Radio cuts in and out

Old January 6th 05, 03:21 AM
Captain Coleman

Default Radio cuts in and out

1997 XLT Explorer
The sound on the left side will sometimes stop working. Sometimes when
going over a bump, the sound will stop working. Turning up the volume to
full blast will usually start the left side working again. The problem
comes and goes.
Any ideas?

Old January 6th 05, 03:53 AM
Paul Scrutton

Yes. Loose speaker cable attachment in the door-frame can cause this. It
seems to happen with annoying regulairty on mine also. Maybe the trials and
tribulations of owning an off road vehicle.

I routinely take it by the audio store and they put everything back together
again.
Last time I dropped it by they mentioned that the speaker had been shaken
off of the mount.

I plan to take it all apart sometime and rig up something a lot stronger.

Paul

Old January 6th 05, 06:19 PM
Vic Klein

Both left side speakers (front and back)? If only one, pop off the door
panel and check the connector. If both, pull the radio and check the speaker
connector block.

=Vic=
Bear Gap, PA

Old January 6th 05, 11:15 PM
Saramelah

My '97 xlt does the same thing! Thanks for the tips for how to fix it. I've
noticed putting the window up/down fixes the problem too, so my issue must
be in the door panel...lol.

Old January 7th 05, 02:05 AM
Captain Coleman

Both left side speakers cut out. I'm having a little trouble identifying
the "speaker connector block." Can you give a little description as too
what it looks like?

Old January 7th 05, 12:20 PM
Vic Klein

As memory serves (and not so well anymore, actually) there are a couple of
rectangular connectors on the rear of the radio, plus the antenna. One
generally has power and control wiring and the other goes to speakers or the
rear-mounted amplifier. It would be a good idea to check the connections at
the amp, too. It is located on the passenger side in the panel at the rear
near the tailgate. While you may have some electronic problems inside the
radio or amp, connectors are always a good place to start looking for
trouble.

=Vic=
Bear Gap, PA

Old January 8th 05, 05:58 AM
Captain Coleman

Got it, the connections look good. I have the basic radio. Cassette only
and no subwolfer in the back. Would this setup have an external amplifier?
Thanks.

Old January 8th 05, 11:30 AM
Vic Klein

Looks like there were 3 radio systems for the '97 Explorer. The base was a
simple AM/FM radio with no rear amp, but the next 2 both used a rear amp and
the top model had a subwoofer in the same location. The testing sequence
looks like this from the service manual:

1. If your vehicle has the rear integrated control panel, jumper C2003-4 and
C2003-9 and jumper C2003-2 and C2003-10 to see if that is the problem
2. Check wiring between amp and speakers (usually a connector problem
3. Check wiring between radio and amp (or speakers if no amp)
4. replace radio or amp

Good luck!
=Vic=
Bear Gap, PA