I-6 guzzled
the gas a little bit. The TJs are much better with the 4.0 liter engine. I
love my current driver (98 Tahoe 6.5TD) but I sure miss my CJ.

Good luck,
Franko

Old December 2nd 04, 04:39 PM
Mike Romain

Agreed, he should check out the newer Jeep TJ or depending on budget the
YJ.

Don't expect better gas mileage than the CJ7 though, because you won't
get it. The computerized fuel injection on the TJ is a bit of a gas
hog, the old carb on the 4.2 gets a lot better mileage when kept tuned
up.

The TJ and the newer engines are more forgiving about regular tune ups
than the older ones, that's for sure. The 4.2 will start running like a
pig if not tuned at least every two years. I don't mind, because I do
all my own tuning, if you have to run to a mechanic, it can get
expensive because few mechanics these day have the first clue about
carbs. (a carb kit is only $20.00, but no one knows how to install it
so they charge $300.00 every time for a rebuilt instead of putting in
the kit)

My CJ7 is my daily driver and we take in on vacation trips too so we can
hit the bush anytime or anywhere we want. Longest trip was a 4600 mile
east coast run. We love the old thing!

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 2nd 04, 04:55 PM
Dan J.S.

"Loves2Backpack" > wrote in message
om...
>I am selling my 98 Silverado 3/4 ton, and would like some feedback on
> what vehicle would make a reliable commuting vehicle, but yet still be
> able to hit the trails. I am frequently on the backroads of Colorado
> and I was thinking about a Jeep. I prefer the CJ7, but perhaps there
> is something better. The guys at my office think I should get a
> Cherokee but I don't really like the Cherokee. Any suggestions would
> be appreciated.

If you want reliability, go with a Toyota 4 Runner. Jeeps are ok, but not as
reliable.

Old December 2nd 04, 08:13 PM
Loves2Backpack

Thanks guys for your input. I think I am leaning toward the TJ.
Anyone have any experience with buying an auto on Ebay? It looks like
the place to buy a used vehicle as long as you can inspect the vehicle
prior to handing over the cash.
Old December 3rd 04, 12:41 AM
JohnQ.Public

> I was thinking about a Jeep. I prefer the CJ7, but perhaps there
>is something better. The guys at my office think I should get a
>Cherokee but I don't really like the Cherokee. Any suggestions would
>be appreciated.

try a landcruiser, mines an 88. I pass up jeeps all the time.(only on the
really steep climbs lol)
MLM

19 inch tire recommendations LIW Audi 0 November 25th 04 06:31 PM
Buying an Audi A4 need Advise Buying a Used Audi Audi 12 November 14th 04 02:40 PM
A4 1.8T buying advice please Jon E Audi 13 August 11th 04 10:46 AM
Recommendations for very small nible 4x4 chase vehicle... Mesquito Creek 4x4 28 July 21st 04 05:30 PM
Used 156 buying Advice Please ? Steve Haigh Alfa Romeo 0 April 28th 04 09:12 PM