06 jetta pics released....

Old November 20th 04, 07:58 PM
Rob Guenther

I'm beginning to really like it... Looks like the new Audi A4 from the back,
and a GTI up front... Two great looking cars IMO.

Plus there is a useable back seat (going for coffees with 4 big guys in a
little Golf isn't the best idea - and my buddies Jetta has even less room -
roof is lower)

I was thinking Passat next year, but why bother if the new Jetta is almost
as big, has a more advanced suspension, is all new (not 6-7 years old), and
looks better.

Old November 20th 04, 08:28 PM
Steve Grauman

>Ah but if the Golf and Jetta are getting bigger, maybe it's all the more
>reason to VW to plug the lower end gap with Polo hatches and sedans :-)

My dealer claims that VW wanted to return some performance to the Golf and
Jetta lines with the 2.0T motor but that they're also still trying to move
up-market. According to him, VW is saying that they want the Golf to compete
with the 1-Series, the Jetta to compete with the 3-series and the upcoming B6
Passat to compete with the 5-series. CAR ran an article comparing the MKV Golf
to the 1-Series a few months ago. They seemed to like the overall ride of the
Golf better and complimented it's larger rear seats, but still preferred the
BMW's driving dynamics. I'm curious as to wether an MKV A3 would have fared any
better? I'm not sure if the A3's suspension is any different than the Golf's
but the MKV's have very good balance for FWD cars and a better suspension may
close the gap. Otherwise, I'm not seeing VW really stealing any BMW buyers. I'd
like to see the Polo and Lupo come to the states, but admitedlly, I have very
little interest in buying one (other than maybe a Lupo GTi) and I think most
U.S. consumers feel the same way. I think a 1-series may be my next vehicle if
a larger engine or (especially) an "M" model become avaliable. Either that or
an MKV S3 but that's a ways off and I'm going to have to reserve judgement
till' I know more about it.
Steve Grauman
Old November 20th 04, 08:28 PM
Steve Grauman

Old November 20th 04, 08:28 PM
Steve Grauman

Surprise, surprise, it looks like an MKV Golf 4-door with a trunk instead of a
hatch.
Steve Grauman
Old November 20th 04, 08:28 PM
Steve Grauman

Old November 21st 04, 12:16 AM
Steve Grauman

> And they're bringing back a 5 banger?

I'm not sure we'll see the 5-cylinder in North America.
Steve Grauman
Old November 21st 04, 12:16 AM
Steve Grauman

Old November 21st 04, 12:38 AM
Rob Guenther

I was told by a salesman at the VW dealer to except the 2.5L 5 cylinder and
the current pumpe-duse TDI to be offered initially - that is what he was
told would be offered when the new cars come.

Whatever we're getting it isn't going to be the current 2.0L

Old November 21st 04, 12:38 AM
Rob Guenther

Old November 21st 04, 05:02 AM
Matt B.

"Rob Guenther" > wrote in message
. ..
>I was told by a salesman at the VW dealer to except the 2.5L 5 cylinder and
>the current pumpe-duse TDI to be offered initially - that is what he was
>told would be offered when the new cars come.

I've heard the same the 5 cylinder. I believe it's actually designed
with the NA market in mind as its primary market. We will be getting it as
the base engine.

And for the pics posted on vwvortex.com which are of a NA model, it has a
2.5 badge on the back, so it is the 5-cylinder.