Jetta brake fluid turning black ?

Old April 19th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Jetta brake fluid turning black ?

I have a 92 jetta automatic 176,00km, I noticed the brake fluid turned
black, so I completely replaced the fluid and did the bleeding and after a
few days (a week or so) the brake fluid turned black again ???

Any ideas on what could be the cause ? My Robert Bently book doesn't mention
any clue to me!

Thanks in advance for any help or clue ! Regards J-P.

Old April 19th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Did you draw fluid out of the reservoir before adding the new fluid?
This is recommended so you do not push dirty fluid into the system.

Is the cap broken so that it is making a bad seal.. or no seal at all?
Maybe you need to replace the reservoir. Would an old (plastic)
reservoir let moisture through more quickly than a new one? just some
thoughts.

I would try doing the bleed process again after you check the items
above. Perhaps the fluid was so bad that what remained in the system
has polluted your fresh fluid. I doubt that the flush process is 100%
perfect.

Mark

Old April 20th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I think its the old fluid and dirt discoloring the new fluid. There's no way
to get all the dirt out without disassembly. Do one again if you wish, it
wont hurt. If you did a complete flush you're good to go...
ups.com...

Old April 20th 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

it might be the master cylinder seals, but keep flushing that fluid out over
time.

How do the brakes feel?
If

Old April 24th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default black Jetta brake fluid is ok.

JP,

VW is playing it extra safe requiring brake fluid changes every 2 years.
Many people never change it at all and never have a problem. I have 173k
miles on my original fluid. If it remains sealed from the elements, and you
have no special braking needs like dragging a trailer or living in the
mountains, do not worry. Otherwise, consider the blackening to be a result
of residual fluid in the system. If you have enough fluid, the fluid is
good.

regards,
KL

Old April 25th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

There is more to the story............
The OP sometimes presses on the brake pedal and it goes to the floor.
I recommended changing the master cylinder so he could stop when needed!
8^o
I explained that the blackening of the brake fluid is probably due to the
master cyl. seals deteriorating.

It is a good idea to change/flush the brake fluid every so often. I usually
do when I have to do rear brakes or if the fluid does start to look bad.

JMHO
--
later,
dave

Old April 25th 06, 09:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Thanks for your return Keith...I also realise that its time to change the
master-cylinder....so I will flush the brake oil clean at the same time !

Regards ...J-P.

news: ...

Green Brake Fluid coffee01 Corvette 4 January 15th 05 08:06 PM
changing brake fluid, also ABS Abeness Honda 12 November 22nd 04 04:29 AM